Kia Forum banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
I smoked a newer RAV-4 tonight. He took off fast - I gave it the gusto - and whooshed by him. :) This car is a hoot! I can only imagine adding even more to it would be intoxiicating.
I didn’t realize you got your sorento! Congrats. I hope you waited that 600 mile break in period…

These guys really are some highway rockets. Jags, velosters, e90 330 bmws… they’re little sleepers in their own way.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
197 Posts
I didn’t realize you got your sorento! Congrats. I hope you waited that 600 mile break in period…

These guys really are some highway rockets. Jags, velosters, e90 330 bmws… they’re little sleepers in their own way.
Thanks!
I'm at almost 400 miles - I didn't have to floor it to beat the RAV4 though. :) It has such good pickup at medium pedal it just takes off! From a start it's a little weird with the DCT sometimes, but that's minimal.

• Haha
Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
277 Posts
Thanks!
I'm at almost 400 miles - I didn't have to floor it to beat the RAV4 though. :) It has such good pickup at medium pedal it just takes off! From a start it's a little weird with the DCT sometimes, but that's minimal.
The new RAV is a dog. Test drove one before they put the hybrid up for sale and it was terrible. I found it to be loud, lazy, and a rather unrefined ride.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
After some back and forth with Terry @ BMS, I decided to go back to the stock airbox due to boost oscillation. I'm about 5k miles into running Map 2 full time and this has been the only "issue" I've come across. The car definitely runs smoother and pulls better through the power band. I wish I could still hear that beautiful turbo spool, but going back is worth it for the difference in acceleration. I noticed the oscillation using the JB4 app and saw it wavering back and forth between 17-21 psi. This is a result of the conical air filter. It may not affect vehicles without the tune, but if you plan on installing the JB4 from Burger, be ready to switch back to the stock airbox.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Grille Car

·
Registered
197 Posts
After some back and forth with Terry @ BMS, I decided to go back to the stock airbox due to boost oscillation. I'm about 5k miles into running Map 2 full time and this has been the only "issue" I've come across. The car definitely runs smoother and pulls better through the power band. I wish I could still hear that beautiful turbo spool, but going back is worth it for the difference in acceleration. I noticed the oscillation using the JB4 app and saw it wavering back and forth between 17-21 psi. This is a result of the conical air filter. It may not affect vehicles without the tune, but if you plan on installing the JB4 from Burger, be ready to switch back to the stock airbox.

View attachment 121892
What kind of numbers do you think you are getting with the tune? Does Burger know? Any dyno numbers? I know it would take a 4 wheel rolling road.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
What kind of numbers do you think you are getting with the tune? Does Burger know? Any dyno numbers? I know it would take a 4 wheel rolling road.
I wish I could find one! There are two shops in my area with an AWD dyno, but they want to tune the car to use the dyno. I’ve already explained that I have a tune and would like to pay for pulls, but each of them don’t respond after I tell them I don’t want a tune because I already have one. Shame.

The butt dyno feels great over stock though. I’m running 93 on Map 2. If you look at the first page of this thread you’ll see the dyno charts with a GV70 2.5t and they’re at like 65 hp added. Keep in mind that was on a custom tune and ethanol blend (read the details on those posts).

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wish I could find one! There are two shops in my area with an AWD dyno, but they want to tune the car to use the dyno. I’ve already explained that I have a tune and would like to pay for pulls, but each of them don’t respond after I tell them I don’t want a tune because I already have one. Shame.

The butt dyno feels great over stock though. I’m running 93 on Map 2. If you look at the first page of this thread you’ll see the dyno charts with a GV70 2.5t and they’re at like 65 hp added. Keep in mind that was on a custom tune and ethanol blend (read the details on those posts).
Mine feels great off the line and also even at speed. I can be doing 70 and punch it and the front end lifts up - BAM doing 90 in a few seconds. It's addicting and fun. Off the line in Sport Mode it's also very suprisingly fast and fun - and addicting. I gotta learn some self control or I'm going to get a ticket! :) I can't imagine 65 more horses. I'd be close to Stinger GT territory. That car was super fun - I never got a ticket in it though. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Mine feels great off the line and also even at speed. I can be doing 70 and punch it and the front end lifts up - BAM doing 90 in a few seconds. It's addicting and fun. Off the line in Sport Mode it's also very suprisingly fast and fun - and addicting. I gotta learn some self control or I'm going to get a ticket! :) I can't imagine 65 more horses. I'd be close to Stinger GT territory. That car was super fun - I never got a ticket in it though. (knock on wood)
I can certainly say I’m not making 65 more hp. Did you get the tune?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I can certainly say I’m not making 65 more hp. Did you get the tune?
No tune yet. Mine is bone stock - oil changed with Amsoil 0W-30 is all I've done.... and an Advance Auto Hood Scoop with flame stickers on the sides and some Buick side vents. LOL!

·
Registered
Spicy Red 2012 Optima SX + GWP 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
17 Posts
On my '12 Kia Optima SX, I run the LAP3USA ECU tune (Stage 1.5+) and it rocks. But to get all the "goodness" the 2.0T has, you have to run a 3" HFC mid-pipe and Catback (stock is 2.25"). Has any thought been given to improving the stock exhaust and what that may yield in concert with the tune?

Just for reference, this is my list of performance mods I have on my '12 Optima SX:
Performance:
-LAP3USA UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+)
-Injen SRI (Polished) w/Dry Nano filter and Hydro-Shield
-Nameless Midpipe (3") w/HFC and resonator
-CP-E Catback Exhaust (3" - Burnished) w/Stock Downpipe
-Nameless Chargepipe w/Synapse SB V2 BOV tapped to manifold vacuum at TBS (no pre-load spring), no re-circulation mode (filter installed)
-ThetaII Throttle Body Spacer (Red w/O-ring seal)
-Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
-Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans, PVC and Intake sides (Black), standard SM configuration, remote drain lines w/ball valves
-Ultra Racing FSTB (White)
-Nameless Lower Engine Mount (~70 durometer urethane)
-PIAA Sports (400/500Hz) Horns
-Unorthodox Racing Crankshaft pulley (Polished)
-HKS Super Fire Racing Spark Plugs M40XL (gap'd at 0.028")
-3/8" Magnefine In-Line Transmission filter (w/Amsoil OE Synthetic ATF)
-Magnefine "MagnaFilter" Magnetic engine oil pre-filter (#3002015)
-Fumoto Qwik-Valve (F106S)
-Castrol Edge 0W-40 (Was running Mobil1 0W-40); Fram Ultra (XG9688) filter
-Shell/Exxon or Costco 93 Octane E10 Fuel (only use Top Tier fuel)

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
On my '12 Kia Optima SX, I run the LAP3 ECU tune (Stage 1.5+) and it rocks. But to get all the "goodness" the 2.0T has, you have to run a 3" HFC mid-pipe and Catback (stock is 2.25"). Has any thought been given to improving the stock exhaust and what that may yield in concert with the tune?

Just for reference, this is my list of performance mods I have on my '12 Optima SX:
Performance:
-LAP3USA UncleBoost ECU tune (Stage 1.5+)
-Injen SRI (Polished) w/Dry Nano filter and Hydro-Shield
-Nameless Midpipe (3") w/HFC and resonator
-CP-E Catback Exhaust (3" - Burnished) w/Stock Downpipe
-Nameless Chargepipe w/Synapse SB V2 BOV tapped to manifold vacuum at TBS (no pre-load spring), no re-circulation mode (filter installed)
-ThetaII Throttle Body Spacer (Red w/O-ring seal)
-Throttle Body Coolant Bypass
-Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans, PVC and Intake sides (Black), standard SM configuration, remote drain lines w/ball valves
-Ultra Racing FSTB (White)
-Nameless Lower Engine Mount (~70 durometer urethane)
-PIAA Sports (400/500Hz) Horns
-Unorthodox Racing Crankshaft pulley (Polished)
-HKS Super Fire Racing Spark Plugs M40XL (gap'd at 0.028")
-3/8" Magnefine In-Line Transmission filter (w/Amsoil OE Synthetic ATF)
-Magnefine "MagnaFilter" Magnetic engine oil pre-filter (#3002015)
-Fumoto Qwik-Valve (F106S)
-Castrol Edge 0W-40 (Was running Mobil1 0W-40); Fram Ultra (XG9688) filter
-Shell/Exxon or Costco 93 Octane E10 Fuel (only use Top Tier fuel)
I’ll be working on the exhaust in Summer. I’m either doing a secondary cat delete and exhaust cut out or cat delete and a Magnaflow (still have a brand new one for my BMW). I’m pretty sure the 2.5T has 3” pipes already. More to come when it gets warm.

·
Registered
Spicy Red 2012 Optima SX + GWP 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
17 Posts
I’ll be working on the exhaust in Summer. I’m either doing a secondary cat delete and exhaust cut out or cat delete and a Magnaflow (still have a brand new one for my BMW). I’m pretty sure the 2.5T has 3” pipes already. More to come when it gets warm.
As you can tell from my list above, I like the "pre-figured out, tested and dyno'd" bolt-on modifications. BUT, as you've said before, this is a SUV, not a sports car so one's only option may be something custom.

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
As you can tell from my list above, I like the "pre-figured out, tested and dyno'd" bolt-on modifications. BUT, as you've said before, this is a SUV, not a sports car so one's only option may be something custom.
The only thing we can keep a look out for is the GV70 2.5t crowd to put out performance parts I think. Anything put out for one of the smartstream 2.5t cars will almost guaranteed, not fit. They’ll probably be Korean sites (like Shark Racing) that will put out what we want, but charge their high shipping fees to get it to us only to realize there’s a small difference in the US spec and it doesn’t fit. 😂

121 - 135 of 135 Posts