Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 kia sorento LX 4wd
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find out if pulling the oil filter out first then draining is the right procedure when changing oil.

I've always pulled the plug first then pulled the filter, but I found a video on YouTude where the guy says pulling the filter first and waiting for oil to drain into the pan is the first thing to do before pulling the plug. I did more research and found a website saying pull Drain first then filter to reduce oil spit up from the oil filter housing.

I just wanted to get some opinions on this and see if there was really some procedure on changing oil?? I really see no difference since I let the oil drain half the day anyways.

Thanks for the comments and I ride a 2008 kia sorento 3.3

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,531 Posts
Drain plug first, never seen ANYONE do the filter first.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
It's usual to warm up the engine to help the draining process, and the priority would be to drain the crankcase while the oil is still hot, rather than doing the filter first.

I used to warm the engine to about 60°C (i.e."around the block") before changing the oil. Draining happened in a few minutes and there was little danger of getting burnt by hot oil.

Removing the filter first on a warm engine will cause a mess as there will be some oil above the level of the filter. Depending on the design of the filter and its location, much of the oil in the filter should drain via the crankcase.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,411 Posts
There is nothing wrong with doing either way, the end result is still the same and the same amount of oil gets changed. Personally, I drain first, then lower the vehicle, change the filter, and fill it.

The most important thing on these engines is to use the correct filter, and change the o-rings on the cap and post every time the oil is changed. This is more important than the order the oil is drained and the filter changed.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I always do the oil first then the filter just before refilling and starting. I always worry if you leave the filter off for too long without oil in the sump the oil pump might unprime.

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Anyone else know if KIA oil pumps need priming? Probably only important if the engine is completely free of oil, e.g. a rebuild.

Seems that it might not be a good idea to let the oil drain for an extended period before refilling. As oregonbob says: I let the oil drain half the day anyways.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,486 Posts
I always do the oil first then the filter just before refilling and starting. I always worry if you leave the filter off for too long without oil in the sump the oil pump might unprime.
I don't think it is a concern. I think you guys are sweating the small stuff. In 40 some odd years of changing oil and working on cars I have never had an engine not prime and pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
More than anything, the basic oil change is a great way to connect with your vehicle and take some control over its maintenance.
Make sure to match the oil's viscosity to your engine.

You may also need to raise the car to gain access, in which case you'll need a floor jack and safety stands, or a pair of purpose-made steel ramps.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmar
I don't think it is a concern. I think you guys are sweating the small stuff. In 40 some odd years of changing oil and working on cars I have never had an engine not prime and pump.

In 35 years of working on cars, albeit not professionally, I've not had it happen either, but hey maybe I was just lucky ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts