Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This topic aims at making a list of existing features/equipements for the Sorento not available in North America but available elsewhere :

- Adaptive headlight system

- Front parking sensors

- Rain sensing front wipers

- Smart parallel park assist

- Front headlight washers

- Rear fog lights

- LED Daytime Running Lights

- LED high-mounted brake light

- AeroBlade-type front wipers

- Alloy pedals

- Lane departure warning

- Diesel engine and 3.5L V6

- Door handle light (and possibly interior lights come on) as approach and smart key

- Remote start via uvo app on smartphone

- Upper half of fog lamp assembly serves as another turn signal indicator

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Have heard that lane departure warning exists based on a camera in front of mirror but could not locate as a feature in English speaking countries - most likely candidate would be Korea.
Other options include manual transmission (implied in the Canadian manual) and noted diesel engine options in New Zealand; recall about 4 or 5 model options there, only one having what they call a petrol engine, restbeing diesel. They were only English country where found parallel parking assist.( checked sites for U.K., Australia and New Zealand.

Another option is for the door handle light (and possibly interior lights come on) as approach car and smart key is detected.
At least in Canada (not sure for U.S.), light only comes on when press unlock button; makes the door handle light kinda useless as no longer needed by time have pressed the button to unlock. I am not sure if light comes on if press the smart key unlock at a distance but point of smart key is not to have to spend time fishing for it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Have heard that lane departure warning exists based on a camera in front of mirror but could not locate as a feature in English speaking countries - most likely candidate would be Korea.
Other options include manual transmission (implied in the Canadian manual) and noted diesel engine options in New Zealand; recall about 4 or 5 model options there, only one having what they call a petrol engine, restbeing diesel. They were only English country where found parallel parking assist.( checked sites for U.K., Australia and New Zealand.

Another option is for the door handle light (and possibly interior lights come on) as approach car and smart key is detected.
At least in Canada (not sure for U.S.), light only comes on when press unlock button; makes the door handle light kinda useless as no longer needed by time have pressed the button to unlock. I am not sure if light comes on if press the smart key unlock at a distance but point of smart key is not to have to spend time fishing for it.
Check the user settings in the gauge for the "welcome light".

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re "Welcome light" function. Canadian manual says if the "Welcome Light" is checked in "User Settings" the welcome light function of the pocket lamp will be activated. I assume the pocket lamp is the on inside the door handle. Manual doesn't say what the activation does.
On the other hand, whether I have this item checked or not, the light comes on, BUT only when press the door unlock button. The close presence of the smart key does not activate the light. I be interested in the experience of other Canadian owners.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
Re "Welcome light" function. Canadian manual says if the "Welcome Light" is checked in "User Settings" the welcome light function of the pocket lamp will be activated. I assume the pocket lamp is the on inside the door handle. Manual doesn't say what the activation does.
On the other hand, whether I have this item checked or not, the light comes on, BUT only when press the door unlock button. The close presence of the smart key does not activate the light. I be interested in the experience of other Canadian owners.
I think I changed something in the speedometer settings when I first got the vehicle. I noticed the other night that the lights DO activate when I approach the vehicle before I press any buttons.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do I understand from what you are speaking about that the Canadian SX model has " door handle light " ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes, there is a light on the inside of driver's door handle. I have only been able to get it to come on (along with interior lights) when I press the unlock button. I have been trying to figure out if the Canadian version comes on when smart key is detected. So far, i have had no luck playing with the "Welcome light" Settings feature on or off.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, there is a light on the inside of driver's door handle. I have only been able to get it to come on (along with interior lights) when I press the unlock button. I have been trying to figure out if the Canadian version comes on when smart key is detected. So far, i have had no luck playing with the "Welcome light" Settings feature on or off.
Sounds like it's working for Moodib's Canadian SX, so their might be something wrong with yours. And fyi, there is also a light in the passenger side door handle :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Strangest thing. I turned off the "easy access" setting for the drivers seat as had someone sitting behind me as we left to go to dinner. When came back to the car the door handle light came on as approached the car. Proximity also worked when approached the passenger side. Clearly this should not be a connection so guess will need to report next time have the car into the dealer.

·
Registered
547 Posts
More confusing. Several hours after getting home, went back out to the car and the sensor did not work whereas it had earlier per previous post. Then changed the "Easy Entry" setting back on and the sensor worked - well sort of. It worked the first time I tried it. Then tried it again and it didn't. So seems that there is no consistency.
I don't see the operation of this light as a big deal as even in a pitch black garage, it isn't hard to find the door handle to press the botton; guess now more a principal of the thing- if it is supposed to work by proximity to the key,then it should.
As one more "test", after writing this post but before posting it, went back out to the car in the garage and the sensor worked. Will have to try this a few times after some delay to see if any consistency.
Until had turned off the "easy of entry" sensor earlier this evening it had not worked at all until pressed button.
Tried one more time after a few minutes and it worked again, so we'll see.
But does seem to establish that proximity works same as for U.S. models.
Having said that, think preferred approach of my previous car - a 2009 Toyota RAV4; no door light, but interior lights came on when key was sensed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mine has the old 3.5 V6
Interesting. Unique configuration through the world I guess.

Is the 3.5 V6 still offer in the 2104 Sorento in your country or it has been changed for the new 3.3 V6 ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I noticed not all countries refer to this model as the 2014 as when was looking up features in the U.K., Australia and New Zealand KIA websites; recall saw "Sorento R" and "New Sorento", so had to zero in on the vertical fog lights to know "the car" was what is a 2014 in North America.
Then as commented previously in this thread, in New Zealand, all engines but one are diesels, so engines are not consistent around the world.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
I've noticed the light in the door handle only lights up after I have locked the doors and walked a ways from the vehicle. Then when I re-approach, they light up again. If I simply get out and lock the vehicle and just stand there, the lights don't come on.

Another interesting thing is that if I use the key fob to unlock the doors, the HID lights turn on, but then I don't get the lights on the door handles.

·
Registered
Sorento EX 2014 (Saudi's 2013) AWD 3.5L V6, Civic '05
14 Posts
Interesting. Unique configuration through the world I guess.

Is the 3.5 V6 still offer in the 2104 Sorento in your country or it has been changed for the new 3.3 V6 ?
The 2014 model is actually released as a 2013 here... started selling around October 2012, if I'm not mistaken. No SX or SXL available. EX 3.5 V6 (yes, that's 3.5 V6 on a 2014 body as of this writing) 7-seater is their top trim which costs almost $30k, with front parking sensors and headlamp washer included. I must say though, that the EX has some features from SX, like 19in wheels, Xenon HID, LED tail lights, etc. but no UVO, sadly.

A cool feature i'll add to this thread that's available in this region: upper half of fog lamp assembly serves as another turn signal indicator.

* ha! sorry! that's a corner light... not just another turn signal indicator. Thanks Dharp123 for mentioning!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
The 2014 model is actually released as a 2013 here... started selling around October 2012, if I'm not mistaken. No SX or SXL available. EX 3.5 V6 (yes, that's 3.5 V6 on a 2014 body as of this writing) 7-seater is their top trim which costs almost $30k, with front parking sensors and headlamp washer included. I must say though, that the EX has some features from SX, like 19in wheels, Xenon HID, LED tail lights, etc. but no UVO, sadly.

A cool feature i'll add to this thread that's available in this region: upper half of fog lamp assembly serves as another turn signal indicator.
Interesting, wouldn't mind seeing some pictures in the picture thread. My girlfriend would love front parking sensors. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts