Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Sportage, 4 Door, AT, 4x4. I need to remove the instrument cluster to change some bulbs. Almost there, however, I think there are a couple of screws I need to remove on the left lower side. I tried to remove the left side panel off the dash with no success. There is one screw on the left side that is easy to see. There are two screws by the hood pull, and there is the hood pull itself. With these items removed I still couldn't get this panel off. Is there something else I am missing. I hate to break things so it is all back together now. Help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
I removed it some times to replace the A/T position bulbs, to correct the fuel gauge indicator position and to check the fuel low level light. I just followed the instructions on kiatechinfo.com.

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
You have to remove the two plastic plugs on each side of the lower panel below the steering wheel. Then there are two plastic bolts that you remove to allow the panel to fall forward. It won't come completely off as there is the knee airbag attached to the panel.

Now there is a screw on the far left between that panel and the dash that has to be removed. It's a biatch to get to as there is no room for a screwdriver to fit. I use a 1/4" then head ratchet with a phillips socket to remove the screw.

After this you have to remove the three screws above the instrument cluster and pull the upper dash panel out. I think you will also need to pull the A/C control panel out. Make sure the steering wheel is tilted all the way down as you need all the room you can to get it up over the plastic steering column cover.

As many times as I have had my dash apart I would think I would remember every step but it's late. :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now there is a screw on the far left between that panel and the dash that has to be removed. It's a biatch to get to as there is no room for a screwdriver to fit. I use a 1/4" then head ratchet with a phillips socket to remove the screw.
This is the reason I want to remove the panel that is on the left side of the dash; it appears to be covering that screw. For some reason I can't get the panel on the left end of the dash off. Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed it some times to replace the A/T position bulbs, to correct the fuel gauge indicator position and to check the fuel low level light. I just followed the instructions on kiatechinfo.com.
Maybe I looked in the wrong spot, but the kiatech info is pretty generic. Remove screws and remove panel. No additional info. Anyway, I am sure I will figure it out eventually. Cheers..

·
Registered
'02 Sportage 2 door.
339 Posts
This is the reason I want to remove the panel that is on the left side of the dash; it appears to be covering that screw. For some reason I can't get the panel on the left end of the dash off. Thanks
Are you talking about the piece that wraps around the side with the cubby hole in it? If so that PITA screw I mentioned is what is holding it on :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you talking about the piece that wraps around the side with the cubby hole in it? If so that PITA screw I mentioned is what is holding it on :D
Is it below the mirror adjustment switch?:eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I put new tires on today. Going to take the Sporty on a trip, so I will tackle it again when I get back. Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from my 1000 mile trip with the Sporty. Ran like a champ. It was 100 degree weather all the way, so had the air on the whole time. No problems at all. Short wheel base keeps you awake!
I can tackle the dash again now..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts