Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento Platinum 2017
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded to an iphone 5 from a 4. In my 2012 Sorento I was given a cable when I bought the car which has a combination AUX pin and usb. When plugged into the iphone 4 it automatically connected to the stereo and showed track information etc. For the 5 I bought the 30 pin to 8 pin adapter and plugged it into my cable then plugged into the phone.....Now it just shows the phone as being an Mp3 and no track or artist info shows up.
Does anyone know a work around for this? Is there a new cable being supplied with cars that has the 8 pin plug for the new iphones? I rang the dealership where I bought the car and the salesman couldn't work it out, he wants me to come in so he can have a play around with it.
If you just use the cable that comes with the phone which is just the usb plug and the 8 pin it also just shows the phone as being an mp3.
Not sure if anyone else has found this but the quality of the sound when using the cable connection is way superior to that when just bluetoothing so I would much prefer to have my old method.
Hope someone out there has some answers for me!
Cheers.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Unfortunately Apple screwed alot of people over when they switched to the new connectors. Hyundai and Kia aren't the only ones with problems because of this. I ended up just buying a USB charger for my phone and now I just stream my music over bluetooth. Kinda sucks, but atleast I can still play my music.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 Luxury
89 Posts
My adapter works great. I just go from the kia iPod adapter to the apple 8pin adapter. I miss having the UVO in my old 2012, because there was no need for the Kia adapter.

·
Registered
Sorento Platinum 2017
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to say my issue has a happy ending.....I did a bit of research and found people that bought the authentic Apple adapter had no problems with the transfer of information. So this morning I went to my local apple store, grabbed the 'real deal' 30 pin to lightining adapter and plugged it in and all is now perfect again. All the track info is there and the steering wheel controls all function as they should. I guess this is a classic case of you get what you pay for. :)

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
Yes, aftermarket parts for Apple, especially the new iphone 5 are hit and miss. Apple put a new chip/algorithm in the newest accessories so that everyone would have to pay licensing to Apple if they want to get in on the action. That's the way Apple set it up. They don't want people to reduce costs and eat into their pie.

You are so right, you get what you pay for with Apple aftermarket accessories.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
576 Posts
Unfortunately Apple screwed alot of people over when they switched to the new connectors. Hyundai and Kia aren't the only ones with problems because of this. I ended up just buying a USB charger for my phone and now I just stream my music over bluetooth. Kinda sucks, but atleast I can still play my music.
This is how i also plug my ip5 - using a lightning cable and a generic usb lighter adapter. It streams via bluetooth and i don't seem to notice the difference in quality either by bluetooth or kia cable.

To those who bought a 30pin to 8pin adapter, how do u connect the 3.5mm audio plug? Or you don't need it no more?

·
Registered
532 Posts
This is how i also plug my ip5 - using a lightning cable and a generic usb lighter adapter. It streams via bluetooth and i don't seem to notice the difference in quality either by bluetooth or kia cable.

To those who bought a 30pin to 8pin adapter, how do u connect the 3.5mm audio plug? Or you don't need it no more?
I originally bought the Apple 30-8pin adapter but literally returned it within 5 minutes after finding out it doesn't charge the phone anymore.

That's why I just ended up buying a generic Cigarette-USB charger. Much easier. I find the iPod interface on the radios stupid and hard to use. When I stream over bluetooth, I can use the phone to select my music...not have to use the radio interface.

·
Registered
Sorento Platinum 2017
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I originally bought the Apple 30-8pin adapter but literally returned it within 5 minutes after finding out it doesn't charge the phone anymore.

That's why I just ended up buying a generic Cigarette-USB charger. Much easier. I find the iPod interface on the radios stupid and hard to use. When I stream over bluetooth, I can use the phone to select my music...not have to use the radio interface.
In Australia we are not allowed to use our phones whilst driving. They have to be in a fixed cradle. So not being able to change tracks etc whilst driving would be a real pain for me. Also, as I said before, there is a definite loss in sound quality when using bluetooth as opposed to direct from the source via cable. And also, using the original Kia supplied cable and the adaptor.....my phone charges fine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In Australia we are not allowed to use our phones whilst driving. They have to be in a fixed cradle. So not being able to change tracks etc whilst driving would be a real pain for me. Also, as I said before, there is a definite loss in sound quality when using bluetooth as opposed to direct from the source via cable. And also, using the original Kia supplied cable and the adaptor.....my phone charges fine.
That's strange that you have a quality loss over Bluetooth. Mine sounds just as crisp as it does if I had it directly plugged in.

Also, Apple may have updated the Adaptor, but when I tried mine, It didn't charge the phone. It would play perfectly fine, just wouldn't charge.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX AWD
5 Posts
Hey guys,
I know its an older thread, but just picked up a 2011 LX and love it. I read the posts but still want to give my situation and hope i can get some help. I have regular system and have an iphone 5. I tried the cable that came with my phone in the usb port and it just keeps flipping between trying to charge amd not charge and finally says USB Read Error. Side note is I have iOS7 beta on my phone. I think bluetooth streaming sounds terrible. Do i need the Kia wire and also will I get controls on dash n steering wheel? How bout Pandora? I already have Apple Brand Lightning adapter that just plugs onto the normal 30 pin Apple cord. Please help me!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey guys,
I know its an older thread, but just picked up a 2011 LX and love it. I read the posts but still want to give my situation and hope i can get some help. I have regular system and have an iphone 5. I tried the cable that came with my phone in the usb port and it just keeps flipping between trying to charge amd not charge and finally says USB Read Error. Side note is I have iOS7 beta on my phone. I think bluetooth streaming sounds terrible. Do i need the Kia wire and also will I get controls on dash n steering wheel? How bout Pandora? I already have Apple Brand Lightning adapter that just plugs onto the normal 30 pin Apple cord. Please help me!!
You cannot just plug it into the USB port...we're talking about the cable you can buy from Kia/Hyundai that utilizes both the Auxiliary and USB outputs on your car. They can be had for around $20-$25...but they don't sell it for the new Lightning connector on the iPhone 5...you have to go spend more money and get the 30-Pin to Lightning connector. If you want to save the hassle just buy a Auxilary cable. If you wanna charge your phone just buy a cigarette-usb charger and use the cable that came with your phone.

It's strange that some people have terrible sounding audio via BT streaming. Mine sounds just as good as if I was using an AUX cable!

·
Registered
Sorento 2012 SI
5 Posts
The guys that connect their iphone 5 via bluetooth... do you get steering wheel controls and song info on the screen?

I thought I heard of some people getting controls and display and others not. Mine does not, which is the only downside to bluetooth for me. Or is there a trick that I am missing?

Cheers

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX AWD
5 Posts
My bluetooth sounds terrible and has no radio controls. I set it to max and it is equivilent to about 14-15 on the radio mode. Ordered Kia cable, will have today or tomm. Already own the 30 pin to lightning adapter. So i should be good to go?

·
Registered
Honda Jazz, Kia Sorrento MY13 Platinum 2.2 crdi diesel, Auto, AWD
43 Posts
My bluetooth sounds terrible and has no radio controls. I set it to max and it is equivilent to about 14-15 on the radio mode. Ordered Kia cable, will have today or tomm. Already own the 30 pin to lightning adapter. So i should be good to go?
Hope 30 pin to lightning adapter is from Apple, non apple ones have issues with skip track etc i believe.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento SX AWD
54 Posts
The guys that connect their iphone 5 via bluetooth... do you get steering wheel controls and song info on the screen?

I thought I heard of some people getting controls and display and others not. Mine does not, which is the only downside to bluetooth for me. Or is there a trick that I am missing?

Cheers
i have the SX with Inifiniti navi stereo. my steering wheel controls work with bluetooth. however, no artist/song info is displayed when i connect via bluetooth. pretty weak if you ask me. i dont need cover art or anything fancy, but artist/song is pretty basic.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
i have the SX with Inifiniti navi stereo. my steering wheel controls work with bluetooth. however, no artist/song info is displayed when i connect via bluetooth. pretty weak if you ask me. i dont need cover art or anything fancy, but artist/song is pretty basic.
With my non-nav UVO system, it's hit or miss whether or not the mp3 tags are shown on the screen. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The steering wheel controls do work to skip songs though.

·
Registered
2015 Sedona EX - Premium Package
737 Posts
@pattij, Just wait for a while for KIA if they will support connectivity via cable for latest iPhone models. AFAIK, KIA develop UVO for it's telematics where phone with Bluetooth device will automatically connecting into it's Head Unit. Is simple as that but for charging purposes, KIA now has a lot of USB outlets for newer models. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad to say my issue has a happy ending.....I did a bit of research and found people that bought the authentic Apple adapter had no problems with the transfer of information. So this morning I went to my local apple store, grabbed the 'real deal' 30 pin to lightining adapter and plugged it in and all is now perfect again. All the track info is there and the steering wheel controls all function as they should. I guess this is a classic case of you get what you pay for. :)
what cable did you buy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts