Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hopefully I will buy a Sorento soon and will be one of you in this community.

I am shopping for a manual transmission version which is only available in 2012 models here in Canada. I went to my local dealer, they did not have the Manual version so test drove a 2013 LX automatic, I like the car very much but don't feel like spending the extra $3000 for the 2013 model with Automatic version. I don't mind buying the 2012 model with the Manual transmission. There is only a handful units available in my area with limited color choice so I must decide fast.

I read here in this forum that the manual transmission only has the 2.4L base engine without the Gas Direct Injection (GDI) 2.4L that come with the Automatic Transmission.

Is-it a big deal not having it?

thanks

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
Personally I wouldnt even consider (and didnt) a 4 cylinder Sorento. They are under powered and use very close to, if not the same amount of gas as the V6.
Im very happy with the highway mileage of my V6. Its doing about the same as my old 4 cylinder turbo but has WAY more power and is much bigger inside and out.
I do wish you could get the V6 in manual though, I've had manual transmissions in all my previous cars and prefer it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too I would prefer the V6 if money was not an issue.

However the V6 comes with Automatic transmission and the whole thing escalate an extra $5000 vs the manual transmission 2.4L base engine

I have no issue with the 2.4L automatic when I test drove the car. I drive gently and I will not be towing anything so I felt that the 2.4L GDI in the car that I test drove is adequate for me.

However I will probably not have a chance to test drive the 2.4L no-GDI 6 speed manual before ordering the car as the stock is low and the dealer will probably need to find one from outside so I am wondering if the base engine is adequate or not without the GDI

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
Aside from the slight bump in gas mileage in the GDI it's also worth noting the extra horsepower those engines have over their regular 2.4L counterparts.

The cost difference between V6 and GDI, weight, and compiled cost of gas difference was the reason I chose the GDI, the difference in actual power between the GDI and V6 isn't as severe as one might think.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Of course, everyone has their own financial priorities and limits, but I don't think most people would be happy trying to power a 4000lb SUV with either of the 4-cyl options. It's rather painful. Test drive one and you'll see. And the mileage isn't significantly better. Have you thought about the smaller Sportage instead? That would save you some bucks and you'd be pulling a lighter load.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Here is the quote I got from the dealer here in Canada:

Sorento 2012 LX 2.4L manual transmission: $28,100
Sorento 2013 LX 2.4L GDI automatic: $32,010
Sorento 2013 LX V6 $34,950

Sportage 2013 LX manual: $26,500
Sportage 2013 LX auto: $29,500

I much prefer the Sorento in terms of look and interior space. Like I said before, I test drove the 2.4L automatic and I felt that the power was adequate for daily driving for my use.

According to specs, the GDI engine consumes slightly less gas than the base engine. It also provides more power (174 vs 191 HP). Now the question for me is should I spend the extra $4k to get the GDI version which comes only with automatic transmission. Spending the extra $6,850 for the V6 upgrade package is beyond my budget.

Surprisingly the manual transmission consumes more gas than the automatic, go figure. It used to be the opposite.

So what should I do?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Hi all,

According to specs, the GDI engine consumes slightly less gas than the base engine. It also provides more power (174 vs 191 HP). Now the question for me is should I spend the extra $4k to get the GDI version which comes only with automatic transmission.

Surprisingly the manual transmission consumes more gas than the automatic, go figure. It used to be the opposite.

So what should I do?
I would go for the slightly more powerful engine with the auto transmission. I haven't checked the specs. but you will probably find the auto has higher gearing which leads to better fuel economy.

I think you would find it a bit of a chore rowing the under-powered Sorento along with a manual gearbox. Let the auto do the work for you.

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
Of course, everyone has their own financial priorities and limits, but I don't think most people would be happy trying to power a 4000lb SUV with either of the 4-cyl options. It's rather painful. Test drive one and you'll see. And the mileage isn't significantly better. Have you thought about the smaller Sportage instead? That would save you some bucks and you'd be pulling a lighter load.
Test drove 2.4L, 2.4L GDI, and V6 and I still say that I'd take the GDI over the V6 when the gas cost and initial costs are incorporated. The GDI has enough power that you aren't desiring more, unless you are driving extremely aggressively and at that point buy a sedan or crossover.

Did you test drive the 2.4L or the 2.4L GDI before assuming that you "don't think most people would be happy trying to power a 4000lb SUV with either of the 4-cyl options. It's rather painful." I'm happy, and most other people that own their GDI, on this website, are happy.

I get that you like your purchase and for you it was the right decision, but to tell someone else they won't be happy isn't exactly fair to that persons decision.

BTW my AWD LX GDI gets 26mpg average...the V6's don't (see this post just a little while ago http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/80126-2013-sorento-sx-getting-17-mpg.html) he's reporting 17mpg on his V6.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 6MT
47 Posts
Salut manteiv,

I'm driving a 2011 Sorento with manual tranny for just over 1.5 years.

I'm quite happy with the car and averaging 11.1 l/100km over 35 000 km.

We typically drive 75% in the city and our best average is 8.6 l/100km going to Québec city with the cruise at 111 km/h (GPS speedo).

We bought this model for the low price and the possibility to put 3 baby seats in the back seat. Those were our 2 main criteria.

Of course, you can always use another 100 hp but in most cases it's just fine.

I'm coming from a 2005 Subaru wagon with a 4 speed auto and a 2.5 liters 4 cylinder engine so I'm happy :)

Now, GDI or not GDI, with what you wrote before I would say pass and go with the manual tranny.

They will not be making the manual tranny in 2013 so we will be driving limited models for sure !

·
Registered
2013 LX GDI AWD
40 Posts
In response to the posters question, I would get the GDI, I love mine. The additional fuel economy coupled with the additional power over the 2.4L made sense to me...and I even got the AWD.

Manual is great, my last 2 cars were a stick...but after sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for a long time and now that I live in a hilly area (btw the Hill assist is cool) I chose automatic. I do miss my stick though.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Test drove 2.4L, 2.4L GDI, and V6 and I still say that I'd take the GDI over the V6 when the gas cost and initial costs are incorporated. The GDI has enough power that you aren't desiring more, unless you are driving extremely aggressively and at that point buy a sedan or crossover.

Did you test drive the 2.4L or the 2.4L GDI before assuming that you "don't think most people would be happy trying to power a 4000lb SUV with either of the 4-cyl options. It's rather painful." I'm happy, and most other people that own their GDI, on this website, are happy.

I get that you like your purchase and for you it was the right decision, but to tell someone else they won't be happy isn't exactly fair to that persons decision.

BTW my AWD LX GDI gets 26mpg average...the V6's don't (see this post just a little while ago http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/80126-2013-sorento-sx-getting-17-mpg.html) he's reporting 17mpg on his V6.
*shrug*

Different strokes for different folks. And for the record, I'm getting about 20mpg in "city" driving and a bit over 28mpg on the highway with my AWD V6. My last tank of mixed driving was about 23-24mpg. So for my driving style (not a granny and not a hot rodder), I don't see any real advantage to the I4 for gas mileage. 2mpg is within the statistical noise realm and I haven't even broken mine in yet. You do save a bit on the purchase price, though.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
I believe the best Sorento is the one equipped with the 2.2L CRDI engine...unfortunately it is not available for the North American customers! So if you are going for the I4 engine go for the GDI auto rather than the non GDI manual. The extra 20 BHP does make a difference!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
I believe the best Sorento is the one equipped with the 2.2L CRDI engine...unfortunately it is not available for the North American customers! So if you are going for the I4 engine go for the GDI auto rather than the non GDI manual. The extra 20 BHP does make a difference!
Can't argue with that. VW TDI vehicles are flying off the lots these days in the US and hold a significant portion of their purchase price when sold used. If Kia offered the Sorento or Sportage with a 2-3L diesel, they'd have an instant hit on their hands. Great gas mileage and a significant boost in low-end torque...just what the doctor ordered for a typical UTE driver. One of my friends has a new TDI Passat w/6sp manual. He routinely gets 50+mpg on the highway and that car only weighs a few hundred pounds less than a Sorento.

Best,

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
If you don't...

If you don't mind shifting gears and want to save money, the reg 4 cyl is a no brainer. I have the GDI EX and it is fine as a around town commuter. I have the Borrego for off road and towing. If this is to be your primary truck, you might want to move up to the GDI. But if you are going to do that, you might as well get the V6 as it is only 2k more. Which means your payment might be about 6=7% more. Might be worth it. I would test drive the V6 just to make sure.. I kind of wish I had gotten the V6...I don't need it...but it would have been nice. LOL

Hi all,

Sorento 2013 LX V6 $34,950

Sportage 2013 LX manual: $26,500
Sportage 2013 LX auto: $29,500

I much prefer the Sorento in terms of look and interior space. Like I said before, I test drove the 2.4L automatic and I felt that the power was adequate for daily driving for my use.

According to specs, the GDI engine consumes slightly less gas than the base engine. It also provides more power (174 vs 191 HP). Now the question for me is should I spend the extra $4k to get the GDI version which comes only with automatic transmission. Spending the extra $6,850 for the V6 upgrade package is beyond my budget.

So what should I do?

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Test drove all 3.

Base 2.4 model: Was not impressed at all, felt sluggish and slow.

LX 2.4 GDi: Comming from a 2010 forte 2.0 this felt just as peppy, not race car speeds but was enough for me for driving, and light towing. (ended up buying this)

EX V6: Awsome. I would have loved to fork out the extra money for the V6 but for the distance this car gets driven daily to and from work the slightly better milage I went for the GDi. The V6 has amazing power and was a blast to drive. I was very skeptical of the larger car and 4cly, but then I remember 20+ years ago cars were just as heavy and had v8's pushing out less HP then the 2.4 and half the milage. Times have changed.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
Back in 2011 I test drove both the 4 and 6 with automatics, and found the 4 adequate. I ended up getting the V6 because I do have the need to tow occasionally and figured the V6 was up to the task.

If you're just driving around town and not wanting to tow anything, you will probably be fine with the non-GDI 4.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
With all due respect, most of the posters on this thread are not able to answer your question as most have not driven the manual 6-spd Sorento.

We purchased a 2011 manual tranny Sorento with the regular 2.4 engine new last year. There was no GDI option until 2012, and in 2012 the manual trans option was removed.

The 2.4 with auto trans was ok, but I was not impressed and found it hunted for gears a lot, always downshifting. But we really wanted a manual trans Sorento anyway, so awaited one to be shipped in. They had about $5000 incentive off the already reasonably priced manual Sorento, and my wife only wanted the manual - she hates auto tranny's!!

The first time we drove the manual trans 6-spd with regular 2.4, we LOVED it. It had so much more power than the same engine with the auto, lots of low-end torque, no need for high rpms at all, and no need to downshift excessively either. We were both so impressed with the torque delivery, and how much better it was compared to the auto.

1.5 years later and we couldn't be happier, that is one awesome powertrain, and it absolutely has more than enough power to move the Sorento around with ease at low rpms, and incredibly efficiently. Around town the fuel efficiency calculator reads about 8.8 average in town, and as low as 7.9 highway, far better than the rated efficiency! Even if the onboard computer is a little optimistic, these are still amazing numbers, and the powertrain is also quiet and refined - a big winner all-around.

Anyone who says that the 2.4 is too small of a powertrain for the Sorento has obviously not driven the manual trans version, it is stellar and I am so disappointed to see that they discontinuued this as an option. I feel Kia did very little to promote this powertrain, so people really didn't know how stellar it was. Instead Kia promotes the top trim loaded AWD versions that overpriced, rather than the economical LX with manual.

·
Registered
293 Posts
With all due respect, most of the posters on this thread are not able to answer your question as most have not driven the manual 6-spd Sorento.

We purchased a 2011 manual tranny Sorento with the regular 2.4 engine new last year. There was no GDI option until 2012, and in 2012 the manual trans option was removed.

The 2.4 with auto trans was ok, but I was not impressed and found it hunted for gears a lot, always downshifting. But we really wanted a manual trans Sorento anyway, so awaited one to be shipped in. They had about $5000 incentive off the already reasonably priced manual Sorento, and my wife only wanted the manual - she hates auto tranny's!!

The first time we drove the manual trans 6-spd with regular 2.4, we LOVED it. It had so much more power than the same engine with the auto, lots of low-end torque, no need for high rpms at all, and no need to downshift excessively either. We were both so impressed with the torque delivery, and how much better it was compared to the auto.

1.5 years later and we couldn't be happier, that is one awesome powertrain, and it absolutely has more than enough power to move the Sorento around with ease at low rpms, and incredibly efficiently. Around town the fuel efficiency calculator reads about 8.8 average in town, and as low as 7.9 highway, far better than the rated efficiency! Even if the onboard computer is a little optimistic, these are still amazing numbers, and the powertrain is also quiet and refined - a big winner all-around.

Anyone who says that the 2.4 is too small of a powertrain for the Sorento has obviously not driven the manual trans version, it is stellar and I am so disappointed to see that they discontinuued this as an option. I feel Kia did very little to promote this powertrain, so people really didn't know how stellar it was. Instead Kia promotes the top trim loaded AWD versions that overpriced, rather than the economical LX with manual.
This reminds me of the 1988 Dodge Raider 4x4 (mits montero clone), that had a 109 hp 4 cyl and weighted 5000 lbs.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 2.4 w/Manual 6spd
273 Posts
The power-to-weight ratio, considering the power to pavement with the manual trans is very good. We compared to a similarly-sized 2000 era Nissan Pathfinder, which was several hundred pounds heavier than the Sorento, came equipped with the 3.0 L engine that had almost identical power and torque numbers as Kia's 2.4 4-cylinder. The Pathfinder was sold as a very pricey, up-scale SUV and people were generally satisfied with the power, so this encouraged us that the Kia 2.4 might fit the bill. And as I stated above, our 2.4 with manual trans is perfectly sized for this size vehicle, the manual has less mechanical losses than than the auto and puts a lot of power to the pavement allowing high gearing/upshifting and low-rpm driving. We routinely use 5th gear around town.

You V6 auto Sorento owners don't know what you're missing!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
the diff

The difference with the V6 is, you just have to touch the gas pedal with your foot. As opposed to the 4cyl, you have to actually depress the gas pedal. To each his own.

The power-to-weight ratio, considering the power to pavement with the manual trans is very good. We compared to a similarly-sized 2000 era Nissan Pathfinder, which was several hundred pounds heavier than the Sorento, came equipped with the 3.0 L engine that had almost identical power and torque numbers as Kia's 2.4 4-cylinder. The Pathfinder was sold as a very pricey, up-scale SUV and people were generally satisfied with the power, so this encouraged us that the Kia 2.4 might fit the bill. And as I stated above, our 2.4 with manual trans is perfectly sized for this size vehicle, the manual has less mechanical losses than than the auto and puts a lot of power to the pavement allowing high gearing/upshifting and low-rpm driving. We routinely use 5th gear around town.

You V6 auto Sorento owners don't know what you're missing!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts