Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin and Tammy@Sep 14 2005, 08:23 AM
I just got a sorento and I need to wire it with a 7 way. I am just looking to see if any of you have installed the same thing.
yes i did, a little time consuming but if you want something done properly, do it your self

i purchased a hidden hitch brand hitch and the hidden hitch wiring adaptor that plugs into the factory harness at the rear of the sorento

note, this treminates to a 4 way connector, so i also purchased the hidden hitch 4 way to 7 way adaptor

there are 3 loose leads on the 7 way, one for trailer brakes (blue wire), one for a charge circut and one ground (very important) attach to frame

the charge circut wiring is 10 gauge fused at the battery at 40 amps

i ran the two wires (charge circut and brake wire (for the controler)) from the hitch along the right side of the frame to the engine compartment then in back of the motor using additional clamps attached to existing studs on the firewall (you have to remove the plastic engine cover) to see and access the studs

all wires were covered with "split loom cover" and tie strapped as necessary

read your sorento manuel as far as amp draw for you trailer light circut because of the amount drawn by the tailights/clearance lights. mine exceeded the max by almost 100% so i installed a relay on the pop/up trailer to control the lights and reduced the tailight draw from the vehicle to less than 1 amp, well below the allowable

total time to install the wiring, including the brake controler was about 4 hours

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for the reply, very informative. I know exactly which connector you used and it is the one I will be installing. Only difference is that I will be using the brake control wire (blue) to control my surge brakes. This requires the blue wire to be connected to the back up lights. I actually only need the 5 way for this setup but I like the way the 7 way works, it is a much cleaner install. Where did you mount your 7 way?

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin and Tammy@Sep 14 2005, 03:48 PM
THanks for the reply, very informative. I know exactly which connector you used and it is the one I will be installing. Only difference is that I will be using the brake control wire (blue) to control my surge brakes. This requires the blue wire to be connected to the back up lights. I actually only need the 5 way for this setup but I like the way the 7 way works, it is a much cleaner install. Where did you mount your 7 way?
our 7 way connector is mounted on the right side of the hitch tube (our hitch is a round tube type very well hidden not the stright long type that goes frame to frame)

i also used the 7 way connector box from hidden hitch, it fits both round and square hitches

i purchased everything from;

http://www.etrailer.com/

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant...ry_Code=BRACKET

1 - 5 of 5 Posts