Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2011 Sorento, I need the specific Kia cable to control my iPod/iPhone from the steering wheel controls.

Few questions :

1) Is this cable needed for the 2014 model ? If yes, is it included with the car ?

2) Is there any limitations when using an iPhone 5 (I think I have read about thaht somewhere) ?

3) On the nav system, is it possible to see the artwork of the song playing when present on the iPod/iPhone ?

4) Other comments about using/controlling an iPod/iPhone with the nav system (SX model) ?

5) By the way, is the RDM function still desactivates everytime something happen (synchronisation of contacts, call received, etc.) ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
In my 2011 Sorento, I need the specific Kia cable to control my iPod/iPhone from the steering wheel controls.

Few questions :

1) Is this cable needed for the 2014 model ? If yes, is it included with the car ?

2) Is there any limitations when using an iPhone 5 (I think I have read about thaht somewhere) ?

3) On the nav system, is it possible to see the artwork of the song playing when present on the iPod/iPhone ?

4) Other comments about using/controlling an iPod/iPhone with the nav system (SX model) ?

5) By the way, is the RDM function still desactivates everytime something happen (synchronisation of contacts, call received, etc.) ?

Thanks.
1. No, an extra cable is not needed. Just use your normal iPod cable that came with your iPod.

2. There may be, but I think Kia has said an update is coming. Check myuvo.com for the information, because I believe the iPhone 5 update and Android might come at the same time.

3. Yes, the artwork displays.

4. Works nicely. Only annoying thing is that I have to reset the Shuffle every time I turn the vehicle back on as it reverts to playing songs from a single album. Pretty easy because you just hit menu and then shuffle, but just a slight annoyance.

5. I think they fixed the random/shuffle thing, although I'm not familiar with that bug. Haven't noticed it though, so I'm assuming it got fixed.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. There may be, but I think Kia has said an update is coming. Check myuvo.com for the information, because I believe the iPhone 5 update and Android might come at the same time.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Us Canadians can register and use on myuvo.com website and get updates ?

Here is what I found for the iPhone 5 :

https://www.myuvo.com/support/uvo-e...etooth-compatibility/att-apple-iphone-5.shtml

What is the function for SMS ? You can read or (even better) hear your SMS through the nav system ?

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
From what I can see, Canadians cannot register in My UVO as when input VIN, edit comes back as invalid. Presume it will only accept U.S. VINS.
Further I don't think we Canadians even have a "UVO". That label is not on the lower center consul as it is in the U.S. SX's and SXL's and the term is not used in the manual - called "Digital Navigation System". Further when you look at the MyUVO site, it's entire focus seems to be on E services.
There is a photo of the Nav screen in the Convenience Features section, showing 7 icons. My SX only has two of those - Help and GPS Info; the other 5 are E Services related.
Info on got from Kia Canada indicated no plans for E Services in Canada. Too bad !!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Us Canadians can register and use on myuvo.com website and get updates ?

Here is what I found for the iPhone 5 :

https://www.myuvo.com/support/uvo-e...etooth-compatibility/att-apple-iphone-5.shtml

What is the function for SMS ? You can read or (even better) hear your SMS through the nav system ?
Looks like they released the Android app now. I know they were saying they were going to update it for Android and iPhone 5's. I'm guessing the unit itself must just work out of the box with the iPhone 5, but I cannot confirm. We can't register on myuvo.com. I've tried and never recognizes my vin.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like they released the Android app now. I know they were saying they were going to update it for Android and iPhone 5's. I'm guessing the unit itself must just work out of the box with the iPhone 5, but I cannot confirm. We can't register on myuvo.com. I've tried and never recognizes my vin.
Android phones need an app to work through the nav radio system ?

Anyone tried SMS through the nav radio system ?

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Android phones need an app to work through the nav radio system ?

Anyone tried SMS through the nav radio system ?
No, the UVO E-services IS an app on your iPhone or Android. The parking minder and all that junk is done through an app.

I haven't tried SMS through the nav yet. I'm not sure if this is a UVO feature or if it is cooked right in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No, the UVO E-services IS an app on your iPhone or Android. The parking minder and all that junk is done through an app.

I haven't tried SMS through the nav yet. I'm not sure if this is a UVO feature or if it is cooked right in.
I haven't read anywhere that SMS reading or sending is possible on any trim level. That's generally a big deal on a bluetooth/nav system, and I've seen no mention of it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't read anywhere that SMS reading or sending is possible on any trim level. That's generally a big deal on a bluetooth/nav system, and I've seen no mention of it.
Have a look on my link above and you will see that SMS function is listed but not operational for iPhone 5. But I guess must be for other phones, did not search for others.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Have a look on my link above and you will see that SMS function is listed but not operational for iPhone 5. But I guess must be for other phones, did not search for others.
Interesting. I looked at every phone on their phone list and not one had SMS capability. I have read before that only windows 8 phones are compatible on another forum, but I'm not really sure.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX 2WD Dark Cherry
19 Posts
The SMS function is only operational on phone running Windows Mobile, I believe. Somewhere I saw a chart regarding which phones would work, and it was a small minority of phones. Now I can't find that chart. It definitely doesn't work for my iPhone 4S; if I want someone to read me my SMS or dictate a reply I have to dig it out of my pocket, mute the stereo, and have Siri do it.

-Andrew

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I can confirm it works on Windows phone. Have a Lumia 920 and it reads all the texts! I can even reply to texts by voice.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX w/3rd Row
76 Posts
4. Works nicely. Only annoying thing is that I have to reset the Shuffle every time I turn the vehicle back on as it reverts to playing songs from a single album. Pretty easy because you just hit menu and then shuffle, but just a slight annoyance.
I'm glad you find it to be a "slight" annoyance, because I downright HATE it. I think they should FIX the darn bug and get it out to dealerships to update in everyone's cars.

It really sucks because it's something I have to do EVERY time I get in the car, right at the beginning of each and every experience.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For this, Kia does not seem to learn since it was exactly the same problem on my 2011 Sorento.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts