Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorrento AWD EX V6
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 9000 miles on my 2012 Sorrento and I love the car. But I was wondering... I notice a clicking sound in the gear shifter when I hit the brakes. I can also feel a slight movement on the gear shifter when I tap the brakes. Is that normal?

When I had my first oil change at the Kia dealership I mentioned this to them and asked if that was normal. It's not loud or really problematic but it seems odd to me. After checking it the dealership said that it doesn't appear to be a problem but "lets see what happens". That didn't really didn't make me feel too comfortable.

Thanks...

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
I'd say no
because i do not hear any sound when i shift manually, also no sound when i leave it in auto

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
solenoid needs to be replaced, go to the dealer get it changed, there's a thread on this...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'd say no
because i do not hear any sound when i shift manually, also no sound when i leave it in auto
Actually I don't hear this clicking sound when shifting. Only when braking. For example... I'm stopped but the car is in drive. If I tap the brakes I can hear the clicking and feel that clicking in the gear shifter.

I'm trying to find information on this solenoid issue Kobi411 mentioned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update... I couldn't really find any info on this problem being a solenoid problem. I read the sticky TSB notice on this forum but that doesn't sound like the same problem so I decided to call Kia and ask them. I explained the issue to the rep. When I tap the brakes I hear a clicking sound for each tap and feel a slight motion in the gear shifter. The rep told me that he owns a Sorento as well and he does not have that issue and that there should not be this clicking sound. He told me that he would research the issue and get back to me within a day or so. I am bring this up because when I bring the car back to the dealership for it's 10,000 mile visit... I don't think I want to accept their... lets see if it becomes a problem later on.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
768 Posts
This is the shift interlock. A solenoid engages and disengages to allow or prevent shift from Park. So, for example, you don't shift into part while on the highway.

It engages when shifting from park into gear. You must have the brake depressed to shift out of park.

It also engages at about 20km/hr. This is to prevent shifting into park above that speed.

This is how I understand it and what I see when driving.

Initially, I didn't notice the clicking but it seems to be getting louder. Not an issue now and will bring it up at some point.

This post discusses it more: http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/73600-clicking-noise-when-i-hit-brakes.html

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
7 Posts
Update... I couldn't really find any info on this problem being a solenoid problem. I read the sticky TSB notice on this forum but that doesn't sound like the same problem so I decided to call Kia and ask them. I explained the issue to the rep. When I tap the brakes I hear a clicking sound for each tap and feel a slight motion in the gear shifter. The rep told me that he owns a Sorento as well and he does not have that issue and that there should not be this clicking sound. He told me that he would research the issue and get back to me within a day or so. I am bring this up because when I bring the car back to the dealership for it's 10,000 mile visit... I don't think I want to accept their... lets see if it becomes a problem later on.
I have told the dealership about this issue many times and they say there is nothing they can do about it and all the Sorento's do this, I have seen notices from other owners in other countries who have had this problem fixed, but not yet in Canada

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Upate... so Kobi411 and VIM were correct. It was the solenoid. When I did call Kia they in fact called me back 3 days later to say that I should take the car back to the dealership and get it corrected. The rep said that when he called my dealership, the dealership told him that they couldn't reproduce the sound I was complaining about. That was a lie. I took the car back to the dealership and I said nothing about Kia calling them or me but just said if they could look at the problem again. They did and said that it was louder and that the solenoid needs to be replaced. They had to order it and 3 days later the car was fixed. I credit KIA for putting pressure on the dealership to resolve the problem. If you have this problem... I suggest you call KIA and let them speak with the dealership. This is the second time I had to call Kia about an issue with my new car and both times I was happy with their response and the pressure they made on the dealership to resolve the issue.

CUE...

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I have been noticing this as of late and its annoying me more and more. Is the noise normal or does it mean that the solenoid needs to be replaced? Has anyone that has had it replaced noticed that the noise is no longer there?

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
yes, even here in canada, they replaced the solenoid, and the clicking is gone...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... that solenoid I did have the dealership replace several months ago worked perfectly.... until this weekend. The clicking sound has returned. Not as bad as it was before they replaced it but I suspect that it will only get louder and louder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to chime in - I found this forum because I also had this issue in my 2011 Sorento. I initially had it in 2012 with @ 8,000 miles. The dealership supposedly replaced the gear shift (not just the solenoid) and it was fixed. It started back up again about 6 months ago and is progressively getting worse. I took it in again (do a different dealer since I was out of state) who told me this is "normal" and they don't want to replace anything. I am getting frustrated since I have never had a vehicle with any type of clicking (even minor) especially that I can feel in the gear shift. I figured I would see what other owners were saying before trying to duke it out with Kia again. Looks like I may have to contact them directly instead of going thru the dealer so I can get it resolved...frustrating!!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
This has been covered a lot.

There's some kind of electric solenoid that is linked to the brake pedal. It clicks every time you press the brake at low speeds. It's super annoying and makes an expensive vehicle feel like a clunker.

I've also experienced dealers that claim it's normal and ones that replace it.

If you check carefully, practically every Hyundai and Kia with the same drive train have this 'feature'. However the amount of clunking and clicking and thumping will vary. On some it is barely perceptible, some it is more obvious.

The only solution seems to be constant solenoid changes, which of course requires you win the dealer lottery and find the rare one that cares.

It seems to be inherent in Hyundai/Kia solenoids, as the door and trunk lock ones are also clunky and noisy.

It's remarkable that they could have a lot of advanced design features but still have such a low end solenoid system.

·
Registered
2011 KIA SORENTO LX 3.5L AWD - PACIFIC BLUE/BLACK
64 Posts
i have this on my 2011 LX V6 AWD and it is super annoying. this has been since just about new but since the car only has about 7000 mi... but i will be getting this one corrected. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem. My dealer told me that this is normal, and that replacing it won't help, as the new one will do the same thing.
"OK. So if this is normal, then I suppose it was broke when I bought the car, as it didn't make a noise then".
I'm ready to get rid of the car, just for this problem (along with other issues with it).
Can anyone tell me where to find this number for Kia?
I'd like to give them a call myself.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Normal doesn't mean proper. Normal doesn't mean acceptable. The routine of solenoid replacement may continue until Kia finds a better supplier of the solenoid or the find whatever else is the problem causing the solenoid to fail.

What 10,000 mile service? Aren't they due every 7,500 miles?...that's according to my book. Don't let the stealership dupe you into paying for more service than the car needs.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
Mine was making a slight clicking noise when putting on the brake. Most noticeable at low speed. Dealer said KIA had a notice on it, some plastic part not holding up. Ordered the latest change and actually rplaced the entire shifter assembly. Told that is the way KIA Hqtrs. wanted to do it. Really been extremely happy with the way KIA deals with an identified problem. No sh*tting around. They seem to replace the entire thing as an upgrade. Much better than with my Lexus. Shifter now works fine and no noise.:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is an easier fix for this. The lockout lever pivots on a rod, some extra thick lube gets applied to this rod and the noise is gone. Iv'e repaired tons this way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts