Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento EX V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I’m new to the Kia Fam. I purchased a used 2017 Kia Sorento. The previous owner must have tried to clean the lens on the Instrument cluster with sandpaper or something. It’s scratched all to hell. I found where to purchase a replacement lens but can’t seem to figure out how the entire unit gets removed from the dash. Has anyone done it?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,071 Posts
Wow - sorry to hear about that. Can't be done without pulling the instrument panel since it must be installed from the back side, and THAT is a HUGE project. Are you asking for those instructions? If so, let me know, but I'm not sure you're going to want to tackle it.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento EX V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it’s that big of an undertaking it’s not worth it. I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
390 Posts
There are lots of automotive plastic cleaners/restorers out there - used many of them on the vinyl windows in convertible tops and with the proper amount of elbow grease work rather well. I bet you could get about 70% of the scratches out with the right chemicals - a whole lot easier than trying to remove the instrument panel.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX Turbo AWD
34 Posts
In my Sorento something vibrates behind the cluster at certain RPMs so I'm hoping to pop it out and look around. On my Santa Fe this was pretty easy but I'm not sure how to go about it on the Sorento.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there. I’m new to the Kia Fam. I purchased a used 2017 Kia Sorento. The previous owner must have tried to clean the lens on the Instrument cluster with sandpaper or something. It’s scratched all to hell. I found where to purchase a replacement lens but can’t seem to figure out how the entire unit gets removed from the dash. Has anyone done it?
You could use one of the many Head Light Restoring Kits that can be found at all Parts Stores and in the Automotive section at Walmart, they also sell one (Kit) at Harbor Freight if you have one of those near you,
These Kits are designed to remove Haze and Scratches from Plastic head Light Lens, which is similar to the Clear Instrument Cluster Lens. If you have never use one of these kits they are designed to be used with a Drill using the included Super fine Sand Paper and then finishing up with the included Polishing Compound, which removes the Scratches and returns the Plastic Lens to a Factory new look.
Now there is one other product you can try, which I have had great success with, that product is called "Blue Magic", it is a Super Fine Metal Polishing Compound that is used to polish Mag Wheels and other Chrome Parts, it comes in a little plastic jar about the size of Vick's Salve and can be found in the Auto Polish section at Walmart, I now use this instead of the more expensive Head Light Kits above, and it works as good if not better then the Kits, And the best thing about it is, you Do Not need to use a Drill with a Polishing Pad,
I would test it on a small area of your scratched cluster lens first just to be safe, and if it works go ahead and do the whole lens, First off just clean your Plastic lens with a Plastic safe cleaner, (Nothing that has Ammonia) in it, then using a Soft cloth or Micro Fiber pad apply a small dap of the cream to a small area that is scratched and use a swirling motion rub the cream into the area for a minute, then wipe it off, if it removes the scratches your good to go,
You should have no problems with this product because I have used it to restore Sun Hazed and scratched Plastic Head Light and Tail Light lens on both of our vehicles and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,071 Posts
It's going to be tricky, messy and tedious to use a headlight restoration kit inside on the dash display. Between the need for secondary power buffing and the liquid 'rouge' that gets used, it's either a LOT of elbow grease to do a decent job with a mess, or a very careful and equally tiresome elbow grease job to do it without the mess. It's more the thing you'd want to employ if you already had the plastic out of the dash.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In my Sorento something vibrates behind the cluster at certain RPMs so I'm hoping to pop it out and look around. On my Santa Fe this was pretty easy but I'm not sure how to go about it on the Sorento.
I meant to take a crack at this over the weekend but ran out of time.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion, that the cluster screws are hidden under vent covers on each side? Probably just have to use a pry tool on the vents and to expose screws?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I meant to take a crack at this over the weekend but ran out of time.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion, that the cluster screws are hidden under vent covers on each side? Probably just have to use a pry tool on the vents and to expose screws?
You may want to go to YouTube and type in the Question, That's where I went when I needed info on how to remove my GMC's Instrument Cluster, and they had about 10 different Videos on how to remove it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You may want to go to YouTube and type in the Question, That's where I went when I needed info on how to remove my GMC's Instrument Cluster, and they had about 10 different Videos on how to remove it.
I've tried a few times now and can only find results for the < 2016

I wish this was updated properly with 2016 stuff, but instead it's a mix of new and old with mostly old: Kia Sorento XM 2011-2020 Service Manual

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
237 Posts
rewen, yea that public URL is old and for the 2.4 engine. Attached are pics from for my 2015 SX they MAY differ for your 2016, but can get you started in the right direction. Sorry for the poor format, you may have to print out the pics and follow from steps 1 to 8 .

IP -1.JPG
IP-2.JPG
IP-3.JPG
ip-4.JPG
ip-5.JPG
ip-6.JPG

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
319 Posts
Now there is one other product you can try, which I have had great success with, that product is called "Blue Magic", it is a Super Fine Metal Polishing Compound that is used to polish Mag Wheels and other Chrome Parts, it comes in a little plastic jar about the size of Vick's Salve and can be found in the Auto Polish section at Walmart, I now use this instead of the more expensive Head Light Kits above, and it works as good if not better then the Kits, And the best thing about it is, you Do Not need to use a Drill with a Polishing Pad,
Great stuff, used it on a couple of old car headlights today ! Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great stuff, used it on a couple of old car headlights today ! Thank you.
Steve once you clean the Haze and Scratches out of your Head Lights and Tail lights you should apply a coating of Wax that has UV Protection in it, I found a product on Amazon called (303 Protectant) its and Interior & Exterior UV coating that comes in a 16oz Spray Bottle, that's made for Vinyl, Rubber and Plastic, it's also great on the inside Vinyl/Plastic Dash Board.
It seems to be working for me here in the hot Florida Sun, but you should reapply it every once and awhile if you run through rain or Snow.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento EX V6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought some Meguiars scratchX and just lazily did a pass with it

before

After

It definitely helped a bit. I’ll go back at it a few more times and post the result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Lord, the previous owners must have tried to use a Brillo Pad on the lens, those are some deep scratches. But the Meguiars has helped a lot, I think a couple more passes should do the trick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts