Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the sort of long post

I own a 2013 Kia Sportage SX and a couple weeks ago it stalled on my way home from work. I managed to pull it into a nearby parking lot and tried to turn it on again, but it wouldn't start. I let it sit for a couple hours and tried again, but it still didn't turn on. I managed to tow my vehicle home and tried to figure out what was wrong, which in turn led to me finding out about the recall for my specific Sportage and this forum. This is the first time I've owned a push-to-start vehicle so I figured this was a good place to find out if people with experience would be able to help me out. I also didn't want to risk towing my vehicle to the nearest Kia dealership which is four cities away just for them to tell me that it's not the problem resulting in me having a large, unnecessary towing bill.

So when I try to turn on my Sportage, the dashboard warning lights all turn on, but then the engine, battery, oil, EPS, and Immobilizer Indicator lights are the only ones that stay on. (I know it's not a battery problem or an oil problem because the battery was recently replaced and I the oil was recently changed)

Eventually the rest of the dashboard and the display monitor turn on, but the car never turns over. I took a video of me trying to turn the vehicle on so you all could watch and let me know if you think it means the engine is dead because of the recall. You can watch it here:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,937 Posts
How long ago is recently replaced for battery and oil change? Many times I read of "new battery", and then problems ...stemming from connectors to the battery terminals being loose. Did you check them already or are you searching for the "magic bullet" answer first?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long ago is recently replaced for battery and oil change? Many times I read of "new battery", and then problems ...stemming from connectors to the battery terminals being loose. Did you check them already or are you searching for the "magic bullet" answer first?
The battery was replaced at AutoZone in September and the oil was replaced in September as well. I've only had the vehicle since 2017 and was earnest enough to stay on top of things.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,927 Posts
Try jump start from a known good battery, and if it doesn't crank, put a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and try turning the engine over by hand.

Could be that the engine has failed, but not sure if its covered under the Kia recall.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,937 Posts
Thanks for "chiming in". was just coming back to post the same as I had "second thoughts" as to what the OP was trying to convey. Electrical dead or seized motor dead. But generally the motor going out ..I still say unless playing audio at high volume, one would have heard knocking odd noises from the motor just before it died and posted of that.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
735 Posts
Did you depress the Brake Pedal when you were trying to start it?

Do you have it in Park?

Richard

·
Registered
2013 Crdi Sportage Platinum
2 Posts
I'd be asking the RAC to help with this one. You need to methodically go through all the possible causes, some of which could be the key fob or fuel issue or battery earth connections to name a few....😀

1 - 7 of 7 Posts