Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected]
i have just bought a used 1996 kia sephia with 90k miles .all people around me told me that i have made a big mistake by buying this car. :crying:
i don t know anything about cars.
i bought it because i needed a car to find a job.now i am more than desperate.
i need your opinion.
and also what are some usual problems i can expect from this car? :crying:
thank you

·
Registered
138 Posts
'96 Kia or '96 BMW it all depends on how well it has been maintained. Do you have the receipts of what has been done on the car? I have just bought a "97 myself. It has the 1.8 engine, it seems it is an engine by Mazda (Miata) the car has a Protege chasis. Basic transportation, but that's what I need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for taking your time to reply.
do you have some pieces of advise for me?like: what should i or shouldn t i do with this car?
is this car good during the winter time? if not how can i improve its performance during the winter.
ps:i just need this car for job reason. not to travel or ...
thanks again

·
Registered
138 Posts
As far as winter, it is FWD you should be fine. If you get lots of snow you might want to buy snow tires. Anything you do will help you with "going" in snow, you have to plan ahead for stopping-be careful. As far as the rest of the car,as I said see what maintanance has been done. You will need an engine oil change, maybe tranny oil change if automatic, check tire air pressure, see if timing belt was done, coolant flush and have the brakes checked. Everything should be on the owner's manual, and if you don't have documentation of previus service done by owner, just assume it wasn't done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi.
i don t have any documentation about this car.so i am gonna do what you told me to do.
thanks a lot.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
There is a member on this site 1fastkia (he hasnt been around latley but he will return). He as a 99 Sephia and he has 120,000 miles on it. He says its a great car. Has had no major issues with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:460: thanks.i am really glad to know that.i am kind of releaved.i ll try to contact him

·
Registered
27 Posts
they can be crappy cars if you dont take care of them right. i know this from experience. i also know they can be great & even better than most if you take good care of them. it might be a good idea if your searching for a job, to make a piont of setting a few bucks out of each paycheck aside for your cars maitenence & any repairs. i bought a used 97 & after i got it it had problem after problem & i started to hate it. but then after i took the initiative to find out more about my car & how to fix it i found that it wasnt the car, it was mostly my own negligence & ignorance that caused the problems. when its done undergoing the opperation its currenty under (;)) it will run better than it did when i first got it!
the most common problems our cars have is the cooling system (radiator, water pump), the fan belt, & (biggest one) transmission. as long as you check these things regularly & keep up with them, they should not be a problem. btw 1fastkia is acually a Kia technician, so hes good for lots of advice. ive acually called him up & talked to him on the phone about my car :lol: shh dont tell anyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for you precious advise.is there a place where i could get all
those things you have listed fixed or checked or replaced (i am in
massachusets-salem)
i also heard that i will get a lot of problems during the winter
time.how can i start getting ready for this ?what should i buy? what should i
check?
ps: mine is a manual. it s not an automatic (so,is the transmission
still a problem?)