Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rondo 6 cylinder
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Everyone.

I own a 2007 KIA Rondo V6. I live in Rockford,IL. Mileage on the car is 43,200.

On occasions, and by that I mean once every 2 or 3 weeks approx., The car is hard to crank as if the battery was bad, no clicks, just sounds very promising to start but does not. I have changed the battery just 5 months ago and checked it to make sure and all is good. When I cannot start it the first time, I turn the key to the off position and try again with a little, very soft push of the gas pedal, and it starts. Between the time period it does not rough start, it starts fine and no check engine light comes on and no difference in the driving.

There was once, only one time when this happens every couple of weeks, I smelled a foul gas odor, then it went away. Other times no odor, just hard to start.

I had it checked at Auto Zone:confused and at a dealer. They cannot pull a code to work with and cannot seem to find the problem causing this.

Please help.

Thanks so much in advance

Anthony

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
have you had the charging system checked? Not sure on the V6 model but my 2.4L model, you were to never touch the gas pedal when starting the vehicle, no matter the conditions or temperature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the charging system looked at and it is ok. Just confused what it can be.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I'm confused. It doesn't crank, or it cranks but does not start? If it cranks but does not start, its not a battery issue. Does it happen more with a full tank of gas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It cranks, just does not start. This happens only about once every 1-2 weeks and it does it when the gas is half full, 3/4 full and full tank. The level of gas in the tank is not the culprit.

·
Banned
79 Posts
There are many things that can go wrong with a car and cause it to not start, but usually, it's one of two things. In order to start your car you need two things, a spark, and fuel. If you've checked the electrical system/starting system, battery etc, then you need to check your fuel system and fuel delivery system. Have the fuel pump and fuel filter checked, if you have a faulty fuel pump, or it is failing, stopping working intermittently, that could be why it's having starting problems only once every couple weeks etc, but will get more frequently worse if the pump is going. Also, it could be a clogged fuel filter, or faulty fuel filter.

So, if the electrical system is fine, have your fuel system checked, but you would think if you had the car in a proper garage/mechanic, they would have checked this already, tried to solve the entire problem, not just check the electrical and say 'well, the electric system is fine, don't know why it won't start for you ...' that's just half assed work I'm afraid.

Good luck, cars are a pain in the ass, but if you keep on top of problems, get it checked out properly, and maintain them, you can decrease the severity of pain in the ass lol!

·
Registered
07 rondo ex-v6 7seat, leather,sunroof.infinity 10 spkr audio,09 honda fit sport 5sp.
125 Posts
It has happened to me also,since new.I think it is the fuel pump,Which the 4cyl.model got replaced some years back.the v6 model never got replaced.Kia never answered the problem for us v6 owners:mad:Oh well just got to live with it.:cool:

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Yeah, I had my fuel pump replaced under warranty around 32K miles. The recall only applied to the 4cyl. Possibly the 6cyl used a different fuel pump model that wasn't prone to the early failure like the 4cyl versions?

·
Banned
79 Posts
I don't know for 100% sure, and don't quote me lol ... but I would imagine that a V6 - 6 cyl engine would require a different and maybe more powerful or upgraded fuel pump since it has basically an engine 1.5 times the size/power to supply fuel to? I know it isn't really 1.5 times the size, but there are 2 more (50% more) cylinders/fuel injectors it needs to pump fuel to so, logic would suggest that the pump would need to be more powerful, bigger, more substantial to get the fuel from the tank to the bigger engine, more lines, more distance and volume to pump fuel through etc ... this might be why 'our fuel pumps' in the V6 models might be a little better, or last longer but, if they used the same manufacturer, same brand etc, might be a reason why ultimately, both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl fuel pumps end up having problems? Mine is fine so far, but it's also brand new, less than 4000km on the car so far so, knock on wood, I haven't had this problem, yet ... lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts