Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX, 2000 Jeep WJ
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of trying the iPod cord on my iPad for in the car. However the one's I've seen are pretty short cords, meant for having an iPod close to the usb port. Anyone seen longer cords? Or someone tried it and does it work the same as an iPod?

·
Registered
Sportage 2011 G3 SilverBlue
86 Posts
Hi,

I have a Witson unit installed, have used the IPAD and works exactly the same as an IPOD.

Rgds.
Victor

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
i didn't think that the cable was needed on the sportage? maybe it's just not needed on the UVO system? i dunno. i have used my regular ipod cable to connect my ipod video 5G 30GB, and it works ok. it's a bit slow, and the menus are nearly useless because i have like 600 artists and thousands of albums, etc. it takes a while to load all that up and then scan through it.

have you considered using an ipad compatible DC-usb converter with your ipad cable and then just sync it up via bluetooth? then you just use the ipad to interface with your music (in whatever app you want to use)? this is what i do with my nexus s 4g. again, might not apply for non-uvo head unit.

sorry if this post doesn't apply to you because 2011 had a different head unit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didn't think that the cable was needed on the sportage? maybe it's just not needed on the UVO system? i dunno. i have used my regular ipod cable to connect my ipod video 5G 30GB, and it works ok. it's a bit slow, and the menus are nearly useless because i have like 600 artists and thousands of albums, etc. it takes a while to load all that up and then scan through it.

have you considered using an ipad compatible DC-usb converter with your ipad cable and then just sync it up via bluetooth? then you just use the ipad to interface with your music (in whatever app you want to use)? this is what i do with my nexus s 4g. again, might not apply for non-uvo head unit.

sorry if this post doesn't apply to you because 2011 had a different head unit.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that with the '12s with the UVO have to have the connector that has both the USB and audio on it. I've tried one of my iPods, and it doesn't put the audio through, only charges it via just simply USB.

Might give the 12" cable a try. Not sure if it will still be long enough for the iPad to sit in the passenger seat or not. Maybe I'll measure a string and see if it is before ordering.

Thanks guys. If anyone else has a longer cable or has tried this before, let me know. Appreciate it

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure that with the '12s with the UVO have to have the connector that has both the USB and audio on it. I've tried one of my iPods, and it doesn't put the audio through, only charges it via just simply USB.

Might give the 12" cable a try. Not sure if it will still be long enough for the iPad to sit in the passenger seat or not. Maybe I'll measure a string and see if it is before ordering.

Thanks guys. If anyone else has a longer cable or has tried this before, let me know. Appreciate it
:huh:

sorry bro. i have a '12 SX and that cable is obsolete with my uvo system. like i said in my post. i have connected my ipod 5g video 30GB to my stereo via the apple supplied ipod cable connected to the USB port. using the Media button to select the device and using the UVO menu to select media on the ipod to play.

Maybe i wasn't clear enough the first time through?

you have to be careful with those ipod accessory cables. the old rotten apple has swapped pins in that plug about 5 times last i checked. somehow they haven't gotten popped for violation of IEEE standards regulating the use of universal serial bus. no way to tell what will and won't work, unless you buy and try.

what exactly is wrong with using the bluetooth+usb power setup? seems like you would be using the ipad interface and not the head unit to select music. maybe you just want to leave ipad in a bag? i dunno.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX
177 Posts
One of these

And one of these

If you're not a fan of links, they are a USB extension and 3.5 mm extension. May not be the prettiest setup in the world, but it will get the job done and will easily reach the backseat as well.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:huh:

sorry bro. i have a '12 SX and that cable is obsolete with my uvo system. like i said in my post. i have connected my ipod 5g video 30GB to my stereo via the apple supplied ipod cable connected to the USB port. using the Media button to select the device and using the UVO menu to select media on the ipod to play.

Maybe i wasn't clear enough the first time through?

you have to be careful with those ipod accessory cables. the old rotten apple has swapped pins in that plug about 5 times last i checked. somehow they haven't gotten popped for violation of IEEE standards regulating the use of universal serial bus. no way to tell what will and won't work, unless you buy and try.

what exactly is wrong with using the bluetooth+usb power setup? seems like you would be using the ipad interface and not the head unit to select music. maybe you just want to leave ipad in a bag? i dunno.

Sorry, long day and wasn't reading carefully enough. And I'm starting to think that the BT option might be the best/better way to go (I should have thought of that in the first place).

And I saw your '11 start date and thought you had an '11 Sportage :lol:

·
Registered
Sorento EX 2.4 2017
34 Posts
Hi, I just bought an ipod extension cable from dealextreme, which basically have a male ipod connector at one side and a femlae connector on the other. My idea is to be ble to put the iphone on the windshield over a holder.

One received it, I will post here if it works!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
105 Posts
Just a quick note, which I'm sure you are aware of. The quality of bluetooth audio streaming is far inferior compared to standard USB input. Bandwidth is lower, and I think its even in mono. I quickly stopped using BT audio streaming because it sounded lifeless. But if you like the convenience, go for it!

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
Just a quick note, which I'm sure you are aware of. The quality of bluetooth audio streaming is far inferior compared to standard USB input. Bandwidth is lower, and I think its even in mono. I quickly stopped using BT audio streaming because it sounded lifeless. But if you like the convenience, go for it!
sorry man, but this is 100% BS.

the bluetooth in these cars is BT 2.1 + EDR. which according to various sources is capable of "practical data rates" of around 2.1 mbit/s (2100kbit/s). that is more than enough to run stereo sound in high quality (which is recognized as ~ 320kbit/s>192kbit/s in digital formats). generally the lower quality sound is pushed out because of the (generally) lower quality of streaming/internet radio. occasionally there are options to only stream in high quality, but this will sometimes drop to lower automatically. some new ear pieces are still mono (utilizing BT 1.2 standard) and (duh, of course) phone conversations are mono.

that being said OP, i don't see any reason you can just use the headphone jack instead of bluetooth, which is much more simple and direct than the bt. also, it is an analog source, which we all know is far better for audio than digital.

one issue with using the stereo's usb plug is if you plug a "media device" (that is recognized by the stereo) into the usb, it will attempt to connect via that. the work around is 1) disable the data channel in a usb cable (aka, break it) or 2) use a dc-usb converter to power your ipad.

i have been trying to create some #1 for a while. very useful if you just want to get a charge off a usb without that host device (and my phone) trying to connect up.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
105 Posts
sorry man, but this is 100% BS.
Not to go off topic, or start an argument, but come over to my house, sit in my Sportage and you will clearly hear a difference between BT audio and USB audio with MP3s.

BT could be adequate for some, but it doesn't deliver full bandwidth quality sound like USB does.

·
Premium Member
12' Sportage SX AWD, 11' Ridgeline, 08' Smart, 05' 760li, 05' Insight, 94' Hummer H1.
19 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX 2.4 2017
34 Posts
I just want to inform that the extension cord have worked perfect. Now I put my iphone on the windshield (using a dock).

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX (Black Cherry), 2012 Piaggio Fly 50 4v (Midnight Blue)
52 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento EX 2.4 2017
34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts