Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard both from a lot of people. Is my 2001 Kia Sportage limited 2.0 DOHC an interference engine? I'm asking because the timing belt recently broke and i'm trying to plan what to expect with the reapir.

The mechanic that looked at the kia first said it was an interference engine.

The dealer said it's not

Advance auto said it is

Another forum said it's not

Someone please give me a final answer.....:(

·
Registered
99 2WD A/T Soft Top
20 Posts
The belt manufacturers say they are.So does Chilton's.

2 ways to tell.
Does the engine crank real fast like there's no compression? Sign #1.

Put a wrench on the crank pulley and turn the engine clockwise.Do you feel at least some compression and no valve resistance? Sign #2.

When you've found out for sure, let us know.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dealer said it's not??????? Is that it's not a interferance engine, or it's not a non-interferance engine?

According to KIA The engine is a non-interferance type, you should be able to just simply replace the belt, align the cams, and be on youre way!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mgbgt1972 said:
Dealer said it's not??????? Is that it's not a interferance engine, or it's not a non-interferance engine?

According to KIA The engine is a non-interferance type, you should be able to just simply replace the belt, align the cams, and be on youre way!
The dealer said it is a Non-interferance engine.

That's the answer I wanted to hear, thanks.

·
Registered
99 2WD A/T Soft Top
20 Posts
Kiajet52 said:
The dealer said it is a Non-interferance engine.

That's the answer I wanted to hear, thanks.
When all is said and done let us know.I see how confusing it is.

edited from article by Larry Carley, ImportCar, September 2001

Import interference engines include the following:

* Virtually all Acura and Honda 4-cylinder and V6 passenger car engines;
* 1994 and newer Audi 2.8L V6;
* 1998 & up Audi 1.8L;
* All BMW 2.5L and 2.7L 6-cylinder;
* All Hyundai 4-cylinder and V6 engines;
* Infiniti 3.0L V6;
* Isuzu 1.5L, 2.0L, 2.3L & 2.6L engines;
* Kia 2.0L in the Sportage,
* Mazda 2.0L in the MX-6 and 626, and the 3.0L V6 in the 929 and MPV;
* Most Mitsubishi engines, except the 1.8L, SOHC 2.0L 4-cylinder & SOHC 3.0L V6;
* All Nissan 4-cylinder and V6 engines;
* All Porsche engines;
* 1989-’94 Suzuki 1.3L DOHC;
* Toyota 1.5L Tercel engine;
* 1990-’92 Volkswagen 1.6L diesel; and
* Volvo 2.3L and 2.4L engines.
Unfortunately, the owners of many of these vehicles are totally unaware that their timing belt needs to be periodically replaced for preventive maintenance. The belt is out-of-sight and out-of-mind and, unless they read their owner’s manual (which few ever do) and see the replacement recommendation in black-and-white, they usually ignore the belt until it’s too late.

Another List

Interference engines .....
Virtually all Acura and Honda 4-cylinder and V6 passenger car engines;
Kia 2.0L "Sportage"
Mazda 2.0L in the MX-6 and 626, and the 3.0L V6 in the 929 and MPV;
Mitsubishi engines, except the 1.8L, SOHC (My Galant!) 2.0L 4-cylinder & SOHC 3.0L V6;
All Nissan 4-cylinder and V6 engines
All Porsche engines
1989-’94 Suzuki 1.3L DOHC
Toyota 1.5L Tercel
1990-’92 Volkswagen 1.6L diesel
Volvo 2.3L and 2.4L engines.
1994 and newer Audi 2.8L V6
1998 & newer Audi 1.8L
BMW 2.5L and 2.7L 6-cylinder
Hyundai 4-cylinder and V6 engines
Infiniti 3.0L V6
Isuzu 1.5L, 2.0L, 2.3L & 2.6L engines;

Try here.
Gates Timing Belts

What Dayco says.
Kia Parts 2001 Sportage 4WD DOHC16 Kia Timing Belt
Vehicle: 2000 – 2002 Kia Sportage
Brand: Dayco Timing Belt
Fits Engine – Chassis:
2.0L, 4 Cylinder, GAS, FI, VIN "3", 3FE, Interference Engine — Base, Water Pump Driven by Timing Belt
2.0L, 4 Cylinder, GAS, FI, VIN "3", 3FE, Interference Engine — EX, Water Pump Driven by Timing Belt
Part #: DY95281
Description: DAYCO TIMING BELT -- Timing Belt (Camshaft), Self-Lubricating Fabric Provides Exceptional Resistance To Abrasion, Resulting In Extended Pulley And Belt Life, The Molded COG Design Runs Quieter And Is More Economical Than Chain Drives, Our Premium, High Modulus Glass Fiber Non-Stretch Cord Delivers Precise Length Stability To Keep The Engine Running Smoothly Over The Life Of The Belt, The Belt?s Compounding And Tooth Configurations Are Designed For Specific Applications Ranging From Normal Service To High Performance And High Temperature Engines

Google this."Kia 2.0 DOHC interference engine?"

Hope its not.Just recently replaced mine to avoid it.Didn't test the theory when i had it apart.The Isuzu dealer told me the same thing about my 2.2L, but guess what it took out all 16 valves.Thats why i got right to it on my Sportage.

If you don't want to "SPIN ANYTHING" to find out why ask?
After the mechanic looks at it let us know whats really what.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sportage
2 Posts
I have an 01' sportage. Non-interference. I busted the timing belt maybe two months ago? Took maybe four hours or so to get it all back up and running, but yeah... such fun. The tow truck told me that it was interference and that I was heading up the road for a big bill.. Suckers..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BentBob said:
If you don't want to "SPIN ANYTHING" to find out why ask?
Trying to plan the work before I get started.

Since the dealer said it's a non-interferance engine i'm gonna go with that. Hopefully they're right.

I've already ordered a timing belt, idler & tensioner pulleys and a water pump. they should be here in a few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
412 Posts
There are alot of people saying it is or it isn't an interferane engine, tow truck drivers, belt company's, shade tree mechanics, non-Kia techs etc!

You want the correct answer go straight to the horses mouth! Honestly why are you even considering taking advise from a tow truck driver about a car he's never worked on?????

Anyways, check this link out for instructions on how to change the belt! http://www.kia-forums.com/do-yourself/28174-timing-belt-replacement-instructions-finally.html

·
Registered
195 Posts
Kiajet52 said:
You said you've been there done that.......Can you give us a few details? :)
My brother in law had bought a Sporty a few years back. It was a single cam motor. He left the maintaince go and poped a belt. Put a valve into a piston and bent some other valves.

Before I bought my Sporty I called KIA. (2002) Got lucky and talked to an engineer there and asked him if the new mortors (twin cam) were having any problems with valve interference. He said that they were not expecting and problems since Mazda also went to the twin overhead cam design. The Sporty engine is a Mazda design engine and this was one reason for the change from single to twin cams.

·
Registered
99 2WD A/T Soft Top
20 Posts
The piston is dished on the 2.0L and fly cut for the valves.So it looks like
non interference.Why everyone shows it to be?Better safe than sorry?

Originally Posted by Kiajet52
You said you've been there done that.......Can you give us a few details?

Do you want a how to,or the details of what happened when it blew?
You doing it yourself?

Did a little search and i see this has already been chewed.
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/36250-wtf-timing-belt.html?highlight=interference

This is a good How To.Same for the ones suggested.
Kia, TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT, Bob Dowie, ImportCar, June 2007

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BentBob said:
The piston is dished on the 2.0L and fly cut for the valves.So it looks like
non interference.Why everyone shows it to be?Better safe than sorry?

Originally Posted by Kiajet52
You said you've been there done that.......Can you give us a few details?

Do you want a how to,or the details of what happened when it blew?
You doing it yourself?

Did a little search and i see this has already been chewed.
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-1994-2002-sportage/36250-wtf-timing-belt.html?highlight=interference

This is a good How To.Same for the ones suggested.
Kia, TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT, Bob Dowie, ImportCar, June 2007
Here's my story.

A guy at work told me his daughter is selling a 2001 Kia Sportage Limited with 92,000 miles for $500 because the engine was damaged. After looking at the book value ($5000-$6000) I decided it would be a good way to make a little money, even if I had to replace the engine. After getting a few more details from her it turns out the timing belt broke. She said she called a mobile mechanic to look at it and he confirmed the belt was broke and told her it has an interferance engine and the valves were damaged also and possibly the pistons.

I bought the Kia, towed it home and started working on it. As of now everything I need to replace has been removed (Timing belt, idler & tensioner pulleys and the water pump) I am waiting on parts I ordered on Ebay to arrive, should be here on the 25th (belt and pulley kit $62 shipped, water pump $42).

In the meantime I've been cleaning, detailing and fixing a few odds & ends here & there to get it ready to sell.

To answer your question, I do plan on doing the work.

Thanks for the piston picture, it confirms it even more.

I was 95% sure this is not an interferance engine, I just wanted to confirm it with you guys.

·
Registered
99 2WD A/T Soft Top
20 Posts
Got the same kit from Ebay.PCI?Used one on my zoo too(couldn't find it anywhere else).
Good luck.If you need any, just ask.
Don't forget to let everyone know how it turns out.
Maybe some pics?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update!

BentBob said:
Got the same kit from Ebay.PCI?Used one on my zoo too(couldn't find it anywhere else).
Good luck.If you need any, just ask.
Don't forget to let everyone know how it turns out.
Maybe some pics?
Got the timing kit in the mail today. Installed it and fired up the Kia. Everything seems normal, no strange noises, idles good etc etc etc. I haven't took it for a test drive yet, still have a few things to button up and it's 3 am.

I must say, keeping the cams and crankshaft lined up was a real PITA. But I finally got it after putting the belt on and seeing where the cams needed to be, then I marked where they were, removed the belt and reinstalled where I wanted it. Made it much easier.

I think this answers the big question.......Non interferance?

I'll post again after the test drive.

·
Registered
99 2WD A/T Soft Top
20 Posts
Another positive outcome.Great to hear.
Yeah that T-belt takes 4 hands and a couple cloths pins.Or special tool #??????.With one person,you can hold the exhaust cam in place with your foot,if you have the dexterity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Test drove it today. It did good, still has a few issues I need to address.

-Needs a brake job. Wheels shimmy when braking.
-Previous owner thought the window washer tank was for the radiator overflow. There was antifreeze in it and the hood has antifreeze stains running down it, and a nasty film on the window. But not too bad.
-Discovered an oil leak coming from the oil filter housing.
-A strange road noise coming from the trunk area.
-Needs a radio.
-DS rear window wont move.

Still not a bad deal for $500. I should have less than $1000 in it before it's ready to sell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
all 98 to 2002 dohc Sportage motors are non interference. WHEN THE BELT BREAKS, YOU JUST COME TO A STOP. NOT MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT EXCEPT HOW TO GET HOME!? IT'S BEST TO CHANGE THE BELTS EVERY 60,000 MILES, BUT I'VE SEEN SEVERAL GO TO 100,000 BEFORE FAILING. I JUST REPLACED A TIMING BELT ON A 52,000 VEHICLE THAT STILL LOOKED LIKE NEW. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DAMAGING VALVES IF THE BELT BREAKS BEFORE YOU REPLACE IT.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.