Kia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
277 Posts
@C-Trink You might have already mentioned this and I apologize if so, but what was involved with the tuning process? Did the vendor ship you a laptop and software to tune yourself, did you have to upload files to them so they could tune and send a map back to you, etc? Have they recommended changing out intake tubes or charge pipes or anything?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
totally oblivious lol, I love it. You should add a drop in K&N to really make the Sorento sing, and see if she notices then
Well, I've got the cone filter. So no stock airbox. I'll probably try and find the K&N cone that fits, but no parts store carries it and it's a special order and it might not even be right.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
@C-Trink You might have already mentioned this and I apologize if so, but what was involved with the tuning process? Did the vendor ship you a laptop and software to tune yourself, did you have to upload files to them so they could tune and send a map back to you, etc? Have they recommended changing out intake tubes or charge pipes or anything?
It’s ultimately plug-and-play. Link to the kit also. You need to buy the additional JB4 Wireless Mobile Smart Phone Kit (wireless +$140) or the BMS Data Cable (+$40) to use it. If you buy the wireless kit you THEN have to buy the $27 app (which I did). If you buy the cable you use their software (not sure if it’s paid or not) and you can find screenshots of it online.

With either the wireless kit or wired you have to open the JB4 enclosure and hardwire the Bluetooth transmitter to the board (just a screw in old computer monitor connector) and tighten it back up.

Product Automotive tire Goggles Automotive lighting Bicycle part

Now here’s where I think some of you didn’t click the link in post #10. This is a piggyback tune, the wiring harness for it basically goes between your MAP and intake sensors and intercepts and changes its' output from the ECU to the engine. The tune @TD Charlie is referring to is a flash tune. When you start the car and the app for the first time the app identifies which tune you need based on the board in the device and updates its' firmware for your car. For example; my firmware is "20 - Kia/Genesis SmartStream 1.6L & 2.5L".

So the difference of each is a flash tune needs to be re-flashed to OEM to be removed. Whereas, a piggyback tune can be just unplugged and the OEM connectors plugged back in. You also need to run an OBDII cable from the device into the cabin and plug it into your OBDII port. This allows you to log your data.

The JB4 interface looks like the next picture (I took this pic not connected to the car) and has changeable themes and multiple parameters you can set for each “gauge”. To switch maps you just double tap on the Map “gauge” (bottom right here) and you get the next screen pictured after. Then you select a map and it switches. I admit it is easy to accidentally tap a wrong Map. There's also an OBDII code reader built-in. Also; when it's set, it's set. You don't need to open the app for the tune to be in effect. Set it and forget it, unless you like looking at the sweet real-time gages or logging.

Speedometer Black Gauge Auto part Circle

Font Rectangle Screenshot Brand Logo

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SXP
18 Posts
That looks great, thank you for the information ... very helpful. I'm assuming it doesn't show any gains of any kind, like in either HP / Dyno type information, 0-60 etc. Sitting on this side of it, trying to imagine how much it does and doesn't change the way it feels and pulls is a little difficult, but exciting to think about :)

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
That looks great, thank you for the information ... very helpful. I'm assuming it doesn't show any gains of any kind, like in either HP / Dyno type information, 0-60 etc. Sitting on this side of it, trying to imagine how much it does and doesn't change the way it feels and pulls is a little difficult, but exciting to think about :)
It actually does (not hp… think about how it could possible do that). It shows you target boost (ecu psi) vs. actual boost. If you remember one of my previous posts. It also tells you 0-60 times and I believe 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile times. I just don’t have a safe enough stretch that is flat enough for me to test on in a public setting. The app does use location and ecu wheel speed/distance). I’m a bit to considerate to just come full stop on the highway or street to block traffic for digs in a Sorento. Now the M6 im building for (/with while teaching him) my buddy, yeah it’s blatant enough to understand it squatting and blocking a lane of road to show off. Ich vermisse BMW. 🇩🇪

I’d like to find somewhere consistent enough for at least decent testing. I don’t care if it is uphill and downhill at the same time. I’m on a proper hunt btw. Actually asking owners of businesses and parking lots (yes we have the space for 3 mile parking lots) in the middle of Ohio no where if I can use there space. Turned down twice so far, three feelers out on other locations. I should start a YouTube channel 😅. I wanna know! Lol

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SXP
18 Posts
It actually does (not hp… think about how it could possible do that). It shows you target boost (ecu psi) vs. actual boost. If you remember one of my previous posts. It also tells you 0-60 times and I believe 1/4, 1/2 and 1 mile times. I just don’t have a safe enough stretch that is flat enough for me to test on in a public setting. The app does use location and ecu wheel speed/distance). I’m a bit to considerate to just come full stop on the highway or street to block traffic for digs in a Sorento. Now the M6 im building for (/with while teaching him) my buddy, yeah it’s blatant enough to understand it squatting and blocking a lane of road to show off. Ich vermisse BMW. 🇩🇪

I’d like to find somewhere consistent enough for at least decent testing. I don’t care if it is uphill and downhill at the same time. I’m on a proper hunt btw. Actually asking owners of businesses and parking lots (yes we have the space for 3 mile parking lots) in the middle of Ohio no where if I can use there space. Turned down twice so far, three feelers out on other locations. I should start a YouTube channel 😅. I wanna know! Lol
Right, guess HP would be out. Hopefully you'll be able to find a stretch that will work for you soon! I know you want to know ... we all want to know lol. You may be on to something with the Youtube channel idea. We have a drag track here, something like that would be good for getting some 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, but the 1/2 mile and 1 mile would still have to be somewhere else. And no, I don't want you to stop and hit it in the middle of the interstate 😆. Sport mode already pulls pretty hard once rolling, especially when running it as manual, so I would think that the JB4 would pull it even more so. If it could shave a decent amount off of say the 0-60 time, I would highly consider buying it. It's just hard to "imagine" the difference(s), but definitely not expecting you to block traffic for digs!

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX 2.5T
11 Posts
Unfortunately without actual dyno graphs or draggy/track shown improvements I won't be buying this and potentially killing the warranty. Not to mention it is still in beta mode with connectors that require zipties.

If the maker does not bother even dynoing thier own tune and providing numbers why would anyone buy one and trust it to run well?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Unfortunately without actual dyno graphs or draggy/track shown improvements I won't be buying this and potentially killing the warranty. Not to mention it is still in beta mode with connectors that require zipties.

If the maker does not bother even dynoing thier own tune and providing numbers why would anyone buy one and trust it to run well?
They actually do provide dyno results of the 2.5t. Also the connectors aren’t available from Kia/ hyundai even if you wanted to buy them.

BTW; very nice first post 😅 Buzzkillington

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX 2.5T
11 Posts
They actually do provide dyno results of the 2.5t. Also the connectors aren’t available from Kia/ hyundai even if you wanted to buy them.
The dyno is for the more beefed up engine in the Genesis SUV which is also rwd. An actual Sorento dyno would be nice.

Expecting people to pay a premium price for the tuner/wifi dongle and even the android Software licence itself should include some fabricated connectors not saying it is a beta kit for almost a year and telling people to ziptie the connections.

Maybe it is just me coming from other tuners who provide a nicer product.

Have not read anything about launch help but these really need it. Might be the slowest 200+ HP AWD vehicle I have ever driven from a dig, from a roll it is much better, hopefully tuning can fix the launch as power braking it does nothing.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
93 Posts
Maybe it is just me coming from other tuners who provide a nicer product.
I used Cobb Accessports with several generations of turbo Subarus, and yeah, I think I'll wait until something of that caliber's released by someone.

Have not read anything about launch help but these really need it. Might be the slowest 200+ HP AWD vehicle I have ever driven from a dig, from a roll it is much better, hopefully tuning can fix the launch as power braking it does nothing.
For whatever reason, even in Sport mode, the ECU isn't letting all of that delicious torque get through the transmission and to the wheels the instant you step on the gas from a stop.* I hope it's not because Kia knows it'd shred the tranny, but rather that they did it for driveability.

Personally, I'd MUCH prefer the instant punch off the line that I got from my Subarus that produced similar numbers (again, even if just in Sport mode...it can take its time in Eco or Comfort).

*Given that all 311 lb-ft of torque is available at 1700rpm already, I assume it's not turbo lag that's causing it. In fact, with so much torque down low, I figure the turbo is small and spins up super fast, so lag would be minimal.

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts

I used Cobb Accessports with several generations of turbo Subarus, and yeah, I think I'll wait until something of that caliber's released by someone.

For whatever reason, even in Sport mode, the ECU isn't letting all of that delicious torque get through the transmission and to the wheels the instant you step on the gas from a stop.* I hope it's not because Kia knows it'd shred the tranny, but rather that they did it for driveability.

Personally, I'd MUCH prefer the instant punch off the line that I got from my Subarus that produced similar numbers (again, even if just in Sport mode...it can take its time in Eco or Comfort).

*Given that all 311 lb-ft of torque is available at 1700rpm already, I assume it's not turbo lag that's causing it. In fact, with so much torque down low, I figure the turbo is small and spins up super fast, so lag would be minimal.
Gentlemen... Let's remind ourselves we're talking about a family SUV that has no business being tuned, dragged, or modified. Unfortunately, we happen to be enthusiasts that have made proper life choices to buy brand new family cars and just want to have fun. I've done something to every single car I owned because it's mine and I want it to be different from any other model of the same vehicle out there. We're not going to get "punch off the line" or great digs... All we're going to get is whatever trickles down from the K5, Sonata N, Stinger base, Genesis w/e that will not live up to any of those vehicles numbers. Is any company actually going out and looking for a Kia Sorento to put on a dyno? C'mon. One of us will have to do it. I'm not going to go screw my warranty getting a custom flash tune or try and big turbo a freaking Sorento.

@Supeg the GV80 (not GV70 like their chart says, they messed up on typing and it's confirmed on their forums) isn't really "beefed up" (10hp... estimated* and slightly different compression ratios). They (based on the JB4 logs of others) have the same stock PSI as our Sorentos both on the target ECU and JB4 logging. Burger also explained to a question I raised, "What map ran the +65hp gain that you recorded on the dyno?", that they had a custom tune on Map 6 (available custom tune map that comes with it) to achieve that. Ultimately; if we wanted to "test" the engine, we could on Map 6.

Burger MS is a great tuning company that is very responsive to questions. Going back to @Supeg 's comment on the connectors. They actually state, "This BETA system includes retrofit MAP connectors. The retrofit connectors do not have the usual retaining clips and instead are secured by friction and/or included zip-ties. Once we are able to source the correct connectors with retaining clips they will be provided to BETA customers free of charge." as well as "We also have not released EWG control for this platform yet and if EWG connectors were purchased they should not be installed. We have also not released fuel control wires as early testing has shown them not beneficial but if that changes they will be provided free of charge to BETA customers.". (Reference).

COBB, probably won't care about a base Stinger or a K5 GT/ Sonata N-line for a while. Hell; I'll probably get one of those if/when they come out also to compare. Tune it down people.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX 2.5T
11 Posts
Gentlemen... Let's remind ourselves we're talking about a family SUV that has no business being tuned, dragged, or modified. Unfortunately, we happen to be enthusiasts that have made proper life choices to buy brand new family cars and just want to have fun. I've done something to every single car I owned because it's mine and I want it to be different from any other model of the same vehicle out there. We're not going to get "punch off the line" or great digs... All we're going to get is whatever trickles down from the K5, Sonata N, Stinger base, Genesis w/e that will not live up to any of those vehicles numbers. Is any company actually going out and looking for a Kia Sorento to put on a dyno? C'mon. One of us will have to do it. I'm not going to go screw my warranty getting a custom flash tune or try and big turbo a freaking Sorento.

@Supeg the GV80 (not GV70 like their chart says, they messed up on typing and it's confirmed on their forums) isn't really "beefed up" (10hp... estimated* and slightly different compression ratios). They (based on the JB4 logs of others) have the same stock PSI as our Sorentos both on the target ECU and JB4 logging. Burger also explained to a question I raised, "What map ran the +65hp gain that you recorded on the dyno?", that they had a custom tune on Map 6 (available custom tune map that comes with it) to achieve that. Ultimately; if we wanted to "test" the engine, we could on Map 6.

Burger MS is a great tuning company that is very responsive to questions. Going back to @Supeg 's comment on the connectors. They actually state, "This BETA system includes retrofit MAP connectors. The retrofit connectors do not have the usual retaining clips and instead are secured by friction and/or included zip-ties. Once we are able to source the correct connectors with retaining clips they will be provided to BETA customers free of charge." as well as "We also have not released EWG control for this platform yet and if EWG connectors were purchased they should not be installed. We have also not released fuel control wires as early testing has shown them not beneficial but if that changes they will be provided free of charge to BETA customers.". (Reference).

COBB, probably won't care about a base Stinger or a K5 GT/ Sonata N-line for a while. Hell; I'll probably get one of those if/when they come out also to compare. Tune it down people.
Yes BMS is great for Kia and BMW tuning I am well aware of them.

Just a fyi the piggyback nature of the way they tune is still detectable from the dealership and can void the warranty if proved to be the cause, so if you unhook it before service it will still be logged.

The GV80 has 300 HP so it's 23 more, if it's the same boost then most likely aggressive tuning getting that number which is reallly good for us as a tune will pick that up for us as well.

Since you have the BMS, do you notice much difference in the obvious power loss Kia tossed in from a stop? Has BMS said they can fix this at all?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Yes BMS is great for Kia and BMW tuning I am well aware of them.

Just a fyi the piggyback nature of the way they tune is still detectable from the dealership and can void the warranty if proved to be the cause, so if you unhook it before service it will still be logged.

The GV80 has 300 HP so it's 23 more, if it's the same boost then most likely aggressive tuning getting that number which is reallly good for us as a tune will pick that up for us as well.

Since you have the BMS, do you notice much difference in the obvious power loss Kia tossed in from a stop? Has BMS said they can fix this at all?
Are we using PferdStarke or HP, OEM claims, or what? Doesn't really matter if no one has put one (completely stock) on a dyno. Our motor, the G4KP (the 2.5T "for FWD applications"), is the same motor as the G4KR (the 2.5T for "RWD applications"). Why couldn't they compensate the AWD world and use the FR version for that "extra" couple? (BTW did anyone notice that the '21 Sorento was claimed 290hp, but the '22 is claimed 281hp?)

Going back to my last sentiment, "Let's remind ourselves we're talking about a family SUV that has no business being tuned, dragged, or modified."

• • • We're stuck

Once again; in this strange new world of chip shortages (don't worry, there's not a chip in the connector, but what produces the connector needs one), materials, and CVid... they (BMS) did what they could with what they had and found a solution to have fun with cars. They're even giving BETA tuners the connectors for free when they arrive and any further enhancements (EWG/fuel control) if it seems beneficial.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX 2.5T
11 Posts
Are we using PferdStarke or HP, OEM claims, or what? Doesn't really matter if no one has put one (completely stock) on a dyno. Our motor, the G4KP (the 2.5T "for FWD applications"), is the same motor as the G4KR (the 2.5T for "RWD applications"). Why couldn't they compensate the AWD world and use the FR version for that "extra" couple? (BTW did anyone notice that the '21 Sorento was claimed 290hp, but the '22 is claimed 281hp?)

Going back to my last sentiment, "Let's remind ourselves we're talking about a family SUV that has no business being tuned, dragged, or modified."

• • • We're stuck
Might as well delete the thread then if there is no use talking about mods or if it has no business being tuned, shit don't know why Kia even offered the upgraded engine in the first place and I guess that goes for any non sports car, guess the 700 HP in my BMW X5M that destroys people is dumb too since it's a SUV.

The 2021 Sorento 2.5t has 277hp same with the 2022, the Genesis has 300hp.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
Might as well delete the thread then if there is no use talking about mods or if it has no business being tuned, shit don't know why Kia even offered the upgraded engine in the first place and I guess that goes for any non sports car, guess the 700 HP in my BMW X5M that destroys people is dumb too since it's a SUV.

You missed out on a couple of things bud. I'll let you catch up first. You and I may be one and the same (especially regarding your X5M comment).

You're 4 posts in and just jumping on this thread. It's cool, we're all here to help. We're on the same team. Haven't you notice you don't have memory seat settings yet?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX 2.5T
11 Posts
You missed out on a couple of things bud. I'll let you catch up first. You and I may be one and the same (especially regarding your X5M comment).

You're 4 posts in and just jumping on this thread. It's cool, we're all here to help. We're on the same team. Haven't you notice you don't have memory seat settings yet?
Don't need memory seats when there is only one driver :)

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX AWD
52 Posts

Sorento has 281 hp and G70 has 300 hp but requires 91 octane as it's tuned a little different.

But the data shows it gained 65 hp at the wheels from the baseline dyno run. Nothing was calculated using crank hp, drivetrain efficiency, etc.

Now will the Sorento 2.5 turbo show the same net gain at the wheels? Not sure but it is the same engine and there is a good chance it will but it's absolute wheel hp will most likely be a little under the 319 whp the G70 put down on the dyno.

Considering it's under $700 for the tuner, bluetooth connection and app is still pretty cheap even if it only gains 40-50 whp. I will definitely be pulling the trigger on it myself soon after I take care of some projects around the house the wife wants done first 🤣

Reactions: C-Trink
81 - 100 of 135 Posts