Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious of thoughts on this, 2013 base model is what I'm referring to. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2013 Soul Base, AT, Titanium and 2013 Sorento, 4 cyl, Blue
104 Posts
Don't know why it would not be a good choice. They drive well with auto or manual transmissions. I prefer the auto trans model because of the 100+ mile daily commute and my knees and ankles aren't what they used to be...getting old ain't for pansies.:lol:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If you are not experienced with manual transmission (that seems to your question), get an experienced driver to show you how it's done, so you don't get into bad habits.

1. Learn clutch control/blending, and don't "ride" the clutch.
2. Know preferred RPM range for various requirements (cruise, hills, acceleration).
3. At least know about rev-matching when you change down. It's a bit tricky at first.
4. Get used to the gear lever "gate". e.g. don't grab 2nd by mistake if you're going from 5th to 4th.
5. Practice parking and manoeuvering at low speeds.

It's a good idea to get experience with other manual cars so you become fully experienced as a "stick" driver.

I've heard that some KIA manual transmission models have a rather strange accelerator mapping, so that the engine doesn't respond exactly as you might expect. Apart from that, it should be OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I had considered manual because it would save just a bit money, and the idea of learning manual began to interest me.
I ended up with automatic in the end- yesterday, though I do have a lingering interest in learning manual now! Thank you again for the info on manual for this vehicle.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Good luck with your purchase. The KIA 6-Speed autos are very good. Keep an eye on the tachometer, and you'll get a good idea of the engine speeds that you would need to mimic if you were driving a manual.

It takes a while to become competent with a manual transmission, and while you are getting used to it, you can easily do some damage to the gearbox. In my day, most people learned to drive on a relative's beaten up old car, or perhaps a farm vehicle such as a tractor. Part of the problem is there are fewer manual cars around these days, and many drivers don't really know what they're doing. Certainly not enough to teach someone all the tricks.

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
I used to teach people how to heel-toe. I test drove a Kia Forte a few weeks ago, and I find that the Kia's clutch is way too soft and light for my liking. I'm used to heavier clutches. That being said, if you are learning how to drive a manual, the lighter clutch may make it easier to handle. For me, I'm just used to heavier clutches.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I used to teach people how to heel-toe. I test drove a Kia Forte a few weeks ago, and I find that the Kia's clutch is way too soft and light for my liking. I'm used to heavier clutches. That being said, if you are learning how to drive a manual, the lighter clutch may make it easier to handle. For me, I'm just used to heavier clutches.
I know what you mean. Most older cars had a clutch pedal with a long travel which required straightening/flexing the knee joint. When I moved to a Mazda 2 which had a light clutch with short travel, I needed to use my ankle only; took a while to adapt.

Not many cars have their pedals designed for heel and toe pedal dancing; the original mini was pretty good, although you used left and right sides of the foot rather than anything else. Surprisingly, my Alfa Romeo was impossible to heel and toe.

For newbies, "heel and toe" means blipping the accelerator pedal to rev-match while you are also braking. e.g. For changing down a gear as you are approaching a corner. Cars like the Nissan 370Z will do it automatically these days.

·
Registered
kia soul ls 2012
18 Posts
in australia the kia soul auto has a manual shift option . its a clutchless change up and down the 6 gears and makes the 1.6 petrol engine a lot quicker away from the lights before you slip the lever accross into auto mode for cruising.
vw in the early 70s had a clutchless gear box in the beatles as a option ..and for a driver of a normal manual veichle [ .being used to lifting off the gas with 1 foot and depressing the clutch with the other when changing gears..] the clutch foot used to be still going thru the motions as you manually moved the gear stick from 1 gear to another

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
KIA autos hang on to lower gears quite well, so I can't see that manual shifting would improve acceleration. I've only used it on rare occasions.

I remember the 3-speed clutchless VWs of the 70s. Strange beast, as the VW 4-speed manual transmission was one of the best of the era; why spoil it with a torque converter?

You had to be carefull not to hit the rather wide brake pedal on the auto as you went for the phantom clutch!

·
Registered
2014 Soul Base, Standard
15 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Soul, standard. Compared to what i was driving before the clutch is real light. It's taken a bit of time to get used to it; but it's not that bad.

I agree with everyone else. If you have not driven a standard before, find someone that can teach you, in an old beater car that they don't mind hearing the grind of the gears.

I learned on a 1970 VW Bug, had to put some muscle in cars at that point to shift. But it was fun to learn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts