Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking for a nice SUV for myself, and I am carrying out a sort of little survey. I have found Kia’s Sorento as the number one choice uptill now. The exteriors appealed me to have touch of it. The price tag was so incredible. Seems one good addition in the market to the list of SUVs. Solid, compact and everything I would want. Just need your suggestions….shall I go for it or not?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try taking a test drive…..KIA’s sorrento’s getting very popular,,,,,,,,, they’ve come up with brand new Korean ideas…. :p…what I can suggest u is goin for a test drive.. B) besta luck dude!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!! Umm KIA’s a Korean car and they’ve really showed marked improvement in their work. I have driven their Montero Sport once and its quite good, so hopefully Sorento wudn’t be a bad choice either. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had mine for about 19 months now and other than a persistent brake issue, I really like it. It handles decently on the road, did really well in winter and has lots of goodies for about 2/3s the price of a Lexus (which it looks a lot like) I would recommend it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorento gives and leaves gr8 impressions on everyone who takes a ride in it. Its very luxurious that gives you the best outa everything. Its very solid and I luv its quiet engine . Sorento will definitely curve a niche for itself in the car market :p besta luck!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
:angry: I purchased a brand new k2004 kis sorrento lx, at 3000 miles they put in a new transmission and it still grinds bad. Between 65 mph and 68 mph the drive line vibrates horrible. Kia has been in shop at leat 7 times and still not fixed infact they say they have exhausted there efforts, but Kia will not take vehicle back and make it right. Is anyone else having the five speed transmission problems and the driveline problems?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by akati@Dec 5 2004, 10:03 PM
:angry: I purchased a brand new k2004 kis sorrento lx, at 3000 miles they put in a new transmission and it still grinds bad. Between 65 mph and 68 mph the drive line vibrates horrible. Kia has been in shop at leat 7 times and still not fixed infact they say they have exhausted there efforts, but Kia will not take vehicle back and make it right. Is anyone else having the five speed transmission problems and the driveline problems?
hi!
i've got mine since 2 years in all seasons and i still love it (sorento ex 2003)maybe you where not luky,a friend of mine had a bmw for a year and he had so many problems with it that they took it back.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am going to buy a Sorento in the near future. I have taken it for a test drive (2.5 CRDi) and i love it. I have never researched a car so much before buying, a lot of my research came from this forum. I check it out every day to see if there are any major problems from anyone. Besides poor fuel consumption and gearbox problems (Kia has recalled these models and corrected the problem) there doesn't seem to be too much wrong with the vehicle. It is the best value for money in its class and price range. :eek:fftopic: Just as an aside - I took a Citroen C5 3.0 litre V6 (the safest car in the world) for a test drive last week. It sells for the same money here in South Africa as the Sorento and has loads more features eg. 7 air bags, automatic stability control, automatic brake distribution and a few more. The salesman who went with me for the test drive told me to try and roll the car. I tried really hard but it stuck to the road like sh*t to a wool blanket. It was really impressive. But, its actually an old man's car and the space in the back is rather small (unlike the Sorento which is huge). If you want to have fun, buy the Sorento!!! :haha: I'm not running down the Citroen, if I was 55 years old and my kids were grown up, I'd probably go for the Citroen. ;)

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I have had my 04 Sorento LX for 9 months. It is an awesome vehicle. No major issues with it. So yes it is worth buying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by carould@Aug 11 2004, 08:21 AM
I’ve been looking for a nice SUV for myself, and I am carrying out a sort of little survey. I have found Kia’s Sorento as the number one choice uptill now. The exteriors appealed me to have touch of it. The price tag was so incredible. Seems one good addition in the market to the list of SUVs. Solid, compact and everything I would want. Just need your suggestions….shall I go for it or not?
I investigated also quite a lot my next car and resulted to Sorento. No experience yet, just getting my own after couple of weeks. Kia is a new brand here, so of course I was a "little" suspicious and made heavy research before my decision. I hope I won´t get a disappointment...
Here is one comparison (Jeep-Suzuki-Kia) from last spring if you want to have a look. Not so bad comments on Sorrento :)

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0404_suvs/index.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also thinking about buying a Sorrento. Can anyone recommend a good UK dealership, I live in east central Scotland.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I was buying mine I read just about every page on the internet regarding the Sorento and it is incredible to think that the only critisisms are the firm suspension, the tacky walnut veneer which is now history and the name on the badge. I defy any other car to come up with a fine record like that. Get the Sorento you will not be dissapointed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Totally agree. I got a 2004 EX-L and enjoy it a lot. The price is really amazing for what you get with this model compared to other luxury SUVs. You'll save $10K-$15K to get the same features. I've done quite a bit of research before purchasing this. The only thing they should improve in is the gas mileage...but everyone is aware of this.

I saw a posting of installing K&N filter..maybe this would help :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2003 EX. I love it! Over all the car is great! Mine is at about 67,500K miles now. Gas mileage sucks, but that is the price you pay for any SUV. The things that have gone wrong so far have all been covered by warranty and were nothing serious--cruise control module blew, radio speaker was shot when bought it, A/C control module needed to be replaced and the pulley arm for the drive belt failed. Apparently its been failing on a lot of Sorento's and a new recall is about to be issued (according to my dealer). I did have issues with the timing belt but that was due to a shoddy dealer who didn't know what the H*%& they were doing!! SO...yes, over all it has been a very nice vehicle. Very attractive, leather holds up well and affordable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kia is not a new brand in Guatemala (where I live) it has been around for almost 25 years now, in the beginning it came equipped with Mazda engines, now it is different, i think it has Hyundai engines (due to the merger a few years ago).

I am now considering in getting the Sorento EX, and i was a little dubbious about its engine, because it is Turbo Diesel, and so far, i have only drove Gasoline sedans, mostly about maintenance and care costs; of course i gave all my previous cars the proper maintenance, and this Sorento will not be the exception.

Can anybody tell me about your experience with your Turbo Diesel Sorento.

I still think it is a great car, the most bang for the buck !!! A lot of extras and an affordable price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by ieduarte@Feb 28 2005, 08:35 PM
Kia is not a new brand in Guatemala (where I live) it has been around for almost 25 years now, in the beginning it came equipped with Mazda engines, now it is different, i think it has Hyundai engines (due to the merger a few years ago).

I am now considering in getting the Sorento EX, and i was a little dubbious about its engine, because it is Turbo Diesel, and so far, i have only drove Gasoline sedans, mostly about maintenance and care costs; of course i gave all my previous cars the proper maintenance, and this Sorento will not be the exception.

Can anybody tell me about your experience with your Turbo Diesel Sorento.

I still think it is a great car, the most bang for the buck !!! A lot of extras and an affordable price.
In Europe around 80% Sorentos are diesel and the engine is very good. You can find the Spanish Sorento forum HERE

G

·
0 Posts
Got my Sorento from Fairfield Garage, Dundee. Very nice people to deal with and good service. :D

·
Registered
2012 Sorento KX-3
15 Posts
I have had a 05 Sorento XS for about a month now, we are very pleased with it compaired to our old Mavrick.

Usual problem with the clock not resolved yet due to replacements being on back order.

Other comments are that the new satin chrome trim looks ok but refelects on the windscreen and impairs the vision through the screen. This is a safety issue which Kia needs to address. Take care if you need to be towed from the rear, you can not use the eyes under the back bumper as they are too high up and are just intended for tying down.

I have fitted a dog guard which is very good and easy to fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just bought one. I fell in love with it when I test drived it. Bought one of the lot EX 4x4. The warranty had me also. Honda and Toyota couldn't come close in warranty.

Here's the pic:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts