Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I always had washable filters on other cars, usually in the form of a CAI. I would shy away from the K&N as the oil can sometimes foul MAF sensors. Try looking for a dry washable filter (I haven't found one yet).

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
1,888 Posts
Here we go again..........

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
LOL. I am starting to think nobody ever uses the search function. Seriously, how many "performance chip" threads do we need?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here we go again..........
I did search...most threads talked about a whole drop-in K&N KIT and about their performance gains or non gains. I strictly am asking about maintenance on a single filter. I never had one of these before and wasn't sure if it's worth the extra initial cost and hassle of cleaning.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL. I am starting to think nobody ever uses the search function. Seriously, how many "performance chip" threads do we need?
I will say "thank you" now for posting a link to a thread that already discusses my question. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I did search...most threads talked about a whole drop-in K&N KIT and about their performance gains or non gains. I strictly am asking about maintenance on a single filter. I never had one of these before and wasn't sure if it's worth the extra initial cost and hassle of cleaning.
Strictly from a warranty point-of-view, my experience was the dealership was adverse to an oiled filter being installed vs. paper filter when I asked about this / when our 1st gen Kia was serviced under the warranty period.

If the vehicle is regularly maintained at the dealer, you may want to check with them before installing, to avoid any issues down the road..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,264 Posts
The stock dry paper filter is cheap and does an adequate job, and I wouldn't risk an oiled filter contaminating my MAF.

BTW, if you have no interest in adding to the discussion in a thread, then exercise a little self control and 'ignore', but don't resort to snide remarks/abuse.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
K&N would fine but like everything else, you have to know what you're doing.

Probably a 4 or 5 year payback............

·
Registered
557 Posts
My full response is in my posting history, since the topic reappears as others have noted, so this shortened version won't be as accurate (ie. no flames or requests for evidence without reading old replies).

If you're wanting to save several dollars, a cotton air filter will do that, although you put more cash into the initial purchase.

Cotton air filters allow much more air flow. If you're planning an ECU modification to take advantage of more airflow, by all means, a cotton air filter could be useful. Without modification, unexpected airflow may confuse an ECU and thus fuel/air ratios.

Cotton air filters trap a small fraction of air contaminants, while paper filters trap virtually all particulate. If you don't mind changing dirtier oil more often, and don't plan on keeping the car in the long term, the additional engine wear might not bother you.

Chances are that a washable air filter isn't remotely "worth it" for you. It even gives dealerships an excuse to void warranties on post-filter engine components. Unless you're planning extensive engine modifications, drag racing, driving through sandstorms (where paper filters clog quickly), or if the noise tone of an engine outweighs purpose for you, avoid.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've had the K&N filters on a few vehicles - grew to hate them. I'd rather put in a new filter every year than dick around with the K&N - with the specialcleaning, the special oil, the oiling of the screen - MEH! - and I ruined one of them because it had some crud stuck in a pleat and I tried gently brushing it out with a small, soft paint brush - (ALARM BUZZER) - pink fuzz came right off the screen. And now, like others have said, you don't want an oily filter upstream of the Mass Air Sensor. I have read of this causing problems on several auto forums. The oil gets on the heated wires and screws up the data, causing the ECU to basically go violently insane.

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's one thing I don't have data for, but have seen many claims on. I know it can confuse the ECU, which will make it run a little lean (explaining reduced dyno performance), but failing MAF is bad.

Cotton filters have their place. They work great on small motors that don't move fast and aren't complex or valuable (go-karts, landscaping equipment...). A bit more power can matter a lot on a small motor. As well, a mudsoaked paper filter is useless.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
For street driven cars, much like 99.9% of the Sportages out there, either go paper or wait until a no-oil variant is out there.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
Stay with paper unless you can understand/follow cleaning and oiling instructions...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paper it is.....thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
1960 Corvair, 1975 Morris Mini, 1962 Renault Dauphine, 2012 Grand Cherokee
19 Posts
I have seen so many problems with K&N type filters I would never use them.

But spend $20 for a restriction gauge and put it in the intake. Then don't open your filter box until it goes red, change the filter and go. You will save your engine and money on filters. Takes 5 minutes to install.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
Well gents, I am opening myself up to be made fun of and if you want to call me a turncoat, go for it.

As much as I railed against K&N filters on this car, I broke down and got one anyway. I needed a new filter, was having a heck of a time tracking one down in stores (kept getting told it was a special order) and remembered that I had K&Ns on quite a few other cars of mine with zero problems. So after finding one for less than $40 shipped, I bit and put it in today.

Obviously I am not looking for any performance gains, maybe a tad more engine noise, but basically I will have this car for a while, so it made sense. Plus I still have 3/4 of a K&N recharge kit from previous cars so I won't have to buy one of those.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would just stick with dry filters since the reusable always has oil on them and tend to get the sensor in either the intake tube and even on the throttle body oily and dirty depending on what kind of engine it is and set up.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
843 Posts
I would just stick with dry filters since the reusable always has oil on them and tend to get the sensor in either the intake tube and even on the throttle body oily and dirty depending on what kind of engine it is and set up.
Yeah I know. Honestly I am getting annoyed with the lack of aftermarket support for this engine. Ticks me off because it is used in other cars, why they felt the need to make each filter different is beyond me.

The Stillen intakes on my 350Z had K&N cones, the MAF sensors were literally inches from the filters themselves and it never gave me an issue. I never really looked to see where the MAF sensor is on the SX, but there is a lot of tubing under that hood, I think it will be fine.

I will surely post if I run into any issues. And I kept my old paper filter just in case.

·
Registered
557 Posts
As much as I railed against K&N filters on this car, I broke down and got one anyway. I needed a new filter, was having a heck of a time tracking one down in stores (kept getting told it was a special order) and remembered that I had K&Ns on quite a few other cars of mine with zero problems.
I don't mind special ordering, since I'll get exactly what I want for a low price. I do have a car with very odd filters that are getting difficult even to special order, so I entirely understand the K&N option there. When the filter gets dirty, there's no searching for a new one. By the time the last store won't special-order my oddball filter, if I can't 3D print a new one, I'll get a cotton filter to keep the birds and large spiders out ;-)

A cotton filter mostly means more crud gets through. So you change the oil more often, and expect an unremarkable engine lifespan. It isn't a big deal. Cotton filters are usually just a bad choice because they don't work well. I haven't had the MAF problem, but if I did, I'd replace the MAF sensor hopefully before misfiring/detonation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts