Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the KIA platform, is there a tune for the 2.5 engine for us gear heads to play around with?

Also does anyone know if the head units been hacked or rooted yet? I am going to start messing around with the android package to see if I can enable some options that for some reason were left out...IE wireless AA and ACP.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
140 Posts
I'm new to the KIA platform, is there a tune for the 2.5 engine for us gear heads to play around with?

Also does anyone know if the head units been hacked or rooted yet? I am going to start messing around with the android package to see if I can enable some options that for some reason were left out...IE wireless AA and ACP.
Let me know about both Wireless AA and any tuners for the turbo engine ? I was thinking tho if they had already gotten all they can out of that 4 if you could even pull another 20 HP out of that engine ?

·
Registered
Hyundai Palisade 2021 Luxury
37 Posts
You can probably squeeze out of that Smartstream 2.5L some 10hp, but it's already on the verge of safe boost. That tiny turbine has to work hard even in stock mode to pull that 4200lbs crossover. It already has huge torque maxed out - I can even guarantee some gasket issues and leaks as it accumulates years and miles. Imagine you will add extra boost to that. You'll lose warranty and dealers can tell if they want that it was tampered with, even by checking EPROM write status, overflow flags and checksum, not to mention other things of physical tampering. And all that for what? That extra 10hp won't really change anything for this crossover. It's a 7 sec 0-60 car, nowadays even Honda Odyssey a family hauler the size of small apartment is faster to 0-60 lol (6.6 sec). Anyone racing in Sorento will look asinine and be a laughing stock. Coming from a BMW world where an X5 50i that weighs 5500lbs has 4.3sec 0-60 and even that is no more considered anything to write home about (X5M has 3.9sec). I'm just saying be smart, keep warranty and if must mod your car - look at other things like wireless AA/CP mods and such. Oh yeah, almost forgot, that DCT - you need to baby it to begin with for it to last without issues, it's already acting on low speeds stop and go traffic, unless you want to wear that clutch pack prematurely with extra boost and torque. Bad, bad idea.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
1,073 Posts
One reason I decided on the 2020 SX, I mulled over the 2021 Sorento, but the lack of the V6 was the major factor in my choice. I've had several turbo cars, and none have been trouble-free. I've also had two other Kia's an old Sorento and a 2013 Soul. Other than normal maintenance, I did nothing to them. That's what I'm hoping for this 2020. I personally think putting a little turbo engine in a big car is a bad idea.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I appreciate the cantor you guys provided the question was a yes or no on tune-abilty not a speech on why this engine may or not be maxed out. I've already started looking at the specs and details of its torque tables and A/F, you could probably get another 10-20% easily out of this engine so if you are TOWING and doing other applications you can step it up a notch. I've also broken into its android OS and am working on a root package so that I can possible repackage a custom software for it.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line
27 Posts
While I appreciate the cantor you guys provided the question was a yes or no on tune-abilty not a speech on why this engine may or not be maxed out. I've already started looking at the specs and details of its torque tables and A/F, you could probably get another 10-20% easily out of this engine so if you are TOWING and doing other applications you can step it up a notch. I've also broken into its android OS and am working on a root package so that I can possible repackage a custom software for it.
Do you think this car can be coded similarly to how it’s possible to code the BMW iDrive system to unlock/modify features? I would absolutely love to have auto-tilting mirrors. It would also be amazing to enable wireless Apple CarPlay on the 10.25” infotainment screen as opposed to the wired setup. I ordered a Carlinkit wireless CarPlay adapter last week and I’m hoping to receive and test it out sometime this week.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX-Prestige
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will look into if CARLY or someone similar would be able to do this for us. Its going to take a while to surf through. I think with its renewed platform and updated systems there will be a good secondary market. The fact that this head unit and system is android 4.2.2 is promising. Wireless AA and ACP is very possible and likely hopefully KIA does it for us, other wise there will be several options out in the next 2-3 months that will do it for us. If someone does learn to sideload an AA APK somehow to the head unit.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
140 Posts

I know a MOD that would be kinda cool , I wish my daytime running lights always stayed amber , similar to the telluride I guess, it can be done since the turn signals are built in , just a wish

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX 2.5T
10 Posts
I too have been quite interested in seeing what I can and cannot do with this motor, considering this motor in the K5 is a 3 series killer I imagine there will be some serious performance upgrades and tunes made available for this vehicle. I just my a week ago and love everything about this vehicle I have done nothing but baby it to break it in and can’t wait to play around with it. Also there is a federally mandated law that says unless they can prove that any type of upgrade caused damage to the vehicle, it does not nullify the warranty. My SX is the sapphire blue with black trim which, I’ve found a ton of carbon fiber swap out pieces to completely change the appearance. Any updates you have or things you find let me know, as I will do the same. Enjoy the new ride

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts

The only info I've been reading about this installed is ALL on the Hyundai forums. I don't believe anyone has installed this on a Sorento based on my Googling. I'm still trying to determine the engine sizes they're talking about and figuring out what other vehicles have the 2.5T SmartStream. New stuff is hard to find info on. You'll be paying for 8 maps and only using 2 for the most part (see below). The biggest bit of feedback I've read is wait for BurgerTuning to acquire the OEM connectors. Right now you'll need to repin your OEM connectors to use the BETA model. They say when they get them, they will send them to anyone who purchased the BETA for free.

https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-for-kia-hyundai-2

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: 4psi over stock peak tapering to 2.5psi at high RPM. Default performance map suitable for all 91+ octane fuels.
Map 1: +2.5psi over stock E91
Map 2: 5psi over stock tapering to 4psi at high RPM. Suggested for 93+ octane fuel.
Map 2: +4psi over stock E93
Map 3: 6psi stock tapering to 5psi at high RPM. Suggested for high quality fuel including unleaded race gas, ethanol mixtures up to 30%, or high quality octane booster like Torco or Boostane.
Map 3: +5psi over stock E30
Map 4: Up to 7psi over stock. For use with unleaded race fuel and/or E85 mixtures up to 30%.
Map 5: Up to 7psi over stock but without top end taper. For unleaded race fuel use and bolt on modifications. May not be suitable for E85 mixtures due to high fuel pressure dropping. If using this map on E85 you should be experienced at reading your own logs and evaluating ignition advance and fuel pressure.

Map 6: User adjustable map. Enter value of boost over stock by RPM on user adjustment page.
Map 7: Progressive WMI (water/meth) map. Increases boost as a function of methanol flow & methanol boost additive. Holds boost low until WMI is flowing to avoid tip-in knock, and reduces boost as a function of WMI flow in the event of interruption like running out of fluid, leak, or component failure.
Map 8: Valet map, runs around half as much boost as stock.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts
I will look into if CARLY or someone similar would be able to do this for us. Its going to take a while to surf through. I think with its renewed platform and updated systems there will be a good secondary market. The fact that this head unit and system is android 4.2.2 is promising. Wireless AA and ACP is very possible and likely hopefully KIA does it for us, other wise there will be several options out in the next 2-3 months that will do it for us. If someone does learn to sideload an AA APK somehow to the head unit.
I've got a CARLY adapter and the pro licensed app, but when connecting the first question is what model and trim (of BMW/MINI/Supra) do you have? And looking at the app I only have BMW/Mini unlocked (had one of each). Some smarty pants is going to need to get into laptop coding these cars for now.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX 2.5T
10 Posts
The only info I've been reading about this installed is ALL on the Hyundai forums. I don't believe anyone has installed this on a Sorento based on my Googling. I'm still trying to determine the engine sizes they're talking about and figuring out what other vehicles have the 2.5T SmartStream. New stuff is hard to find info on. You'll be paying for 8 maps and only using 2 for the most part (see below). The biggest bit of feedback I've read is wait for BurgerTuning to acquire the OEM connectors. Right now you'll need to repin your OEM connectors to use the BETA model. They say when they get them, they will send them to anyone who purchased the BETA for free.
View attachment 119721

Map 0: JB4 disabled
Map 1: 4psi over stock peak tapering to 2.5psi at high RPM. Default performance map suitable for all 91+ octane fuels.
Map 2: 5psi over stock tapering to 4psi at high RPM. Suggested for 93+ octane fuel.
Map 3: 6psi stock tapering to 5psi at high RPM. Suggested for high quality fuel including unleaded race gas, ethanol mixtures up to 30%, or high quality octane booster like Torco or Boostane.
Map 4: Up to 7psi over stock. For use with unleaded race fuel and/or E85 mixtures up to 30%.
Map 5: Up to 7psi over stock but without top end taper. For unleaded race fuel use and bolt on modifications. May not be suitable for E85 mixtures due to high fuel pressure dropping. If using this map on E85 you should be experienced at reading your own logs and evaluating ignition advance and fuel pressure.
Map 6: User adjustable map. Enter value of boost over stock by RPM on user adjustment page.
Map 7: Progressive WMI (water/meth) map. Increases boost as a function of methanol flow & methanol boost additive. Holds boost low until WMI is flowing to avoid tip-in knock, and reduces boost as a function of WMI flow in the event of interruption like running out of fluid, leak, or component failure.
Map 8: Valet map, runs around half as much boost as stock.
So I just found out from the burgertuning that they have every essential plug you will need. It’s 100% plug and play the oem plugs right into there plugs. The wiring process they have is a little quirky but it’s gonna vary slightly from model to model https://www.n54tech.com/instructions/kia_stinger_install.pdf.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Turbo
9 Posts
Let me know about both Wireless AA and any tuners for the turbo engine ? I was thinking tho if they had already gotten all they can out of that 4 if you could even pull another 20 HP out of that engine ?
I just ordered a JDM Pro-M tuner specific for the 21 Sorento with

I found a JDM Pro-M Stage 4 tuner with an LCD screen. They claim +40 hp, +40 ft tq

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts

I found a JDM Pro-M Stage 4 tuner with an LCD screen. They claim +40 hp, +40 ft tq
Is there any reference to engine type on there? I’d be pretty nervous tuning with a product that’s not specific for my exact engine. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
197 Posts

Let us know how it does. I can't imagine a "chip" that just connects to the OBD2 connector that actually works. Anything is possible I suppose.

Reactions: C-Trink

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
471 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX 2.5T
10 Posts
So installed the JB4 tuner from burger tuning today on map which is 2.5psi over stock boost you can feel the difference, I also decided that since there is no intake yet for this bad boy I bought a spectre intake cone attached to the stock intake tubing a voila all kinds of turbo noises and bov sounds. My plug and play BOV from shark racing should be here any day now as well. And finally the HKS M45XL Spark Plugs one step colder gapped at 0.022 so I can run the higher boost and different maps. Will keep everyone posted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Let us know how it does. I can't imagine a "chip" that just connects to the OBD2 connector that actually works. Anything is possible I suppose.
This was 299 and is more than a "chip" i have built numerous other cars and went this route because it was the most mild. The JDM M Pro Stage 4 is an LCD display that shows the turbine pressure, mass air flow pressure, A/F ratio, etc. You can also run 0-60, 1/4 mile times and a breaking test. Supposedly its mapped out to exploit more horsepower from the ECU by increasing the boost pressure on the turbo and the a/f ratio. The story that the company sells is that manufacturers do not produce the cars with everything cranked up because they have to meet EPA fuel consumption rules. It has a 1 year or lifetime money back guarantee. I will let you know how it plays out. Anyone locate a cold air induction system? I started taking apart the air filter housing and found that its actually routed and into a three scoop set up that is located behind the grill. There is always a better option than stock.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 - 20 of 135 Posts