Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Crosstrek Limited w/ Nav/Sunroof in Orange
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my Sportage SX in for service for just an oil change and an air filter change. I feel like Manfredi Kia was trying to hustle me. They were telling me that they would not do the air filter change without doing a $179 valve cleaning that they are telling me is required and they I will void my warranty by not doing it.

I told them I will do it next service in 3k miles and I don't have that money right now. They got aggressive with it and made me sign on the service form that I am declining required maintenance.

I feel really angry. I NEVER had this with the few new Subaru vehicles I had before this Kia.

Was the valve cleaning really required? I have 18k on it right now. Not happy at all. I wound up having to sign I declined the service.

I will be calling Kia Customer Care on Monday morning when they open again. I am quite upset.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually they said they will void out my new car warranty if I don't do it right now. I never looked forward to a Monday, but right now I can't wait to have a nice chat with Kia Customer Care on Monday about this experience.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,724 Posts
You don't need to do a fuel injection cleaning.(at least so soon) NO where in Kia"s manintaince does it EVER call for it. IF you want to go back to that dealership, you can pull out your owners manual and ask them to SHOW you where Kia calls for it. As far as Kia goes they won't care about it at all. NO dealership can void your warranty bye you not doing a F/I cleaning. I would be taking your Kia to another dealership! And I would TELL them WHY they are NEVER going to see you as a customer again! Tell the GM of the dealer and the owner!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
don't blame you for being upset but its always a good idea to take in your maintenance schedule from your owners manual when you go in for a schedule service so that you know exactly what should be done for that particular service.
Also determine from the schedule whether you fall under the standard schedule or severe schedule.

Sometimes dealers suggest addition things which maybe okay based on past experience but its not compulsory and its your choice whether you get it done or not. It also not compulsory to get normal service done at a Kia dealership, you have the choice to get it done wherever you want, just make sure you keep a record of what has been done in order to prove you have maintained the vehicle correctly.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,850 Posts
That sounds like a BS story and I'd be interested to hear what Kia Customer Care have to say about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is really the first hiccup in my ownership experience.

I will post what Kia Customer Care says. Thanks for the quick replies.

I need to look at the service schedule for my vehicle. I am just following the severe duty schedule from my old turbo 09 Subaru Forester XT. Oil changes between 3k -3.5k.

I don't really dog on it because of fuel costs, but most of my miles are highway and mountain driving. It rewards with tame driving. I can do 24-26 mpg and on straight i95 distance driving, I can even see upwards of 28-29 mpg

City though, 15.7 mpg religiously in stop and go. (Traffic lights ever city block or two)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I went though both the vehicle manual and the warranty manual for my 2011 Kia Sportage SX, covering the maintenance chapter and warranty sections in detail.

As I suspected, I am exceeding even the maintenance schedule for severe duty, by doing oil changes between 3K-3.5K miles, and the air filter was not due for changing yet, but hey - never hurts to have a clean air filter, right. :) The valve body is not supposed to be touched until 60K mile service, which at that time it is supposed to be inspected - not cleaned.

I have logged into my Kia Owners' page, and wrote a complaint. I will follow up with a phone call on Monday morning, expressing that what the dealer did borders on illegal, and that they were threatening to void my warranties for service items NOT recommended to be done by KIA USA.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Other than this awful experience, my Sportage SX has been an amazing vehicle. I am extremely happy with the comfort, features, power, and audio. It's a great highway cruiser, and up in the mountains - it takes steep roads like they are perfectly flat.

I am currently debating my finances, and seeing if I can swing the cost for some proper winter tires for the winter months.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
978 Posts
Isn't an inordinate amount carbon build-up a known problem with direct injection engines?

Regardless, the pressure tactics and the "void your warranty" threat is uncalled for.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX w/ Premium Package & Nav
194 Posts
I feel ya bud. I just had a 2nd less than great experience with my local service center. I called Kia CS and left a message. I assumed they wouldn't call back the next day but they did. It seems they do actually care about their authorized service centers acting like yahoos and mistreating their customers... Hope something will be done in both are cases. At least I hope they get a "nice" call from corp.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX, 2011 Ford Ranger
30 Posts
Yes DI engines make carbon, service manual mentions adding a fuel additive every 12000 km or 6 months. Using Tier II gas eliminates this requirement. Tier II in Canada is Shell, Petro Can(Sunoco) and Esso fuels. I am baffled by the additive requirement, as fuel never touches the intake valves where the build up occurs. Audi, Porsche and MB forums have been buzzing with horrendous carbon build up issues, does KIA's long warranty indicate they have solved this problem? The valve cleaning requirement noted above may indicate a problem...

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I just wonder what they would do to clean the valves. Probably spray something into the throttle body? add something to the fuel? -Anyhow $179 seems a lot.

"Most of my miles are highway and mountain driving."

Are you sure that your usage is severe? Sounds fairly normal to me. I always go for oil changes at 10,000 km or whatever the time interval is specified (12 month for KIA in Australia). 3000 Miles was the usual recommendation for old V8 bangers in the US.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
Is a valve body cleaning required between 15-18k miles?
I was confused by the tittle. "Valve body". I thought you were talking about the transmission. I figured it out to mean "Throttle body". You can do a TB cleaning yourself. You also can use a number of FI cleaners. Just keep a record of when,where and cost.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am doing the maintaince schedule for the severe duty by choice to be on the safe side. I never use any fuel unless it is Sunoco, BP, Shell, or Exxon. I never ever ever put Hess, Gulf, or any no-name fuel in my vehicle. I also tend to switch between 89 and 93 octane, but have recently decided to run just 93 from now on because I think it drives better with it, and also gets me better fuel economy. I don't see the need of an fuel additives, because I am not running 87 octane.

Unless I am wrong, by using higher octane fuel (usually Sunoco and Shell most of the time), that should eliminate the need for fuel additive, right?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel ya bud. I just had a 2nd less than great experience with my local service center. I called Kia CS and left a message. I assumed they wouldn't call back the next day but they did. It seems they do actually care about their authorized service centers acting like yahoos and mistreating their customers... Hope something will be done in both are cases. At least I hope they get a "nice" call from corp.
Hopefully they will resolve both of our cases.

A few posts in this thread have me curious about carbon build-up. I wonder if KOA will shed any light on this. I will certainly post what they tell me.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
I have heard of carbon build-up causing issues on some of the older Kias, but not on the new ones. At that low mileage it shouldn't be an issue, especially if you use good fuel. The intake cleaning is not a required service.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
The dealer's tactics were awful. I wouldn't have signed anything and called the police if they refused to to let me take the vehicle.

That said direct injected engines are susceptible to carbon build up. As other have said, the only way to clean it is to spray something like seafoam into the valve cover or after the throttle. A had a MINI Cooper that fouled the spark plugs after 22K km. Fortunately the carbon issues were so common that it was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
KOA called me. I was shocked by the call. Their opinion is that whatever service a dealer recommends, if it is not followed and something happens, the vehicle owners' warranty will not be honored.
They basically said that if a dealer recommends 3K oil changes, that is what need to be done and not what the service manual states.

They were not very apologetic about the experience, but they are going to process the complaint against the dealership and follow up with them.

This experience really changed my opinion of Kia for the worst. I will likely not lease or buy another Kia after this experience. I am regretting leaving Subaru after this whole mess.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Sadly it's not the first I've heard of this. It's also not the first time a dealer from any company has done something like this, but the corporate response is the worst I've heard.
Same on Kia.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts