Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some ideas on where to look. I am a tech at an independent shop and was given a 99 Sportage with running problems. Here is a history. He had it at the dealer and they could not fix it. They replaced the timing belt, coils, plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, and the MAF. He left with it running just as bad as it went in. It had no power, fouling plugs, white smoke(raw fuel), and misfire codes. I have had 3 other sportages come in my shop with simular issues and a fuel injection cleaning fixed them all. However mine was wores. I sent the injectors out to be cleaned and the flow test confirmed the problem was injectors. They were all well below 60% of spec and one was well below half. I got it all back together and it runs great. Now to my new problem. It will randomly lose power. It feels like i am losing fuel pressure but it is very abrupt. Every 10 feet it dies then picks right back up. You can floor it and it does nothing. Then it just goes away and runs great. I have no codes showing and it is very random. You can take 10 short test drives in a day and it might do it twice. Being there is no service port to check fuel pressure I haven't spent the time to hook a gauge in line yet. I will do that tomorrow to see if it is fuel pressure I am losing. It is very abrupt almost like a problem with the TPS. Has anyone else run into an issue with the TPS?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been having the same problem for about 1 yr. now. I have a 99 Sportage that either surges (high RPM in neutral at a stop) or almost dies when you take off from a stop. This is intermittent. The trouble code says a Mass Air Flow problem but I've changed that sensor and the same thing still happens. It is driving me crazy. Anyone with any ideas I would really like to hear them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed it. I replaced the fuel filter. I also used PB Blaster fuel treatment in the tank and filled it with super. I also determined that the coolant temp sensor was out of range. Runs great now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts