Kia Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Owning both a Sorento and also an aging '11 Sonata, I've done a fair bit of research on the new 8 speed transmission. It's been used in the Sonatas, paired only with the 2.0T, for a couple years now, as well as some Santa Fes. You just really don't read about problems with them. The enthusiasts who buy the Sonata 2.0T that used the 8 speed are the type to frequent forums and complain if something isn't right. There was a TSB about the torque converter leaking, and another about a solenoid issue, but nothing big. Hyundai/Kia developed this unit in house, and seem to have done a better job than ZF, GM, Honda, etc. Also, they used our 6 speed as a basis for the 8 speed, and those have mostly held up well. The biggest issue with those seems to be temperature sensors contributing to rough shifts in cold weather, particularly after a cold soak, and more likely in ECO mode. I can attest to that. But I have 150,000 on my 6sp and it's fine (provided i leave it off ECO).

And finally, to put things in perspective, the equally low selling 7sp dual clutch transmission sold on the SOnata and Optima 1.6T ECO have received a number of complaints. I bet those 7sp DCTs sold about the same quantities so far as cars with the 8sp FWD auto, across the entire Korean lineup.

I'm interested to hear about any issues though, since I may purchase a new Sonata.
Our Sorento has experienced a noticeable shudder during acceleration between 20-30 mph.
Have not visited selling dealer since purchase,waiting for first oil change service and will mention to service reps. I submitted a registered complaint to Kia regarding this common issue.Situation is awaiting dealer confirmation..abnormal problem for sure.

·
Registered
'17 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD
14 Posts
"the Honda 9 speed (uses clunky 'dog' design to save a couple clutches - they put this in their high end Pilot models, my neighbor traded his back to the dealer almost immediately at a big loss. Hit the gas to pass, then wait 5 or 10 seconds for the downshift...almost 10 software "fixes" in the past 3 years to no avail."

Yeah lost my shirt on a 2018 Honda CRV with No heat, gasoline in oil, and Ski-doo transmission that didnt downshift. Lost a ton of $$$$ dumping it. Kia gave me the best bang for the buck and highest trade in on Honda.
My Kia V6 with 8 speed goes like hell and is really nice to drive. Surprisingly, The V6 gets gas mileage on par with that singer 1.5 lag turbo Honda, but twice the power.
I have not noticed any trans issues at all, probably above average compared to many other makes i've owned.
Yeah in short, in this class of vehicle, I'd bet on the Hyundai Kia FWD 8 speed tranny over every CVT, any ZF 9 speed, any GM unit (8 or 9sp), the Toyota Aisin 8 speed, and any Honda-built automatic. Period. That only leaves a few Ford or Mazda vehicles left on the list.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts