Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 sorento. 18,717 miles.

Going through a parking lot slowly I heard a metal clanking like I drove over a piece of metal...rattle would come and go, going forward and in reverse, but not while idle. I stopped and looked underneath and saw nothing loose or caught/trapped anywhere. Started down the highway and as I went faster the noise went away. Then all of a sudden a loud whining/rubbing sound that fluctuated with my speed. When I got off an exit and stopped (still in drive) the noise stopped. I let it sit for an hour and then cranked and backed up slowly and the clanking started coming and going again. I am under warranty and will have it towed in tomorrow but I'm curious what is going on. Thank you.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Make sure you dont have the 4wd diff lock engaged as this will somtimes make some extra noise. If not then sounds like you need to make a trip to your service center to get it checked out. Good Luck hope its an easy fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll have it towed in Monday morning or tomorrow. It's a 2WD BTW. I know something serious is going on and i'm just curious what this could be....I'm not a happy Kia owner.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Was it coming from the engine area, the front suspension, rear? I saw you said u checked just making sure you looked in all wheel wells for debris.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
underneath in the front it sounds like...like around the front driver side wheel..or just inside that area

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
By any chance, you don't have the DBC "downhill braking control" on, do you? If the symbol is lit up green it's on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wanted to post the results: I had it towed in and the service tech said the shifter was clicking so he changed out the box...he drove it 15 miles and couldn't duplicate the noise I was hearing and said maybe a rock got caught up in the rotor...I don't know if I buy that but it's done fine since being serviced so....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts