Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Somebody very unhelpfully smashed my car passenger window, and whatever they smashed it with had gone on to hit the gear stick with some force.

I now have the problem that the positions of the gears have now 'shifted' to the right. i.e. What used to be first gear is now reverse, to select first you have to put it to what used to be third, and so on. Also the amount of side movement between the gears is reduced.

I suspect that the linkage rod are bent somewhere. I can't see any visible damage to them. The forward /back movement of the gear stick is fine, just the side to side action is altered.

Any advice would be most welcome. The car is a 2016 Ceed estate, 1.6 diesel.

Many thanks,

Simon

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Hi All,

Somebody very unhelpfully smashed my car passenger window, and whatever they smashed it with had gone on to hit the gear stick with some force.

I now have the problem that the positions of the gears have now 'shifted' to the right. i.e. What used to be first gear is now reverse, to select first you have to put it to what used to be third, and so on. Also the amount of side movement between the gears is reduced.

I suspect that the linkage rod are bent somewhere. I can't see any visible damage to them. The forward /back movement of the gear stick is fine, just the side to side action is altered.

Any advice would be most welcome. The car is a 2016 Ceed estate, 1.6 diesel.

Many thanks,

Simon
Please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, your shifter is damaged and will need replacement.
Might be covered under insurance. Check with your agent.
Sorry you got broken into......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts