Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to know cause im in the process of replacing my radiator. and i wanna drain all my coolant also and put fresh coolant in.

What i was goin to do:
1: diconnect radiator lower hose and upper hose let it drain
2: replace radiator and radiator hoses and also replace thermostat

How do i drain the coolant inside the engine and how to do it safely?

I tried going to kia-techinfo thing but that websote do not work for me on my work comp or personal laptop. i have the latest and greatest window 7 ultimate and latest firefox and internet explorer browser but still dont work.

Can anyone copy and paste it on here? Instruction on how to properly replace engine coolant and radiator.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,576 Posts
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the rad. You can use a garden hose to "flush" the coolant in the engine. Drain the rad, put the hose in the filler neck, start the engine, and let the water flow through the engine until you see nice clean water comming out the bottom of the rad.

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so your saying is run a water hose on the top cap of the radiator open the drain plug for the radiatorand let the car run until i see clear water go thru the whole system? do i do the same puttin antifreeze in? and how much can the spectra hold. and also it recomends in the manual to not use tap water straight because it might cause of the bleach in regualr tap water.i guess i have no other choice but to do that then.

·
Super Moderator
4,576 Posts
If your going to do the flush, I would take off the lower rad hose to let the water get out faster. When you fill the rad back up after use a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Your Kia should hold about 1-1/2 to 2 gallons of coolant/water mix. It should not take long to run the water through your engine. Keep a eye on everything, you do not want to overheat your engine.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i replaced the radiator lastnight. it took about 1 and 1/4 gallon of anti-freeze.

·
Super Moderator
4,576 Posts
How did your flush go??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it went ok i guess.. i bought 5 gallons of distilled water disconnect the radiator hose n trans cooler hose put the new radiator in attach the lower radiator hose to one of the water n let t flush out the other side while the car is running and did the same thing filling it up. and radiator

1 - 7 of 7 Posts