Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm John, a new member here. I have a (new to me) 09 Spectra EX.

This morning when I went to work, I went to unlock the car and the remote entry wouldn't work. I pushed several times and nothing happened. I was curious, so pushed for the trunk as well. The alarm went off, but I'm not sure if I hit the alarm button on the back.

Drove to work, and afterwards same thing, keyless entry wouldn't work, same for the trunk. No alarm this time.

When I got home, my wife told me that the car alarm went off for no reason last night. She went to get the remote and it turned off on its own.

Also, a few times about a month or so after I got it, the door chime would ring even though no lights were on, and the key was not in the ignition. I'd close the door, put the key in, turn it so the dash lights came on, turn it off, and it'd stop. It only did it a few times before it stopped.

Are these all related? I'm not so worried about getting it fixed right now unless it's simple and cheap. Or if there is a way to disable the alarm so I don't wake the neighbors that'd be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul, automatic, 108K miles
56 Posts
You obviously need new batteries in your remote. I acquired a used 2003 Spectra last March. The previous owner had disabled the 3rd party keyless entry and alarm system by cutting the wire to the siren!Apparently some previous owned had the alarm system installed by some incompetent installer and the valet switch is cable tied up under the dash to the steering column. There is no way to operate the switch while seated in the driver's seat. This is my next project, fixing the alarm system and moving the valet switch to a usable spot. I found the users manual for the alarm system online and all it's functions are programmed through the valet switch and ignition switch. When replacing the remote batteries, they will have to be reprogrammed to your system. Is yours a factory system, or 3rd party, and do you have the manual for it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, mine is a factory system. No manual outside of the owner's. I've just been manually pressing the lock button since and haven't had any problems. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts