Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heres one for ya guys - notice how most rio/accent/veloster purchasers site fuel economy as their big reason for purchasing? Also notice how your shift indicator is always telling you to to go to the next gear as soon as you hit 2000rpm? Basically the majority of us will never wind the engine very high - most users seem to be borderline hypermilers - What I'm getting at here is that DI engines are notorious for carbon build-up and if there was ever a car that benifited from high rpms it is ours. They need to see rpm's to keep clean. If you plan on keeping past the warranty period I'd think about winding it out every now and then...

Just a thought...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
rev it up vs 2000 rpm max.

Yes Good point. I try to redline mine every day after warm up & I use Shell gas too . Hope this DI carbon buildup issue won't be a problem in the future.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Whoever suggested the correct shift point is 2000 RPM just doesn't know how to drive.

Seems crazy to buy a car with a good engine and then cripple it by not using it as intended. Keeping between 2000 and 4000 RPM will let the engine breathe and give you smooth performance. I wouldn't "Redline it every day", but occasional bursts to 6000 RPM will do no harm.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
Whoever suggested the correct shift point is 2000 RPM just doesn't know how to drive.

Seems crazy to buy a car with a good engine and then cripple it by not using it as intended. Keeping between 2000 and 4000 RPM will let the engine breathe and give you smooth performance. I wouldn't "Redline it every day", but occasional bursts to 6000 RPM will do no harm.
Shift point indicators are for fuel economy only pure and simple. Above 2000 rpm you are using more fuel than is nessisary to get your car up to speed. Granted its a slow sometimes agonizingly long trip to get to speed but you will get there eventually.

I'm curious though, how does "red lining" or running your engine at high rpms help with carbon deposits on the valves? I know this was a common practice with carborated engines but since fuel never enters the intake, is it just the increase of air flow the " blows" the carbon off?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shift point indicators are for fuel economy only pure and simple. Above 2000 rpm you are using more fuel than is nessisary to get your car up to speed. Granted its a slow sometimes agonizingly long trip to get to speed but you will get there eventually.

I'm curious though, how does "red lining" or running your engine at high rpms help with carbon deposits on the valves? I know this was a common practice with carborated engines but since fuel never enters the intake, is it just the increase of air flow the " blows" the carbon off?
High air flow and increased friction. Faster makes for difficult catalization to valve surface. Remember, it's also helping the exhaust side valves as well.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WRY'CUDA .... Quote " Whoever suggested the correct shift point is 2000 RPM just doesn't know how to drive."

My car is an automatic & when in ECO mode it shifts @ 2000 RPM.So the car doesn't know how to drive? ;)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
My car is an automatic & when in ECO mode it shifts @ 2000 RPM.So the car doesn't know how to drive? ;)
You said it. I presume that you are talking about the Rio; you'd have to be very patient if you stuck to 2000 RPM. Live a little!

BTW, my neighbour has a 1927 RR and he never uses more than 1500 RPM. Starts off in top gear mostly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts