Kia Forum banner

ipod cable/ radio control

51K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  britboySWFL 
#1 ·
Here are some images of the ipod cable I purchased on ebay. it was less than $25 US including shipping. It works great and read out is nice as well. I only wish it came with the car.:cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I just bought a new 2010 Kia Forte. Do I need to find a cord specific to my car (the Forte), or will any Kia ipod cable work? Because I saw some on ebay that looked like the ones shown from "seanma8" in his images, but I would like to know if it will work on my Forte before I purchase it. Otherwise, does anyone know where I can purchase one that will work with my car for sure?

While using this cord, do you have the control of playing your ipod through the radio? I have an Aux. jack and can play my ipod manually by holding my ipod, but will this ipod cable allow me to play using my radio?

#14 ·
Can anyone give a more detailed explanation of what the stereo displays once you've purchased the "official" Kia ipod cord, and plugged it in. I'm a little leary from what I'm hearing on here. Does it not show the same things as the ipod screen? Artist, Albums, Titles? Can you not scroll using the catalog folder arrows, or something like that? How does it work exactly? Thanks! I'm really thinking of purchasing one of these...

#15 ·
Despite all the issues it's still better than using a audio cable. On my rio, the audio cable Jack snapped internally during normal use so it's definitely safer to use the iPod cable. Also, you don't run the risk of sending a clipped signal if your iPod is turned up too high.

The screen is very good , you can search/sort by playlists genres songs and artists in the first tier, then whichever you select then goes on to the most sensible next step. Ie
playlists,artists,song. Each category has an ALL feature. Another example is genres,artist,song. Or artist,album,song
whichever category you settle on offer random and repeat functions. The biggest we have here is there's no way to easily fly through the first letters of the category you are in, so with a lot of songs you end up spinning the right knob quite a bit if you have a seriously loaded iPod.

#16 ·
Ok, thanks! That did help. BUT it sounds to me like it's no worse off scrolling through songs/artists/etc. than it is using the scroll wheel directly on the iPod. I mean, I always use artist. So I select artist, gives me albums, I spin my finger round and round on the scroll wheel til I get the album I want, then hit play, or again spin using the scroll wheel to get the song I want from within that album. Isn't it the same thing here, except you're using the right knob? (Sorry, I just really want to make sure it's worth buying. Since I too, feel it should have just came with the car. BUT they totally did it to make a few extra bucks. LOL)

#17 ·
Why not just buy the actual Kia cable? Factory part, covered by a warranty, $35...

#18 ·
RonTonkinKia, that's exactly what I'm asking about. But (unless I'm misunderstood) some people on here don't seem that happy with the way it works with the stereo display; so I was just trying to make sure it did what I needed it to do, before making the purchase (as I'm sure it's unreturnable. LOL)

#22 ·
I think they are buying these cables on eBAY because they save a few bucks, probably the same cable (not sure). The display should be the same, if anything the eBAY knock off should be lower quality. I am just saying that a KIA factory part will have a warranty on it and you can bring it back to your local dealer.

Ebay? Try getting ahold of the seller after your purchase haha. When and IF you do, try getting a refund... Good luck.

Nathan, what do you need it to do?

#20 ·
I noticed on Kia's features booklet it states:

"To avoid damage to your USB device: Connect the device after starting the vehicle. Make sure the device is not plugged in when starting. Disconnect carefully. Change the audio system to a mode other than AUX/USB or turn the system off before disconnecting the device."

Is this just a "to cover our (Kia's) butts" statement. Or are these issues more possible with the cable? I've used 3rd party items for years (they plug into the power outlet) and I usually will just leave my iPod connected to the 3rd party ipod player when I leave the car, turn the car off, turn the car on, etc. I'd hate to have to remove it/plug it back in each and every time I leave/get into the car.

#21 ·
From the sounds of it they don't want it connected while starting because it could possibly send a charge through the cable into your iPOD. I think you would probably be OK.

#25 ·
I may be completely wrong, but I don't believe you can use the "stock" iPod cable. I believe it is because the car cannot read encoded audio (like files with DRM, M4U's, etc...) The iPod adapter cable just controls the iPod while the audio is transferred through the audio jack.

No problem with the Nano? Hm... You're plugging the Nano in with an audio cable or USB cable?

#27 ·
it will be..

it will be a problem, you need to buy the kia cable. you cannot use the Ipod's cable.

Some devices like older ipods and nanos have "hard-drive" or thumbdrive-like properties. This behaviour allows a "less-proprietary" type control over the Ipod and allows simple thumbdrive-like playback. On the Iphone and Ipod Touch, you need to use Kia's cable as it allows for Apples proprietary control protocols to pass over a direct connection. However I also feel they are using the 1/8th in. jack for the audio because if your cable is slightly disconnected you will have interface control, but the audio will drop out.

#28 ·
Careful with your dealers... I paid $49 plus tax for my cable today. I didn't argue or even mention the markup. Coming from a high line dealership I feel bad for those guys. :(

I like it a lot! :D Couldn't be happier with its function. Especially the fact that I can go from the end of my playlist to the beginning and back. Ah, the small things that make me happy.

#29 ·
Ouch... I believe at the $35 tag we are still making a little bit.

#30 ·
Bought the USB cable off ebay for 20 bucks or so. It doesn't work with my touch either, and I believe its the software on the touch. 2.x worked fine with the iphone aparently, but it changed with this new release (i'm on 3.0).

I'll try my 30 gig video to be sure. Just to clarify though, you can use your ipod cable, however you won't have audio, probably. The cable is literally the same as an ipod cable, but breaks out the audio to the aux jack. Nothing special, it just makes the car act like an ipod dock. The ipod is still doing the DAC and playing the music. This is contrasted to a USB key where the forte is decoding the MP3s.

#31 ·
iPOD CABLE. CALL ME SLOW ON THE UPTAKE BUT...

... am I to understand that the USB cable I use to download my tunes and 'casts is different than the cable available from KIA?

When I connect to the USB port in the car I have access to my d/l's but I can only advance them alphabetically, one at a time. What am I missing... other than possibly the correct cable? Thanks. Ray

#35 ·
... am I to understand that the USB cable I use to download my tunes and 'casts is different than the cable available from KIA?

When I connect to the USB port in the car I have access to my d/l's but I can only advance them alphabetically, one at a time. What am I missing... other than possibly the correct cable? Thanks. Ray
It is very different. The KIA cable allows the vehicle to control the iPod, not read the content.

#32 ·
Hey RonTonkinKia, that's the problem! These cables are ridiculously marked up! They wanted me to pay $40. plus tax, etc. for a cable at one Kia dealership, and it was their last one. That's the other issue, EVERYONE is out of them?! I've called quite a few dealerships around me, no one has them. What's the deal? So I purchased mine from Ebay, it's legit, not a knock off; the guy got them from a Kia dealership that was closing; and it only cost me $28. WITH shipping! Great deal! And it works like a pro!

Thanks for everyone's input and help!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.