Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a intake for my Rio, a CAI would sit way to low for when it rains and snows here, so I was thinking I would go with a Short Ram. I found two on ebay but I am worried about being able to find replacement air filters for them such as a K&N.

Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

They look essentially the same but I would like to be able to throw a K&N on them instead of a diffrent filter. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
those supplied filters are no worse then the K&N filters since both filters use the "pleated Cotton media" which is the filtering element, its basically medical cotton gauze with a metal screen wrapped around the outside for structural integrety. Also using a K&N cleaning kit will nto harm it since its the same "technology".

performance wise that tilter will be the same as the K&N filter since it uses the same meterials and same design. So your not gonna have any gain for swapping that filter out, your just gonna lighten your wallet, thats all.

anyways make your own, its far cheaper, more rewarding and you control how you want it designed instead of having it predesigned.

also make sure the MAF (mas airflow sensor) is within 6 inches to a foot near the intake manifold. Also DONOT remove the screen in the MAf, you will lose power. Its there for a reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sometimes you have to be prepared for fitment issues with those Ebay kits. They are cheap in price but sometimes do not include everything needed to install them. Sometimes you don't get everything in the picture.

·
Registered
107 Posts
its better to make your own, cheaper, more reliable, better quality etc. Pretty much every mod I did was a do it yourself mod, I barely spent jack on them. The battery was more expensive then any of my mods.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra5
96 Posts
if yours is anything like my old 2002 i use a aem(i think) short ram for a honda worked great! loved it! on the road for work right now or i would give you year and model for short ram. but there wasnt much to it pipe with bend and cone filter. was 69$ at autozone or advancedauto.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts