Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Iphone 4S - latest IOS (5.0.1?)

So I typically have my iPhone paired with bluetooth in my 2011 Kia Optima. Whenever it's paired, my phone will not play audio alerts out loud for Text Messages or Emails. Of course, it will ring phone over bluetooth on an incoming call, but I never hear texts or e-mail notifications.

Plugging in with the Kia cable - same symptom unless I turn off bluetooth.. then the sounds will play from the iPhone (but not through the car speakers).

Am I making any sense? Is this a known issue with the iPhone? With IOS? With KIA in general because of this stupid proprietary cable?

·
Registered
'12 Optima EX Premium
15 Posts
Try using just the iphone cable, not the KIA cable.. I get my notifications with no problems

·
Registered
Titanium 2013 Soul 4U 2.4 Litre Coupe Mantronic Transmission Back Up Camera & UVO
94 Posts
Makes perfect sense. I had the same issuer with my 2010 Soul 4U, and now with my 2012 Optims. I think it MAY be an annoying Safety Feature

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL and 2011 Sportage EX
19 Posts
When paired to the car, the car, for lack of a better way of putting it, becomes the "headphones" for the phone. If you had headphones plugged into the phone, , the phone wouldn't send sounds out the internal phone speaker either.

That's how I explained it to my wife and it made sense to her.

·
Registered
Titanium 2013 Soul 4U 2.4 Litre Coupe Mantronic Transmission Back Up Camera & UVO
94 Posts
Interesting theory, BUT ... when I have my iPhone 4S is paired with my BT standalone headset, all notifications and ringtones come through the BT paired standalone headset.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Magna42, no difference with the Apple Cord and the Kia Cord, in my Soul4U or my 2012 Optima LX when connected via BT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting theory, BUT ... when I have my iPhone 4S is paired with my BT standalone headset, all notifications and ringtones come through the BT paired standalone headset.
I wasn't saying it's like that with all BT paired devices, just our Optima's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm hoping that with IOS 6 we will have the ability to modify the BT profiles. I know for a fact that some softwares (like a GPS app I used to use), would allow me to default that apps sound to the iPhone speaker (even when I was connected to the Optima).

I personally would like to tell the phone that only phone and iTunes/music is sent to the car via BT. Everything else is through the phone.

My educated guess is that it's coming. The technology is already there and BT profiles can already be manipulated under certain "hacking" methods.

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX, 2010 Soul !
178 Posts
What you're experiencing is completely normal. The bluetooth connection goes into a low power mode to save on battery usage when it's not actively being used and takes a few seconds to "wake up" when a notification comes across. Usually just a tad longer than the alert sound takes to play.

·
Registered
2K13 Forte SX Lux yada yada yada...
147 Posts
best of both worlds...

Iphone 4S - latest IOS (5.0.1?)

So I typically have my iPhone paired with bluetooth in my 2011 Kia Optima. Whenever it's paired, my phone will not play audio alerts out loud for Text Messages or Emails. Of course, it will ring phone over bluetooth on an incoming call, but I never hear texts or e-mail notifications.

Plugging in with the Kia cable - same symptom unless I turn off bluetooth.. then the sounds will play from the iPhone (but not through the car speakers).

Am I making any sense? Is this a known issue with the iPhone? With IOS? With KIA in general because of this stupid proprietary cable?
I'm chiming in (pun intended) and the way I have my setup for alerts, is that I completely bypass the cable altogether. I enable bluetooth streaming and then both music AND and alerts come in.

The only caveat is that if you have to switch to call, I have noticed that the system will switch you back to radio or sat instead of where you were last ie. BT streaming audio. So just a push of the AUX button and you're back to streaming.

The other USB port is used for BULK music files directly off a mini SD card Reader. works wonders.

good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts