Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2012 Si UB
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

I own a Kia Rio 2012 Si UB in Australia.

Just wondering have any one of you guys installed switchable DRLs where you can turn it on with a toggle switch at a driver's discretion? and if you do or know, can I have some advice on wiring? I am thinking of buying any led strips and a toggle switch from ebay but just have no idea how to wire them properly to connect the toggle switch at a driver's seat. Btw I got the idea from this website
DRL W13 LED White 2X Slim Daytime Running Lights FOG HID Head SMD Power Xenon B | eBay

I thought that would be great idea because especially at dawn driving and late afternoon or rainy days where you don't want to waste too much energy by turning on parking lights and just a LED DRL would be good enough to tell others that you are there.

All I could see was DRL with relayed with head lights so when you turn it off, DRL is kept on and when you turn it on, DRLs either dims to half strength or turns off.

By the way, it is not compulsory to have DRLs in Australia.

I was going to buy OEM Kia rio headlight from ebay for $600 something but that is too expensive and might have a go with this option first.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I thought that would be great idea because especially at dawn driving and late afternoon or rainy days where you don't want to waste too much energy by turning on parking lights and just a LED DRL would be good enough to tell others that you are there.

I was going to buy OEM Kia rio headlight from ebay for $600 something but that is too expensive and might have a go with this option first.
Don't look to parking lights to save energy. Normally 5W bulbs, so a fair array of them would be less than 50W (Current 4A, fused at 10A). That's not much if you're burning 50 kW just to keep the car moving. Factor of 1000.

No, I'm not fond of DRLs; a return to the 1970s "Look at me, look at me" Volvos with lights on during the daytime.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
No, I'm not fond of DRLs; a return to the 1970s "Look at me, look at me" Volvos with lights on during the daytime.
You DO know the reason for DRL's don't you? They increase visibility and reduce accidents. Particularly on those grey overcast and rainy days when many people can't be bothered to turn on headlights. That's why they are mandatory in Canada.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan
19 Posts
The DRLs on the rio sedan isnt very bright, can hardly be seen during the day like the sportage for example.. wish there was something that could be done about that :(

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
The DRLs on the rio sedan isnt very bright, can hardly be seen during the day like the sportage for example.. wish there was something that could be done about that :(
Don't have that problem with my wife's Rio - DRLs are just as bright as my Sportage!
I personally think the DRLs are a great idea - even if people don't turn on their lights in adverse conditions or highway driving, you can at least see them coming from some distance away. The sooner ADRs specify DRLs on ALL new cars, the better from a road safety aspect. And, yes, they are a much better than the 5w candles the earlier Volvos used to use!

·
Registered
595 Posts
@ brianlee - why don't you just run the power from the parking lights and make sure you run with these on everytime you drive.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SLi 'Latte' 6AT 1.6GDi
126 Posts
how about... 2YW 2WAY LED Front Headlight Lamp Reflector Module DIY KIT 12 RIO 5 | eBay ?

From what that looks like, its supposed to fit in place of your non LED parkers. Then again, if you don't fancy having to strip your lights apart, the original eBay option is good!
Just please, please, PLEASE aim them properly. It's frustrating when people make them flush with the curves of the car and the DRLs end up pointing out at an angle where they're totally useless in terms of full oncoming visibility.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
how about... 2YW 2WAY LED Front Headlight Lamp Reflector Module DIY KIT 12 RIO 5 | eBay ?

From what that looks like, its supposed to fit in place of your non LED parkers. Then again, if you don't fancy having to strip your lights apart, the original eBay option is good!
Just please, please, PLEASE aim them properly. It's frustrating when people make them flush with the curves of the car and the DRLs end up pointing out at an angle where they're totally useless in terms of full oncoming visibility.

Ebay is expensive... on exled's website, those are only $139 shipped to australia, vs $203. But yes, you'd have to open the headlight and wire yourself.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan
19 Posts
Don't have that problem with my wife's Rio - DRLs are just as bright as my Sportage!
I personally think the DRLs are a great idea - even if people don't turn on their lights in adverse conditions or highway driving, you can at least see them coming from some distance away. The sooner ADRs specify DRLs on ALL new cars, the better from a road safety aspect. And, yes, they are a much better than the 5w candles the earlier Volvos used to use!
is it the sedan or hatch? please post a pic of it during the day.. mine can hardly be seen in the sunshine :(

·
Registered
595 Posts
@ Kylen - wife drives a SLS 3 door hatchback. Will try to get a pic up when I actually see the car in daylight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts