Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Calgary Auto Show last week & was fortunate enough to win an IPOD Shuffle 2GB from Kia Canada.When the Kia representative yelled"We have a winner" I explained that it only cost me $22300 ( What I paid for my car:)). Only problem is that it loses Connection & when it reconnects it starts @ song 1:mad:.MY car has UVO.Any suggestions ? Has anyone else had this problem. It's quite intermittant.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
I won the same at the Toronto Auto Show (Kia display), but I haven't used it, I have a 8 gb mini-usb flash drive and that's far easier and more convenient to use.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I went to the Calgary Auto Show last week & was fortunate enough to win an IPOD Shuffle 2GB from Kia Canada.When the Kia representative yelled"We have a winner" I explained that it only cost me $22300 ( What I paid for my car:)). Only problem is that it loses Connection & when it reconnects it starts @ song 1:mad:.MY car has UVO.Any suggestions ? Has anyone else had this problem. It's quite intermittant.
I'm using a 16GB flash drive that does the same thing. It will reset and play from song 1. I mentioned it to Kia and they said it's probably the flash drive. I haven't tried another one yet to see if it is. If it's happening with other people too then it may be an issue with the USB port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not have a shuffle, but I do have an iPod Touch and an iPod nano. I don't know if what I am seeing is the same "cutting out" as what you are, but here is what I have been experiencing. I got my Rio last summer and the iPod worked great with UVO. I listen to a lot of podcasts and after a few weeks I had the following happen. I would be listening and then the podcast would stop and it would switch to Sirius or to the AM/FM radio. Sometimes it would stay like that and other times it would beep like I had just plugged in the iPod again and try to go back to my podcast. It would also sometimes get in a loop going between the radio and the iPod in very quick succession, never stating on either for very long. This happened at random times, but seems more common in warmer weather.

Over the winter this problem went away almost entirely. I think it happened maybe twice and I think those times were from hitting big bumps and jiggling the iPod and the cable. Just a few weeks ago, the problem came back. I am now dealing with it on a daily basis. I thought it might be heat related since I get it mostly when the car has been sitting in the sun for awhile and is warm inside. I have found that running the AC does seem to help. Strangely, when I first started driving yesterday morning, the car was cool, but the humidity was fairly high. It did the infinite loop between iPod and radio from the moment I started the car. Now, I think this may be more of a humidity thing than heat.

As an experiment I ran the AC while it was going through this looping and eventually it stopped and I could listen to the iPod. The car was cool ,but not cold and of course the humidity in the car was reduced. I should also mention that I have had this problem sitting in a parking lot with the engine not even on, so it is not a problem relating to movement. I have also used both of my iPods and 3 different cables, so I don't think it is a cable or Ipod issue. I also put some tracks on a new flash drive and sat in a parking lot and eventually it switched to the radio from the USB drive. This happened multiple time, though not as much as with the iPod and I never got the looping. The weather when doing this was hot (85 degrees) and humid. I had the windows open and it was fairly warm in the car.

My guess is there is an issue with the USB port or the radio system itself and when it gets to some temperature and/or humidity point this switching begins to happen. Now that I have done these tests I am going to talk to my dealership about it, but I wanted to post this since the shuffle problem sounds very similar. Hope this helps and if anyone else has been seeing something like this, I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
Any problem playing songs from the internal storage/Jukebox?

·
Registered
Former 2013 Rio SX Owner, 2014 Sorento EX
14 Posts
I have the exact same problem with all usb devices (Ipod, usb sticks, etc). There is another thread that talks about this although its title is something about USB Jukebox Fail or something.

I have had my usb port and head unit replaced. It did not fix it. Another user has had two head units replaced and the problem did not go away. There was mention that someone got theirs fixed because their dealership replaced the port that connects to the head unit from the dash. Have not heard anything since.

I had no issues for about 5 months with my Rio and then suddenly it started last fall. It is completely random. I cannot figure out what triggers is. Sometimes I think it is temperature but it has happened in hot and cold. Also I thought electrical load but that didn't seem to make a difference. It just happens randomly. I have had it happen once a day to 20 times in 5 minutes. Very annoying as I use my usb devices all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That really sucks, but I have to say that I am glad that I am not the only one. I have done searches for this problem on the Internet and have not really found anything. I was beginning to wonder if it was just my car.

It is really random for me too. Today, I was able to drive all the way to work, leave the car in the sun for about 3 hours, drive it some more, and then it finally messed up. All of this in pretty high humidity and a day starting in the 70's and getting into the 80's. Again, using the AC eventually proved to be a remedy. Seems like temperature and/or humidity certainly play a part.

I used to think that maybe it was a software thing and that a UVO update would fix it. I have updated it 2-3 times since I got the car and it has never made a difference. I am thinking it is a hardware issue. Good to know that people have gotten things replaced and that it hasn't made a difference. If the dealer suggests that I will know that it probably will not work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 UVO iPod Shuffle Playback Resets Playlist after 5 Minutes - Hear Same Songs Over

Summary of Problem: Listening to the iPod plugged in and left in the Sorento, while in the middle of a playlist you have on shuffle, (say, 12 of 201), you may decide to stop the car and go into a store. When you get back, the UVO will no longer be in the audio screen but back to the home screen, where you’re audio will no longer be on shuffle, but instead on continuous play. You have to turn shuffle back on, and when you do, your playlist starts over again (1 of 201) causing you to listen to the same song you just heard, and never allowing you to get to the end of a longer playlist, because every time you get in your car you have to start the playlist over again.

For reference, the case number at Kia Consumer Affairs is: K2806377. I last spoke to a supervisor Kendra. The reps name that handled the case is Eden.

I will take my time to make a helpful thread here for all us hardcore audiophiles here that like to keep an iPod in the car with various playlists (an audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction). I connect with a wire for the better sound quality compared to lower Bluetooth quality. I also added a couple subs to the car even though it came with one. The story is long, and my wife and I have been through alot with KIA Consumer Affairs in the past on this issue. We have the 2014 KIA Sorento Limited, all black with chrome wheels and red breaks :). Top of the line full screen UVO. Best car I ever had!

So good I purchased a 2016 Sorento Limited. All white, fully loaded down to the puddle lights. Nothing left off. I had to special order it and wait 6 months to get. So awesome! Until I realized I had the same iPod shuffle reset issue to continuous play after 5 minutes of the car being turned off when the media player returns to the home screen, and the audio moves to the top right.

I need to back up briefly to tell the whole story, as I had the same issue with the 2016 as the 2014, but the 2015 was fixed and worked correctly. KIA Consumer Affairs deemed the 2014 UVO not defective, and even though replacing my UVO with the 2015 would have resolved the issue, they refused to resolve it, and in fact made it very difficult for me along every step of the way, almost like a mission to not help me instead of making sure I was a happy KIA customer. The dealer, Savage Auto in Reading, PA, would not help (and I talked to the General Manager), and said I had to trade in my 2014 for a late year 2014 (after they fixed the UVO shuffle issue) or 2015. I just bought the car! Trade it in? That’s not a good solution.

So I went to Brown-Daub KIA in Easton, PA. The General Manager there was wonderful. Armand gave me the option to buy the 2015 UVO outright for $2,000 and replace it, which I did. They replaced it and the shuffle issue was resolved. That is why I purchased my 2016 Sorento there. Because of their excellent service team, and the compassion of Armand, and the new car sales manager Mike. KIA refused to cover anything as Consumer Affairs had it out for me (seriously, they did, they were relentless at trying to stop any advances that were made in resolving this issue).

Now to the 2016 Sorento. The one with the puddle lights . Of course we tested a less-equipped Sorento with the same UVO before we ordered a $48,000 fully loaded Sorento. We got out of the car for a few minutes, got back in, as saw the media screen and the tunes were on shuffle. We then ordered the car, and waited 6 months to get it. Drove it home. The next day got in and said what is this – a home screen, and my playlist is no longer on shuffle! We had no idea there was even a home screen to the UVO when we looked at the one on the lot. We would not know that because it takes 5 minutes for the UVO to return to the home screen to continuous play. We only waited a few minutes in the test.

Not only did I need to spend $2,000 to replace my 2014 UVO with a 2015, now I had to pay $1,500 to return the car. The dealer was awesome – we were heartbroken, like the loss of a pet or friend. Seriously, we really, really love the car. Never in my life did I have a car like that. All the cameras too, oh, just the best . Returning it back to the dealer was not just expensive, but hard on us.

So now I wait. Will they fix the UVO again late in the year like they did the 2014? The dealer thinks it is possible, so I am holding out. I gave my other car to my brother the day I bought the 2016 (a cool 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe). So now I only have one car, holding out for hope that KIA will fix the UVO, and I can finally buy the car of my dreams! But I won’t hold my breath. I called KIA Consumer Affairs today and it does not sound hopeful. I do not feel they want to hear our issues, or even care. I feel the reps I dealt with just want to defend KIA, and limit liability on KIA. So what else can I do but create this thread. If you have the same issue, please chime in and help us get heard by KIA so we can listen to music without having to hit shuffle every time we get in the car. My wife and I certainly would appreciate it. If anyone at KIA sees this and wants to help, please contact me. Thank you and God bless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts