Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sorento BL with D4CB engine
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my intercooler is leaking on the drivers side where the tubes join the side tank. The same thing happened to my old Patrol but it was mounted on top of the engine and 4 bolts later it was off and fixed.
The intercooler on my 2009 Sorento diesel is jammed in under the radiator. Has anyone tried to remove this without removing the radiator and all the extra bits involved with that job?
I have replaced the two hoses that connect to the cooler as they were soggy and leaking. I used Silicone hose so that should last.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,854 Posts
I don't know about removing the intercooler but it does sound as if there is too much oil getting into the intake system. The only 'oil' that should be there is derived from the fumes off the PCV system (the hose off the top of the cam cover going into the air inlet.) Plus the 2009 (all facelifts) have an oil recovery system on the PCV, so that should be taken care of. Anything else is probably oil leaking past the turbo oil seals, which is not a good thing. Kia replaced my intercooler inlet pipe (for same reason as yours) under warranty, so we know they can be an issue. Have you identified exactly where the intercooler is leaking? If it is then it might also be losing turbo air pressure and affecting power delivery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about removing the intercooler but it does sound as if there is too much oil getting into the intake system. The only 'oil' that should be there is derived from the fumes off the PCV system (the hose off the top of the cam cover going into the air inlet.) Plus the 2009 (all facelifts) have an oil recovery system on the PCV, so that should be taken care of. Anything else is probably oil leaking past the turbo oil seals, which is not a good thing. Kia replaced my intercooler inlet pipe (for same reason as yours) under warranty, so we know they can be an issue. Have you identified exactly where the intercooler is leaking? If it is then it might also be losing turbo air pressure and affecting power delivery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gee6 for that. The leak is small but noticeable where the tubes meet the side tank. Moist but not running everywhere. there is a fair bit of oil in the intercooler hoses so it could be turbo oil seals. Much of a job to fix?.
I have a workshop manual on disc so I will see what they say to do there. The Diesel engine is only a supplement though so it might not give a insitu story on removal'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts