Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't use that often the Instant fuel consumption on the computer but I did tonight. Shouldn't have though. Couldn't believe my eyes at the numbers that were displayed. Full stop then pressing gently the gas pedal on the green light, the counter read: 41.5L/100km. On the next starts, the counter showed in that order: 37.8L/100km, 31.1L/100km. Then I put Eco On and got 29.8L/100km. Then I changed the reading to temperature. Was too flabbergasted and too upset and depressed. Needless to say that since I have the winter tires, mileage has made a huge bump passing from a plain 7.3L to 8.4-8.9-9.2 L/100km. All that after the 6000 km oil change and winter tires. Should I worry? Should I stay upset? Should I start to drink?

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
404 Posts
I don't use that often the Instant fuel consumption on the computer but I did tonight. Shouldn't have though. Couldn't believe my eyes at the numbers that were displayed. Full stop then pressing gently the gas pedal on the green light, the counter read: 41.5L/100km. On the next starts, the counter showed in that order: 37.8L/100km, 31.1L/100km. Then I put Eco On and got 29.8L/100km. Then I changed the reading to temperature. Was too flabbergasted and too upset and depressed. Needless to say that since I have the winter tires, mileage has made a huge bump passing from a plain 7.3L to 8.4-8.9-9.2 L/100km. All that after the 6000 km oil change and winter tires. Should I worry? Should I stay upset? Should I start to drink?
on my car instant fuel consumption meter only reads up to 20 L/100km on the bar chart. when starting from a stop, or idling in traffic, the consumption is very high because you are hardly moving, but still using gas.
that being said, there are many people out there getting rotten mileage similar to yours. but then again, there are some people who are getting really good mileage. it all makes me feel like there is a difference between people's cars out there... as far as i am concerned, the rio isn't the fuel efficient wonder that it was touted to be!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rio: fuel economy. No. Design. Yes.

on my car instant fuel consumption meter only reads up to 20 L/100km on the bar chart. when starting from a stop, or idling in traffic, the consumption is very high because you are hardly moving, but still using gas.
that being said, there are many people out there getting rotten mileage similar to yours. but then again, there are some people who are getting really good mileage. it all makes me feel like there is a difference between people's cars out there... as far as i am concerned, the rio isn't the fuel efficient wonder that it was touted to be!
Hi. I'm truly upset tonight. I admit I don't have nice things to say about Kia and my Rio. What I think is there are more people who have bad mileage with their Rio/Accent that people that have good mileage. I read the same bad fuel economy stories on every Rio/Accent forums. I'm starting to be upset to drive my Rio like a grandma in order to read 6.9L/100km. I'd like to have fun with this car. Until now I don't have much cause I bought it in the first place for low mileage. It has done little better than my old Neon 2000 with its awful 3 speed automatic and its 2.0L/132HP raucous engine. Could a 2012 fuel economy oriented car do so bad compared with a dinosaur like my Neon was with its outdated technology? And I'm not talking of all those squeaks when you press on the padded dash or the armrest on the door. And those small bumps on the road that make the car go in shock. To me, it's the most fragile car I ever owned. Already nervous a the idea of what will be this Kia in 5 years when my loan is finished. Probably will be the first and only Kia I will ever own. The sad sad thing is that many people told me I should not go with Kia. Not now. Maybe in 10 years but not now. Vey fragile cars. Sorry if I vent on the forum. Truly sorry. And I'm sorry for me too.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Instant Fuel Consumption only goes to 20L/100km, and doesn't show actual numbers, only a bar (unless the EX is different). You have to be referring to Average Fuel Consumption. If you are, in fact, getting 29 - 41 L/100km then there is a serious problem with your car. At that rate you would only get 100 - 200 or so km on a tank of gas. If that's the case then get your car into a dealer because there is a serious problem.

And as pointed out by LordHelmet, when you are idling or starting from a stop your fuel consumption will be terrible and will not be good until you are up to speed or no longer accelerating. This is true of ALL cars. A body at rest tends to stay at rest. You have to overcome basic physics to get your car rolling and that takes energy. It is Average, not Instant fuel economy you should be paying attention to.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Instant Fuel Consumption only goes to 20L/100km, and doesn't show actual numbers, only a bar (unless the EX is different). You have to be referring to Average Fuel Consumption. If you are, in fact, getting 29 - 41 L/100km then there is a serious problem with your car. At that rate you would only get 100 - 200 or so km on a tank of gas. If that's the case then get your car into a dealer because there is a serious problem.

And as pointed out by LordHelmet, when you are idling or starting from a stop your fuel consumption will be terrible and will not be good until you are up to speed or no longer accelerating. This is true of ALL cars. A body at rest tends to stay at rest. You have to overcome basic physics to get your car rolling and that takes energy. It is Average, not Instant fuel economy you should be paying attention to.
Hi again. The numbers are real. Believe me. I was so surprised, I could not believe my eyes. Sure I'm reverting back to watch Average. But in a nutshell, I've never been totally satisfied with my Rio since the start. It's noisy and squeaky and has some body parts that don't fit tight and all this and that. I may not have a lemon but I may have a unit that was not built as tightly as others on the line. That's what I think.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
whatever you do, never look at the instant!

Like marleyfan, I have a bar that goes to 20L/100 but its just so pointless...
accelerating gently from a start spikes it up to the end so I just don't watch it ever. I like rolling down a hill though and seeing the bar empty though :)

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX 6spd
59 Posts
I have my instant on all the time.

I see those sort of numbers when starting from a standstill all the time. Have a look next time you're going up a steep hill. Fuel consumption increases with engine load, and load is extremely high getting those 2500lbs or so rolling from a dead stop.

This is normal, and to be expected.

How long did you look at it? Once you reached your target velocity, it most likely dropped to something more realistic.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
My Sorento got 99.9L/100km from a standstill. If I kept the foot to the floor, I'd manage to have it showing 99.9 for two consecutive refreshes, then it'd go down to 70, 40, 30, etc.

Instant is instant. When you move off the line, you use a lot of fuel.
Its not defective. Its not a bad thing. Thats just how the INSTANT fuel consumption operates.
Now, if you required FULL power (100% torque) to go up an incline, doing roughly 5km/h for 100km, then yes, Racineur, your little Rio would use 41.5L to travel that 100km... But you don't require FULL power (100% torque) to travel at all, after you've started off from 0km/h to 5km/h.
Realistically, if you were to travel at 1km/h and use 1L/hr of fuel, your average consumption would be 60L/100km... Because 1L/hr x 60hrs = 60L/100km.
Same deal with 1L/hr @ 3km/h = 20L/100km.

Instant is instant, and L/100km is relative to speed and engine load.

In short - What did you seriously expect?!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Hi. I'm truly upset tonight. I admit I don't have nice things to say about Kia and my Rio. What I think is there are more people who have bad mileage with their Rio/Accent that people that have good mileage. I read the same bad fuel economy stories on every Rio/Accent forums. ...................The sad sad thing is that many people told me I should not go with Kia. Not now. Maybe in 10 years but not now. Very fragile cars. Sorry if I vent on the forum. Truly sorry. And I'm sorry for me too.
I think you are getting too obsessed with the fuel situation and its taking away from your enjoyment of the vehicle.
I don't have INSTANT FUEL CONSUMPTION on my Soul only AVERAGE, but in the situation you mention when you tried it doesn't surprise me, just where a lot of fuel can be used but as was mentioned its INSTANT, so it doesn't mean much only what is happening at that point. Cruising down the highway at 80 or 100 k try it then and see what you get.
I know when I pull out of a gas station and the AVERAGE resets it self you get figures like 27.1L or another time its 17.5L but soon drops rapidly and start seeing figures coming up fast of 9.1L, 8.3L, 7.5L etc, etc.

Maybe stop reading threads involving mileage :D Read other forums on other makes of vehicles I'm sure you will find complaints of poor mileage too, there is always someone who will complain, most don't that feel they are satisfied. Mine hasn't hit the claimed figures yet, but doesn't bother me all that much, never complained as I know how the figures are arrived at, and as was mentioned I just more interested in it getting better mileage than my previous vehicle, which it does.

A few dozen complaints on a forum about bad gas mileage does not mean that most people in these vehicles get poor mileage - it just means they are the most vocal. People generally do not complain if everything is okay, so you don't hear about it - doesn't make interesting reading :D

Maybe get a friend to drive your Rio for a bit and see what mileage they get.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx 6spd Manual
24 Posts
Yes do not pay ANY attention to those numbers. They are for entertainment or curiosity only. On my US rio I've seen it show as low as 15mpg, but also as high as 100mpg. Creeping while giving it gas always shows terrible numbers and coasting at high speeds show the holy grail of gas mileage. Even the average amount is usually 2-3mpg on my car. But that is typical for most cars with these type of mpg computers.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello and thanks for your replies. Mysticality you say "What did you expect"? Nothing actually. I was only much surprised to read the numbers. Good for all of you who saw IFC numbers for the first time and didn't jump. And good also for the tech savvy who can decipher the numbers on the fly. It's OK, I know better today. Just try to put yourselves in a newbie's shoes. I'll get over FE one day...

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
i should get royalties for recommending this ap so much..

if you have an iPhone or iPad download Road Trip:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/road-trip-lite-mpg-mileage/id299392794?mt=8

input your fuel figures over at least two or three tanks. Come back and post the figures here when you've done that. It will give you accurate figures. How many km/mi do you get from a tank? and what type of driving?

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 LX Manual, '15 ZX14R, Honda VFR800, Ducati 748, '87 Buick Grand National, '13 Subaru BRZ
101 Posts
"Instant fuel consumption: don't look, depressing"

Posts like this one make me thing that I have the best little rio in the world! Great mileage (38.5mpg average), fun, and dependable... but I'm only at 4,000 miles... should I start worrying now??? :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Posts like this one make me thing that I have the best little rio in the world! Great mileage (38.5mpg average), fun, and dependable... but I'm only at 4,000 miles... should I start worrying now???
No. Don't worry. I tend to be emotional at times :)...Sorry if I made you feel that way too. This was the first time I watched the Instant fuel consumption. Let's say I was very much surprised but people here on the forum have excellent explanations. It's all clear now. Enjoy your Rio. I'll do the same.

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts

Posts like this one make me thing that I have the best little rio in the world! Great mileage (38.5mpg average), fun, and dependable... but I'm only at 4,000 miles... should I start worrying now??? :)
Quite the opposite. ;)

Our Sorento was getting 750km/tank before the 30,000km service... 1,000km/tank after it. :)

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
My Rio is going towards 10,000 miles and the fuel economy is still improving. By now it is quite an improvement over my old Civic but yet, I keep my eyes on the average fuel economy display going insane each time my mpg is dropping by .1 :huh:

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts

LIAR! Mines the best one :p

Seriously though, I just hit 25,000k with mine and the economy is not the worst in the world. I drive it with no f's to give about the economy; economy is whatever is in my bank account.

I check the instant thing every now and then and have never seen it above 8.1 and for the type of driving the Kia goes through that is pretty good.

Kia is best on twisty roads, not sitting at the pump waiting to be filled up and calculated how its economy went.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts