Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Hatchback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Today I purchased a 2013 Kia Rio Hatchback. I also got a ipod cable with it. I plugged my Iphone 4s into it and the AUX comes up on the screen. It charges and plays no problem, but I cannot control the Iphone through the stereo or the steering wheel controls. The Kia screen just stays AUX. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Hatchback
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed

I am answering my own question. This morning I tried my apple USB, and sure enough, works like a champ. No need for the Kia IPod cable. It worked with old iPod and iPhone 4S. :)

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
as you have figured out, the kia cable is only required for really old ipods for control via the uvo system, all new ones work 100% without the fancy cable, regular apple cable is sufficient.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
as you have figured out, the kia cable is only required for really old ipods for control via the uvo system, all new ones work 100% without the fancy cable, regular apple cable is sufficient.
Reading various threads here, I became aware of this fact too. However, my own experience with Apple's iPod cable has been mixed. Sometimes it works flawlessly - but other times it can't seem to connect to the system (I have the Nav). Replugging it in seems to correct this issue.

Having to use a workaround is kind of a pain. Plus, coiling up the cable in the recess area just looks messy. I suppose I could buy one of those retractable cables. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
coiling up the cable in the recess area just looks messy. I suppose I could buy one of those retractable cables. Hmmm.
That's what I use, much cleaner look and my iPhone sits in there nice and pretty without sticking up. Cord stays out of the shifter area as well!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
That's what I use, much cleaner look and my iPhone sits in there nice and pretty without sticking up. Cord stays out of the shifter area as well!
Which one did you buy? So many of the ones I see on eBay still have that huge dock connector end...

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
Which one did you buy? So many of the ones I see on eBay still have that huge dock connector end...
The one I have I picked up locally at a close out store called Ollie's. It still has the same size connector but being retractable the cord is thinner then most so it flexes must better.

·
Registered
Lotus Elise S1, Kia Rio 3 (2012), Yamaha FZ6
48 Posts
I found that the Kia cable does nothing when connecting my iPhone 4 to my Rio 3 (UK), it just says "aux" as if it's only recognising the 3.5mm jack. Using a standard USB cable works as expected. Using a retractable one is a good idea, and I have found that if you then stand the phone on it's head, as it were, you can rest it against the bottom lip of the tray, the cable which protrude and lean up against the bottom bit of the dash near your aircon controls, and the screen is thus nicely tilted for you to actually read it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts