Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio S 2012 (3-door hatchback)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered mudflaps for my Rio (3-door hatchback). Apparently, if I get the dealer to install these mud flaps for me, this will cost me AU$166 whereas the mudflaps themselves only cost $67. $100 for maybe a 20-minute labour! :eek:

I just wanted to ask if anyone here has installed mudflaps themselves on their Rio before. Is the process dangerous, or manageable by anyone? I have no experience in drilling a car (if this must be done to install the mudflaps). :(

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I have installed the little tiny mudflaps. On my 2013 Rio5. All I can remember, it took about 30 minutes and the wheels stayed on. If there was drilling involved, the wheels would have to come off. It was a very simple job, use small tools and its an easy job. A 1 on a 5 difficulty scale. So go ahead.

And the instructions should come with the set.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have installed the little tiny mudflaps. On my 2013 Rio5. All I can remember, it took about 30 minutes and the wheels stayed on. If there was drilling involved, the wheels would have to come off. It was a very simple job, use small tools and its an easy job. A 1 on a 5 difficulty scale. So go ahead.

And the instructions should come with the set.
Thanks mate. I will install them myself also!
Do you find the mudflats to be helpful for preventing water from splashing all over the car paint at all? My Rio is white and I'm always frustrated how easy the road grime gets picked up and leaves black marks on the paint when the roads are wet. :(

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Do you find the mudflats to be helpful :(
Simply. No. But they are a nice accent.

Helpful mudflaps would be the type on a lory (or over here, a semi). And I ain't doing that.

There is the pebble-guard along the rocker panels which is helpful against chip damage. Small consolation, I know.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
Maybe 3Ming the bottom side to the rear wheel well may help with rock chips. Kia only put a small triangular 3M patch at the rear wheel well (on the Koup) to minimize some of the rock damage. It needs a larger piece to full cover the area getting chipped up.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
Mine already came with, but I will say that they are marginal size at best...

I need to drive 1 km on gravel to get to my house so a pain keeping my new black car clean...
Would be nice if they made them a fraction larger to be more functional ...

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
same on my Soul, the fronts don't do a lot of good, so I installed a larger version that I got from Canadian Tire and installed them on top of the OEM.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Simply. No. But they are a nice accent.
Agree. They look "cute" but don't do anything to keep the road grime off my wife's Rio (as she keeps reminding me - time for a wash this weekend!)

I will try to have a look at what is involved, but don't think it would be anything terribly difficult for someone with a little general knowledge and room to move in their garage. Wife's car came with them included in the price, so can't comment on the dealer fit fees.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX
45 Posts
They were very easy to install. From memory the front use 3 screws and the rears 2 screws and a plastic locking pin. The kits include replacement screws and pins just in case. Wheels stay on and it's as simple as undoing the existing screws, put the splashguards in place and putting the new screws back in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys. I got the mudflaps today. They are easy to install, but got a bit complicated since I didn't have a proper right angle screwdriver. The screwdriver I have is right angle also but a bit too long so the wheel got in the way!

Surprising how these tiny things can cost quite a bit... and the material is just cheap plastic! They do look nice, but given how small they are, like everyone says, wouldn't do much to prevent road grime from getting all over the paint.

·
Registered
2013 RIO5, 2000 GMC Jimmy, 1996 Astro Van, 2004 New Beetle Convertible
126 Posts
I like what you did there conwelpic..
I have been thinking about adding something a little more functional, but stock looking ....
Mudflaps may not always be the prettiest accent but dinged up paint is much worse :(

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Post up some pix Kizzy!

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
it does depend on the design of the specific KIA model, as I also had the OEM mudflaps on my previous KIA, a Rondo and they did the job just fine without have to modify or change anything. I think in the case of my Soul and perhaps the Rio due to the lower rocker panel design a side skirt or small running board would solve most of the problems.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Here are some pictures. I do agree they do add a nice accent to the car but their functionality of preventing road grime would be limited. I will have to do the same thing that conwelpic did!
I'm not sure about the mud flaps but I like the rims.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it does depend on the design of the specific KIA model, as I also had the OEM mudflaps on my previous KIA, a Rondo and they did the job just fine without have to modify or change anything. I think in the case of my Soul and perhaps the Rio due to the lower rocker panel design a side skirt or small running board would solve most of the problems.
I guess Kia cared more about looks than functionality when they designed mud flaps for the Rio. How did you attach another larger mud flaps to the OEM ones on your Soul conwelpic?

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
I guess Kia cared more about looks than functionality when they designed mud flaps for the Rio. How did you attach another larger mud flaps to the OEM ones on your Soul conwelpic?
I placed it on top due to the design of the OEM which gives you a flat mounting area and also the fact it wrapped on the side too, also used the existing mounting points (lining up the new mudflap with the OEM and drilling the required holes), so only had to drill one new hole at the lower area right behind the tire (if you don't the new mudflap would rub on the tire) which was in the base of the OEM's and therefore you are only drilling into rubber and then used one of the new screws that came with the new mudflaps to hold it in place in that spot. This info could vary for the Rio

1 - 20 of 22 Posts