Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just got a Kia C'eed 1.6 CRDi. I was looking to play music through my IPod Nano via the MP3 connection but I'm having some trouble.

I've looked around the web (including this forum) and I can say;

- I've connected the IPod Nano to the USB port via the cable that came with the IPod
- The music on the IPod Nano is all either .mp3 or .wma format
- I've pressed the "AUX" source button to get it to switch to the IPod Nano.
- I've switched the IPod Nana on.

One of two things happen. Either

1) The car starts playing music from my phone (via bluetooth)
2) A message appears on the dashboard saying "Media Error"

I think it has played once since I got the car, albeit very quietly.

I'm looking to see if there is a way I can consistently get the car to play the music from the IPod Nano via the USB input?

Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
You need to use the iPod adapter that came with your car, NOT the standard iPod - Computer lead.
One Of These - LINKY

The KIA one has iPod connector at one end and USB + 3.5mm headphone plug at the other. Car gets audio thru that headphone plug, and only uses USB to control your tunes.

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to use the iPod adapter that came with your car, NOT the standard iPod - Computer lead.
One Of These - LINKY

The KIA one has iPod connector at one end and USB + 3.5mm headphone plug at the other. Car gets audio thru that headphone plug, and only uses USB to control your tunes.
B'ah that's a pain, why won't it use a standard USB lead? That's the whole point of USB i.e. "Universal".

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Hope you can sort the problem. All I can say is that I use the connector that came with the car when I bought it new last year, just pluged it in and pressed AUX on the audio unit and all worked fine. Perhaps the problem is not with your connector lead or nano but with a faulty audio unit? If so, why not bend the ear of the dealer?

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope you can sort the problem. All I can say is that I use the connector that came with the car when I bought it new last year, just pluged it in and pressed AUX on the audio unit and all worked fine. Perhaps the problem is not with your connector lead or nano but with a faulty audio unit? If so, why not bend the ear of the dealer?
I'm using the USB lead that came with the IPod Nano. I wasn't given any cables with the car (it's less than a year old but technically used).

From the other replies, I'm assuming that the usual USB cable with the IPod Nano won't work with the car? If so I'll need to buy one :(

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all,

I've just got a Kia C'eed 1.6 CRDi. I was looking to play music through my IPod Nano via the MP3 connection but I'm having some trouble.

I've looked around the web (including this forum) and I can say;

- I've connected the IPod Nano to the USB port via the cable that came with the IPod
- The music on the IPod Nano is all either .mp3 or .wma format
- I've pressed the "AUX" source button to get it to switch to the IPod Nano.
- I've switched the IPod Nana on.

One of two things happen. Either

1) The car starts playing music from my phone (via bluetooth)
2) A message appears on the dashboard saying "Media Error"

I think it has played once since I got the car, albeit very quietly.

I'm looking to see if there is a way I can consistently get the car to play the music from the IPod Nano via the USB input?

Is there something I'm missing?
D'oh - I've got an IPod Shuffle. I've been trying to connect that via the USB cable provided with the IPod.

Will the Shuffle work via USB?

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!! It says DO NOT USE the ipod cable that came with your ipod. KIA makes one for this reason. Problem solved, well while your in there make sure your ipod is supported by your car, they make a list of all the ipods that will work for your year and model.

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!! It says DO NOT USE the ipod cable that came with your ipod. KIA makes one for this reason. Problem solved, well while your in there make sure your ipod is supported by your car, they make a list of all the ipods that will work for your year and model.
I've read the manual (being from an IT background it's the first thing I do). However it makes the implicit assumption that I've got either an IPod (ie. Nano/classic etc) rather than the IPod Shuffle I do have.

Where this is significant is that I can't use the IPod cables that are around. The IPod Shuffle has an audio input (for earphones) instead of the interface that is on the end of the KIA/IPod cable.

So the only solution is to use the USB cable that comes from Apple. Unless there is another cable that I can use which is specifically for IPod Shuffles.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Optima
12 Posts
Ipod Connector

I have read that in order to properly connect an ipod or iphone to a Kia, you should get an adapter available from the dealer. It sounded like the adapter made it so that it connected both to the USB and the standard headphone type input at the same time. Interesting... not sure why, but that should solve your problem!

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have read that in order to properly connect an ipod or iphone to a Kia, you should get an adapter available from the dealer. It sounded like the adapter made it so that it connected both to the USB and the standard headphone type input at the same time. Interesting... not sure why, but that should solve your problem!
The thing is there is no adapter for the IPod SHUFFLE (my mistake in the title).

Here is what I have;

iPod Shuffle

USB cable which looks like this

The iPod Shuffle DOESN'T have the dock connector the likes of the usual iPod Kia cables expect.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a cable which is suitable for the iPod Shuffle.

Does anyone know of any different?

On the plus side, I got the car to play MP3s from an ordinary USB stick :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Sadly mate you won't be able to control your shuffle via steering wheel, or charge it on-the-go, but you can use it as a music source;
3-5mm-Jack-to-3-5mm-Jack-Audio-1-5m-Cable
You'll be able to pick one up in Maplins for similar money if easier.

TBH though, you might as well get a 8/16Gb USB stick from Amazon, load it to the hills with MP3's and leave it in the car permanently.
I have one of these, works perfectly, super quick between tracks, holds hours of music & only £6.59 !!
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

=== edit ===
you've already mentioned USB stick, so last bit's prolly needless - a serious bargain if you want more tuneage in the car though :)

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly mate you won't be able to control your shuffle via steering wheel, or charge it on-the-go, but you can use it as a music source;
3-5mm-Jack-to-3-5mm-Jack-Audio-1-5m-Cable
You'll be able to pick one up in Maplins for similar money if easier.

TBH though, you might as well get a 8/16Gb USB stick from Amazon, load it to the hills with MP3's and leave it in the car permanently.
I have one of these, works perfectly, super quick between tracks, holds hours of music & only £6.59 !!
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB USB Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

=== edit ===
you've already mentioned USB stick, so last bit's prolly needless - a serious bargain if you want more tuneage in the car though :)
Agreed, I'd be better just using a USB stick. I'll just need to figure out a way of getting my playlists onto it from iTunes but if I can't Copy & Paste works fine or, as you say, load it to the hills and enjoy :D

·
Registered
863 Posts
I never liked iTunes on the PC, but now we have a macbook it's the best option for my ipod nano, sadly :(
I simply grab tracks from my itunes library and drag them to my USB stick, but assuming you're on a PC that might not be so simple :(

Tapping the RDM button on stereo will randomise within the current folder, holding RDM will pick tunes from all folders :)
- note: you will realise it's not really random, but follows the same rdm selection every time.

My USB stick is mostly setup as 1 album per folder, with the odd folder of mixtape sessions or unrelated tracks, so that 'hold RDM button' trick works great for long journeys, or if I fancy a surprise.

Good luck with your musical mission mate :)

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never liked iTunes on the PC, but now we have a macbook it's the best option for my ipod nano, sadly :(
I simply grab tracks from my itunes library and drag them to my USB stick, but assuming you're on a PC that might not be so simple :(

Tapping the RDM button on stereo will randomise within the current folder, holding RDM will pick tunes from all folders :)
- note: you will realise it's not really random, but follows the same rdm selection every time.

My USB stick is mostly setup as 1 album per folder, with the odd folder of mixtape sessions or unrelated tracks, so that 'hold RDM button' trick works great for long journeys, or if I fancy a surprise.

Good luck with your musical mission mate :)
Thanks dubster. I'll figure something out. The fact that I can play MP3 files and plug-in any sort of device was a massive uptick on buying the Kia in the first place and I'm not disappointed.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Ah, I understand what you ment now about your shuffle not having the bottom port like the other ipods. Interesting, and your right the KIA cable wont help you there. An aux calbe for your headphones that you can connenct to the the aux port and you can at least listen to your music that way.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Personally I have an iPod and the right cable but quickly came to the conclusion that a USB stick was far better. Quicker, easier and less of a security risk.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I'd stick a final post in here for those who come and search in the future.

1. iPod models such as the Nano/Classic require a Kia converter cable to connect to the Kia audio system. They cannot use a normal iPod to USB cable either.
2. The iPod Shuffle, which doesn't have the iPod 30-pin connection on it, cannot use the Kia converter cable. It cannot use the USB cable either.
3. The best way to play MP3, other than buying the cable, is to buy a simple USB stick, copy and paste music onto it as you normally would copy files/folders.
4. If you want to copy over iTunes playlists onto a USB stick, use Double Twist

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
I thought I'd stick a final post in here for those who come and search in the future.

1. iPod models such as the Nano/Classic require a Kia converter cable to connect to the Kia audio system. They cannot use a normal iPod to USB cable either.
2. The iPod Shuffle, which doesn't have the iPod 30-pin connection on it, cannot use the Kia converter cable. It cannot use the USB cable either.
3. The best way to play MP3, other than buying the cable, is to buy a simple USB stick, copy and paste music onto it as you normally would copy files/folders.
4. If you want to copy over iTunes playlists onto a USB stick, use Double Twist

I hope this helps.
Just play the Shuffle into the AUX using a 3.5/3.5 stereo cable. The jerk at the audio store tried to sell be an expensive cable to do this... "It will transfer the music much faster" (lol). This is the latest scam; electronic gear is quite cheap these days, so they try to upsell you on adapters, cables etc. Some guy even tried to sell me a massive surge protector to go with my new notebook computer.

Seems like Apple is going to move away from the 30-Pin plug.

·
Registered
Kia C'eed 3 1.6 CRDi
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just play the Shuffle into the AUX using a 3.5/3.5 stereo cable. The jerk at the audio store tried to sell be an expensive cable to do this... "It will transfer the music much faster" (lol). This is the latest scam; electronic gear is quite cheap these days, so they try to upsell you on adapters, cables etc. Some guy even tried to sell me a massive surge protector to go with my new notebook computer.

Seems like Apple is going to move away from the 30-Pin plug.
Apple are notorious for that kind of thing...

Anyway, does the 3.5/3.5 stereo cable allow the iPod Shuffle to be controlled via the car's controls (e.g. skip/scan)?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts