Kia Forum banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Any updates from anyone on the tuner?
Such as? Ask specific questions and I’ll do my best. Dyno days are coming up around me and I’ll be out there probably paying for two (four; usually you get two for the price) pulls. I plan on running stock on two and Map 2 on the second set.
I still haven’t found a good place to test, but am still on the lookout.

As for reliability; I’ve been running Map 2 on e93 since install and it feels great. 600+ miles so far.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SXP
18 Posts
Being specific would narrow it down, true lol. Actually, most of what I wanted to know was more of an "in general" type of update, which is what you have given. I'll be curious to see how the dynos turn out. Does Map 2 require E93 or is that what you prefer to run? I'm sure you'd like to find a place to test soon, so hopefully that will work out for you. Do you run it in sport mode or one of the other modes typically, and does it make a difference between modes on Map 2 the way it seems to stock?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Does Map 2 require E93 or is that what you prefer to run?
Regarding the octane for the map. I'm going off of what Terry says (he's the "guy"):
Rectangle Font Brand Beige Parallel

Do you run it in sport mode or one of the other modes typically, and does it make a difference between modes on Map 2 the way it seems to stock?
I actually run in comfort most of the time and it's a light and day butt dyno feel. If I get spry (like some of us, I'm sure) and see an opportunity to surprise someone or need the acceleration, I switch to Sport. The tune actually reacts similarly to how the car originally reacts when switching to Sport. Next time you're heading up an extended uphill on-ramp, keep your accelerator foot about mid-way in the throttle while switching to sport mode. You can feel the difference in the throttle mapping they programmed. Same as with the tune, but with that additional power. So yes, if you know what I mean from that example you still have that throttle mapping they programmed and can feel the sensitivity.

I'll be curious to see how the dynos turn out.
From tuning multiple BMWs and also having similar experiences with BMS (Burger Motor Sports) of showing the tune of one car with the same motor and providing the tune to other cars with different stock tunes (like how the GV70 is "tuned different" with the same motor), I honestly do not predict an exact match of increased HP as the GV70. It does add HP, reduces boost lag, and improves acceleration (due to the reduction in boost lag). I feel like we will still be happy with the results though. The closest AWD dyno charges $150 for 3 base test runs, but they also expect you to standalone (flash) tune with them ($900) based on the wording they provide. They also offer (for $150/hour) tuning adjustments to already applied tunes. Maybe they can get some Map 6 (custom tune on the JB4) improvements, but I'm not going to go that route. I have a message out to them to see if I can get three pulls for $150. A Map 1, 2, and 3 pull with the results. We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SXP
18 Posts
Terrific, thank you for the thorough information. I get spry quite often, so I do understand that, and the butt dyno may not tell you numbers but it makes it fun. I've not switched drive modes in the middle of driving, to much fear from hearing horror transmission stories and I won't pretend to know what switching between modes actually does inside the mechanics of the car, but I'll try that example you gave sometime and see how it changes. Actual HP vs acceleration can be two different things as well, depending on the car. We may not get the actual HP results that the GV70 did, but it could still possibly mean a bigger difference in launching from zero and a rolling takeoff. I'm not trying to win any races really, and it doesn't sound like you are either, it's more about the fun of driving it. But of course the curiosity is always there, even a little, on what the actual acceleration figures are, as well as HP.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
I've not switched drive modes in the middle of driving, to much fear from hearing horror transmission stories and I won't pretend to know what switching between modes actually does inside the mechanics of the car, but I'll try that example you gave sometime and see how it changes.
Switching drive modes won’t affect the transmission. Sport modifies the throttle response. The other modes take traction and efficiency in to account. If you’re in ECO for example and using HDA or SCC it won’t get you to speed as quickly as using those two assist features in Sport mode. It’s a throttle remap in a sense.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Calling BS, but here’s another found on Facebook:

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SXP
18 Posts
Just an update. Just about 2K miles on Map 2 with E93, OEM spark plugs, Conical AF, SharkRacing BOV, and no issues. I did switch to Map 0 for the MPG test to Columbus, roughly 300 miles.

View attachment 121275
Sounds awesome. Did you change out any other parts when you installed the conical AF? I want to do that next. How did the mpg test work out for you?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Sounds awesome. Did you change out any other parts when you installed the conical AF? I want to do that next. How did the mpg test work out for you?
No other parts on the AF, I’d like to get the heat shield that @noshortcuts found. Link in my Links Post

MPG was 27.1 with and without the tune 😹

·
Registered
2021 SX
67 Posts
How is the sound with a conical AF? I had an Elantra in the 2000 and just the filter gave a nice growl but everytime i installed one on other car brands it almost didn't change the sound of the engine. I'm wandering if it has any significant changes on the 2.5T

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
168 Posts
How is the sound with a conical AF? I had an Elantra in the 2000 and just the filter gave a nice growl but everytime i installed one on other car brands it almost didn't change the sound of the engine. I'm wandering if it has any significant changes on the 2.5T
If the radio is off I can detect slightly more noise from engine compartment, I think. The real difference is any time you let off the gas the diverter valve (corrected, it's not a blow off valve) can be heard exhaling clearly. I like the sound but don't know how to describe it, besides "wooshhh".

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
If the radio is off I can detect slightly more noise from engine compartment, I think. The real difference is any time you let off the gas the blow off valve can be heard exhaling clearly. I like the sound but don't know how to describe it.
“Diverter Valve” and I would wholly recommend NOT wasting any money on the Blow Off Valve which is aftermarket.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
What do you mean the diverter valve? When you take the air box and install the conical AF some connector do not get connected?
There is a difference between a BOV and a diverter valve (what is OEM on our Sorento). You won't need to disconnect any connectors to replace the airbox with the conical AF.

Below give a quick explanation, but basically by removing your airbox we're creating an elongated BOV, but some of that "boost" is getting back into the intake. The semi-sealed air box that is stock helps keep that boost in. You'll notice a hose coming from under the sensor on the intake (it is slightly further down the intake from the sensor), that is where the diverter valve is delivering the boost back into the system. A BOV will just release the air.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
197 Posts
I smoked a newer RAV-4 tonight. He took off fast - I gave it the gusto - and whooshed by him. :) This car is a hoot! I can only imagine adding even more to it would be intoxiicating.

Reactions: C-Trink
101 - 120 of 135 Posts