Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Sedona 2019
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without having to plow through the confusing manual does any one know how to set the internal lights so they come on when I open a door?

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
223 Posts
My wife and I battle over that button frequently. She turns it off, then I go looking for kids' water bottles or books or something after dark and open the side door to a dark van. Then I have to open the front door, click the button, then go back to the side door to resume my search.

A few days later: same thing, I open the side door to darkness,... lather, rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
2017 Forté 5 SX
68 Posts
My wife and I battle over that button frequently. She turns it off, then I go looking for kids' water bottles or books or something after dark and open the side door to a dark van. Then I have to open the front door, click the button, then go back to the side door to resume my search.

A few days later: same thing, I open the side door to darkness,... lather, rinse, repeat.
Your wife’s action is a safety thing; my wife read a post on FB. Women are encouraged to keep interior lights off to prevent them from becoming targets at night when they enter or exit their vehicles.

For her safety and peace of mind, you need to assume the interior lighting is switched off whenever you open the doors. Lather, rinse, repeat

NE Ohio USA
Kia Forté 5SX, 1600cc, 6-speed manual transmission

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
223 Posts
Your wife’s action is a safety thing; my wife read a post on FB. Women are encouraged to keep interior lights off to prevent them from becoming targets at night when they enter or exit their vehicles.

For her safety and peace of mind, you need to assume the interior lighting is switched off whenever you open the doors. Lather, rinse, repeat

NE Ohio USA
Kia Forté 5SX, 1600cc, 6-speed manual transmission
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. We live in a pretty safe area, so that hasn't been a concern of hers. It was more about the kids leaving the lights on, so she clicks the button off to shut them all off (even though I occasionally remind her that they go auto-off several seconds after locking).

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
150 Posts

The interior lights are too dim for that sort of stuff, even after I converted them to brighter LED bulbs. That's why I've got 20+ LED flashlights all over the house and garage. Some of them are bright enough to burn my retina. ;)

As for keeping the lights for safety, I'm not so sure that's better then shutting them off. Maintaining situational awareness at all times is far more important. That means keeping an eye on the surroundings outside the car before exiting. Having the interior lights on might actually be counter productive to that, as the lights inside the car could impede the view of outside the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts