Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not so sure. My old early 90's civic always got excellent fuel economy no matter how you drove it. Obviously the rio is heavier but still...

To get decent fuel numbers in the rio doesn't come easily.

Still love the car though...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
If you are constantly driving the same terrain you should get consistent gas mileage. However, there are many variables. The biggest variable is the driver. Mechanics Illustrated just did an interesting article. They took five different cars and five different drivers. Each driver drove all the cars over the same preset course. The MPG was checked after each driver ran a car through the course. At times there was a 4 MPG difference between drivers.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
At times there was a 4 MPG difference between drivers.
Yes, I think we all realize that different drivers can make a difference with MPG. But I think the OP is suggesting that the same driver (driving the same way as he/she always does) is getting much different results in two different cars that have similar EPA ratings.

And I agree, it doesn't seem right. But I can tell you - from my days of selling Hondas - that Honda tends to list more conservative "real world" EPA numbers. However, I believe that the majority of other manufacturers (Kia included) tend to push the EPA envelope, in an effort to get more favorable numbers for the automotive press.

In fact, if you peruse the forums at Vtec.net, you'll see that many Honda owners are quite happy with their mileage - even driving their cars without "hyper-miling".

As for my own Rio, I just went through my very first tank of gas (with eco off and not trying to save gas), and managed 450kms in mostly city driving. I haven't calculated what that is yet, but it seems pretty decent already - and should only get better. I'm happy :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
If you are constantly driving the same terrain you should get consistent gas mileage. However, there are many variables. The biggest variable is the driver. Mechanics Illustrated just did an interesting article. They took five different cars and five different drivers. Each driver drove all the cars over the same preset course. The MPG was checked after each driver ran a car through the course. At times there was a 4 MPG difference between drivers.
interesting you should mention that as many years ago when I worked for a dealership (Ford) we did something similar as a challenge. In our case it was the same car (a Comet I think) and we mounted a fuel bottle on the hood to measure precisely the amount of fuel used (due to the relatively short distance). We had a preset route, in local traffic from the dealership over a few miles and returning back to the dealership. Each person (who wanted to do it) took a turn over a few days. There was a 10 mpg spread between the lowest and best - interesting test :D
Just shows how the driver and traffic conditions changes can drastically effect mpg. I can't remember exactly how many people took place but I would think 12-15.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My driving is pretty much the same roads, around the same time, in the same traffic.

I get rather consistent numbers - I'm very happy with my 2012 Kia Rio Sedan. I actually do get the advertised 40MPG if I'm taking it easy. On one long distance road trip (flat texas driving) I actually got slightly better than 40mpg, and that's without cruise control!

Keep in mind - even wind conditions can really mess up MPG. if you are driving against a headwind of 15-20mph, that can really mess up your figures. Just like driving with a tail wind can make you seem like a hypermiler.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
12 Rio SX. On a 120 mile trip on an interstate I got 38.5 MPG at a steady 70MPH. At 80MPH I dropped to 34MPG. All absolutely flat road. 400 pound passenger load. Tires inflated to 33PSI.

·
Registered
2013 Rio Ex ECO
5 Posts
The flat front end seems to hurt the mpg's. Headwinds make a big difference. Try drafting a large vehicle when on the highway.
You can even try some evil laughter as your mpg increases dramatically!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts