Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 6 sp 4 cyl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 is having recent intermittent starting issues. Sitting in the driveway now as I don't want to get stranded when it acts up.

Battery seems good because when the motor turns over, it starts fine.

It reminded me of a problem with my motorbike, if I did not pull the clutch lever in all the way, the bike would not start.

Does the Sorento have an issue with a clutch switch? Or some other switch that may be faulty & interfering with the start?

If so, is there a way to test which one it could be? And a way to by-pass them?

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
684 Posts
We need more information and details about this.

Is it only starting issues? Are there any other symptoms that may or may not be related? Are there any common things when it doesn't start? For example, overnight is fine but if you try within an hour of last use, it doesn't start? If so and you let it cool down, then it starts fine?

You should search the forum and see other posts about this as there are more than a few. Might be a variety of issues.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 6 sp 4 cyl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other issues that I'm aware of.

About 4 weeks ago the hill descent light went on...not even sure I have this as its a manual transmission. And around 3 days prior, I had disconnected the negative terminal to see if that would reset the hill descent light.

I turn the key to on, and everything less the motor powers up fine. When the motor does crank, it does so with good speed, so I'm 99% sure its not a weak battery.

When it does start, its random, although now it does not start at all. Tried all kinds of combinations of clutch in/out, brake in/out, in gear, in neutral, in reverse, and the engine won't start. It just seems like a switch or loose wire issue. I won't get a chance to work on it for a bit as its stuck outside and -24C here today!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 6 sp 4 cyl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to adjust the clutch switch or bypass it with a jump wire? I'd like to get it going once so I could avoid a tow to the mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 is having recent intermittent starting issues. Sitting in the driveway now as I don't want to get stranded when it acts up.

Battery seems good because when the motor turns over, it starts fine.

It reminded me of a problem with my motorbike, if I did not pull the clutch lever in all the way, the bike would not start.

Does the Sorento have an issue with a clutch switch? Or some other switch that may be faulty & interfering with the start?

If so, is there a way to test which one it could be? And a way to by-pass them?

Thank you kindly.
Ok i have dealt with a winter starting issue for 2 years. After months at the dealership i did my own digging. What i found is the ground wire from the battery to the frame is connected to a fully painted surface. I checked around and many different models all have the same issue. And all have winter starting issues. When metal gets cold it shrinks and you are losing connection. I removed the wire took a wire brush to the painted surface and when i put the wire back on it actually arced at me unlike when i removed it. Since then zero starting issues. Idiot kia connected your main ground to a painted surface. Recommend checking this first.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
684 Posts
Ginge, one issue that can cause the no-start may be the brake switch. I believe there is a recall/TSB/service campaign about it. If the brake is not pressed, no-start. The brake switch is how this is communicated to the start-up logic. I believe that if the brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pressed, that is a good way to rule out that the brake switch is the issue. I also believe that if it's working properly, you hear a click when the brake pedal is depressed although I could be mistaken. There are other posts about the brake switch in this forum that would have more details. I believe it's a straightforward DIY project. It may be possible to bypass it...not sure. Definitely not a permanent fix.

Theim2323, not having a good ground as you described it could definitely cause issues such as a starting issue. From my recollection, I believe there is also a bulletin that described poor ground connections. When I read it, I don't think it really said what specifically to check and just said to check grounding points. I tried to search for it but could not find it, so I might be wrong about this.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,882 Posts
Ok i have dealt with a winter starting issue for 2 years. After months at the dealership i did my own digging. What i found is the ground wire from the battery to the frame is connected to a fully painted surface. I checked around and many different models all have the same issue. And all have winter starting issues. When metal gets cold it shrinks and you are losing connection. I removed the wire took a wire brush to the painted surface and when i put the wire back on it actually arced at me unlike when i removed it. Since then zero starting issues. Idiot kia connected your main ground to a painted surface. Recommend checking this first.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 6 sp 4 cyl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers fellas! Theim2323 - Interesting about the ground, it does jive with me wiggling the negative terminal cable and being ball less brass monkey cold out. The thing I'm not sure about is that all other electrical functions are working fine. Would a bad ground not effect those as well?

VIM - the brake lights come on. It's actually the brake light switch issue that got me thinking clutch switch. As mine is a manual, I have to press clutch to start (key start, not push-button), and now I feel foolish..I can't remember if I put my foot on the brake (excuse: this is my wife's car and I rarely drive it :) )

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 6 sp 4 cyl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so I braved the cold and pulled the ground wire. It was indeed primed under it. Sanded that off and likewise sanded the grounding 'prong'. Passed the sandpaper over the battery terminals and the inner face of the terminal clamps. Put it all back together, turned the key, nothing. Tried several times, nada.

At this point I go to rule out the battery. Give the Kia a boost from my Subaru. Nothing. Try cranking it a few more times, still nothing. But, I notice when I turn the Kia key to the start and hold it there, I can hear the RPM's drop on my Subaru. Repeated this a few more times, and each time the RPM's drop. So I think that means a load is being drawn from the donor battery and going...?? A capacitor somewhere? I go to try it again, and the Kia starts. Disconnect Subaru cables. Get the Kia turned around and into the garage. Shut it off, and start it again, works! Tried it this morning, worked again!

I still don't trust it fully, but am cautiously optimistic that it was a bad ground.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 6 sp 4 cyl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VIM - I've read a bunch of threads about the brake light switch, I think it may be at fault, but my symptoms don't seem to match perfectly.

1. Transmission stuck in park? No, its a 6 speed manual
2. Bypass by holding start button? No, its not equipped, its a key-turn-to-start
3. DBC (hill control) light on? Yes, regardless if DBC switch is on/off
4. TSC (traction control) light on? No, and it is equipped with it and it is working
5. Brake lights illuminate when brake is applied? Yes

There is a transport Canada recall on a "stop lamp switch" not sure if this is the same thing as the "brake switch":
Transport Canada Recall # 2013098
On certain vehicles, the stop lamp switch may fail and cause intermittent operation of the brake lights. Failure of the brake lights to illuminate when the brake pedal is depressed could result in a crash causing property damage and/or personal injury. Correction: Dealers will replace the switch.

If it is, the fact my brakelights are still working, does that indicate the switch is working to, or can it half-work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
684 Posts
I think the "stop lamp switch" is the "brake switch". I would think that if the brake lights come on, then it should be OK but I'm not sure. Maybe this switch is separate. Schematic diagram would tell you for sure.

It's interesting about the DBC light. Not normal.

So it cranks but it doesn't start. Is it getting gas...Is there spark...Does the computer think it's not turning over?

I had a problem with a crankshaft position sensor that was failing. Occasionally it would turn over and over and not start. There were other symptoms though. I did get a code stored at one point. However, I think it only threw a code once or twice. Did you check if there were any codes stored? I finally changed the crank sensor and the no-crank and other symptoms haven't occurred since then. Others have also changed their camshaft sensor(s). I didn't have to.

Not saying it's the sensors, just giving you other ideas.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento 6 sp 4 cyl
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No - it doesn't crank, but when it does, the engine fires up right away. I pulled up on the brake pedal, released it, mashed it down, and it started.

I'm going to get the VIN and see if the stop lamp recall work was ever done on this. If not, I'll have the dealer do it. Otherwise it doesn't look too hard to replace...famous last words!

I grabbed an OBD reader at princess auto and will plug that in. I imagine a bad switch would throw a code.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts