Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned before that I've test driven a '19 Sorento S twice now and am very impressed. Loved the V6 engine and the 8A worked as expected. Was planning to get a 2020 next year before they drop the V6 option in '21. But I'm now getting concerned about the 8A problems I'm seeing on this forum and owner reviews on Edmonds. So the question is, does everyone seem to have the problems or just some folks? If you haven't had the problems is it because you've only had the vehicle a few weeks? Are there folks who have more than, say 10,000 miles on the 8A with no problems?

I would expect like most car problems that not everyone has the problem. Has Kia had enough problems reported that a fix is coming, or are they denying that there is a problem? Is there any way to determine by build date those who have the problem? Of course later build dates might have had a software fix applied or maybe they just don't have enough miles yet to have experienced a problem.

A lot of Aisin 8 speed autos have problems in various brands, but I believe I read somewhere that this 8A is homegrown. But it is having problems similar to all the other 8As. Any new info about the problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
126 Posts
≈ 12K and no problems that I can detect. There have been a few transmission threads, here's are a couple:

Can you be bit more specific about the problems reported on Edmonds or provide a link?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6
812 Posts
7000 miles. No issues.
It does hunt a bit in eco or normal modes. Not really a problem, just run it in sport or shift manually.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you be bit more specific about the problems reported on Edmonds or provide a link?

The above link takes you to Consumer Reviews. Click on the 'transmission' button under 'Trending Topics in Reviews' from the link.

I'm glad to see from the replies above that not everyone is having issues.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
292 Posts
It is sad what has happened with transmissions over the years. Baffles me how big smart companies continue to step on their tail with well understood mechanical design techniques.

Most automotive things just get better, cheaper, lighter, stronger...better materials, tolerances, computer design.

I remember well the GM metric transmissions in the 80's that ALL failed, mostly outside the 12K mi warranty. Of course, after a couple years GM reimbursed folks who still had their repair receipts. I did not.
I put in the previous model transmission since the shop had a mountain of the metric ones out back.

The current commonly used ZF transmissions - looks like these will never get a fix.

Tthe Honda 9 speed (uses clunky 'dog' design to save a couple clutches - they put this in their high end Pilot models, my neighbor traded his back to the dealer almost immediately at a big loss. Hit the gas to pass, then wait 5 or 10 seconds for the downshift...almost 10 software "fixes" in the past 3 years to no avail.

My Acura 2001 which went through 7 or 8 before I punted (overheated clutch pack, kludge external oil line fix did not work). Each fix took a week, I bought an extended warranty out of panic, then the Honda extended their coverage at no charge. Some of these failed as the new owner was driving it home after purchasing it.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure all these new 8, 9 and 10 speed autos are to try and scratch out a little bit more gas mileage to meet government regulations.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
333 Posts
I belong to a variety of car forums (Corvette, NSX, Miata, Toyota 4Runner and here) and the one thing that is an absolute among all of them is that you always here from the problems, never from the successes. No one thinks to log on and say "hey, great transmission, never a problem" but as soon as someone has an issue, they will be complaining about it anywhere they can. It's just human nature - ask a Wal-Mart manager the ratio of complaints to compliments in their store and you'll get somewhere around 100 to 1. The same holds true for car forums.

That's not to diminish the problem for those that are having it - I sympathize and truly hope that Kia quickly and efficiently solves the problem and maybe throws in a couple of free oil changes for the inconvenience. But for those considering a purchase, don't let the negatives here completely form your opinion about any aspect of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
928 Posts
Indeed, but if you look at sales figures vs. the number and severity of the complaints, you can certainly get a good idea about the weak spots in a production run or even an entire design.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
126 Posts

The above link takes you to Consumer Reviews. Click on the 'transmission' button under 'Trending Topics in Reviews' from the link.

I'm glad to see from the replies above that not everyone is having issues.
Thanks. I checked out the link and of 41 Sorento reviews it appears that only two are related to specific 8spd tranmission problems. Clearly, and unfortunately, these folks have had a bad experience with their Sorento be it for the tranmission or some other issue and I feel bad for them. And clearly those of us who have not yet had this problem (or may never have ) should feel some what cautiously optimistic that we may have gotten a good one! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I checked out the link and of 41 Sorento reviews it appears that only two are related to specific 8spd tranmission problems.
You sir, are correct. I could have sworn that when I looked at the transmission issues on that Edmonds sight that there were multiple pages of problems. Must have been having a senior moment :eek: So actually not that many transmission issues. Hopefully that continues. It is bothering me a little that this trans just came out in the '19 model year. I would like to see a little more history with it.

I'm still planning to wait until next year, but my feeling is that the 2021s will debut early, so I'll need to keep an eye out. I really want the 3.3 and fear that it's going away in '21.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento EX V6 AWD
126 Posts
I'm still planning to wait until next year, but my feeling is that the 2021s will debut early, so I'll need to keep an eye out. I really want the 3.3 and fear that it's going away in '21.
Since mine is relatively new I don't keep up so much any more, so what makes you think they might drop the v6? Even if they did announce dropping it you might be able to find a good close out deal, or possibably a CPO, on a v6 model. Might have to move quick though!

·
Registered
'16 Equinox and '17 GTI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since mine is relatively new I don't keep up so much any more, so what makes you think they might drop the v6?
I remember reading or seeing in more than one place that it is suspected that the V6 will be dropped. Don't ask me where I saw it, I read and see too much to remember. And it's certainly not carved in stone, but the feeling seemed to be that the next generation would not have the V6. And that wouldn't surprise me. The Santa Fe dropped the V6 and some of the smaller SUVs have also dropped them in favor of 4 cylinder turbos. Now I'm not afraid of turbos. I've currently got one and had one before that. But I just really like that 3.3 in the Sorento. And it doesn't need premium fuel that most turbos want which is $.60 a gallon more where I live.

So for now, I'm working off of speculation concerning the V6, but I tend to agree with it.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL
20 Posts
I really don't have a problem with the transmission. I don't always like the way it chooses to shift but that is how it works. I noticed some times it will short shift when accelerating slowly. I liked having it and it is not really different than other vehicles I have had.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
479 Posts
I just really like that 3.3 in the Sorento. And it doesn't need premium fuel that most turbos want which is $.60 a gallon more where I live.

So for now, I'm working off of speculation concerning the V6, but I tend to agree with it.
I love the V6, and I bought it thinking it might be the last naturally-aspirated daily-driver I will ever own. I can't comment on when exactly Kia will drop the V6 Sorento, but all car companies are moving in this direction due to the newer environmental restrictions we have now.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
292 Posts
I bought a V8 4runner back in 2005, convinced that the gov was about to ban them. Boy was I wrong !
Surprised at all the V8's still available as well as the 200 hp / liter crazy powerful turbos.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX
49 Posts
I think most people were having “shudders” on cold starts in ECO mode. I have a little hill outside the house and on first stars it will shudder a little but it’s gone by 25-30mph. ECO mode likes to keep it in second or third gear, and the computer hesitates it seems before downshifting.

there is a TSB about this as well. Last oil/rotation my dealer updated the module and it is much better now.

·
Registered
'17 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD
5 Posts
Owning both a Sorento and also an aging '11 Sonata, I've done a fair bit of research on the new 8 speed transmission. It's been used in the Sonatas, paired only with the 2.0T, for a couple years now, as well as some Santa Fes. You just really don't read about problems with them. The enthusiasts who buy the Sonata 2.0T that used the 8 speed are the type to frequent forums and complain if something isn't right. There was a TSB about the torque converter leaking, and another about a solenoid issue, but nothing big. Hyundai/Kia developed this unit in house, and seem to have done a better job than ZF, GM, Honda, etc. Also, they used our 6 speed as a basis for the 8 speed, and those have mostly held up well. The biggest issue with those seems to be temperature sensors contributing to rough shifts in cold weather, particularly after a cold soak, and more likely in ECO mode. I can attest to that. But I have 150,000 on my 6sp and it's fine (provided i leave it off ECO).

And finally, to put things in perspective, the equally low selling 7sp dual clutch transmission sold on the SOnata and Optima 1.6T ECO have received a number of complaints. I bet those 7sp DCTs sold about the same quantities so far as cars with the 8sp FWD auto, across the entire Korean lineup.

I'm interested to hear about any issues though, since I may purchase a new Sonata.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts