Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Like many others I am intrigued by these exotic nice bright LED map lights. But unlike most I didn't have a fixture to begin with as The RIO5 LX MODELS don't have front Map Light just the middle Dome light : [MOD deleted text]

I installed it myself . took me about an hour with some ghetto ass tools and cost for twin dome light with sunglasses holder was only $12 :D

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums... RIo5 2013 Sweetness/IMG_20121119_080723.jpg

I accomplished this mission for $12 took me less than an hour.
got the Kia RIo 2003 twin map light with sunglasses holder and even color matches. from the junk yard
http://www.picknpull.com/locations check their car inventory use 2003-2005 map light.
it fits purrrfect on the hump where the map light suppose to go on new kia rio5 2013 LX
wiring is simple just connect it to center dome light and run it thru the ceiling toward the front after you taken off visors, visor holders and rear view mirror, you can tell right away the lip of the upholstery ceiling gently pull it down to reach wiring you ran from dome light. I taped wiring to a tent pole is flexible, thin and sturdy to push wire to front from the center dome-light after you unscrew n remove the center dome light fixture. them make an smaller outline of 2003 map light fixture, and trace with pencil on the hump of ceiling and saw the hole out. i used a wine bottle opener on one side has a small saw lol. make the initial hole smaller then it should be so you can work your way out a little at at time. then when is perfect fitting and centered connect wiring to map light test it to make sure turns on and mount it on ceiling, screw back the visors, their holders n mirror as well center dome light and enjoy. ps led from amazon for like $3 depending on size.
I will post better pix later. I also installed 2 extra led lights in the trunk on each side cost $3 and super bright now. as well led on dome light for like $4 each i used 2 , even the glove compartment has led

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
CHEAP L.E.D.s the flat ones come with an array of adapters as well are self adhesive
for the center dome light I used two of the 48 SMD LED I just super glued them together and stuck one of the led prong into the back of the other one to make both work with out havin to solder or strip and electrical tape wires.

Amazon.com: NEEWER® T10 36 SMD LED Light Festoon Dome Bulb Lamp White 12V: Home Improvement
Amazon.com: 2pcs 31mm 12-SMD 1.25" 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs DE3175 DE3022 DE3021 3175 - White: Automotive
Amazon.com: BestDealUSA White Light Panel 48 SMD LED + Interior Bulb + T10 + BA9S Adapter Dome lamp 12V: Automotive

·
Registered
'13 Rio5 // LX Clear White w/ Pwr Pkg
83 Posts
Nicely done man!

I've been wanting to throw a panel of LED's in my dome light since Day 1.

Would you mind posting the link to which panel you bought?

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

my cutting/sawing tool for liner :p

just measure your new light, with pencil draw outline on ceiling liner and cut a smaller hole and work your way out little by little to make sure it will fit snug.

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the front Map light from a 2003 Kia Rio5 2003-2005 models have this exact map light I installed..
it's also awesome cuz it matches the ceiling bump in front on the 2012-2013 kia rios as well at junk yard it cost only $12 Pick-n-Pull Locations it's super easy to take off as well.

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as you see the liner is easy pulled down, but before cutting liner and running wire extension from center dome light to front, take off the visors, visors holders, the rear view mirror to you can pull the ceiling liner more and have space to work.

Light fixture has built in metal hooks on each side that will hold the fixture in place on liner, fixture also has 4 screw if you want to screw it some how. I didnt, and works great

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio EX
34 Posts
Another less invasive option would be to install a new mirror with map lights, auto dimming with compass...

...Under $100 is doable on alibaba.
I like your idea! Some 1996-2000 Chrysler Sebrings had map lights built into the rear view mirrors. That should be a bit cheaper (~$30 from a yard) for the people on tighter budgets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the link on the dome lights, I went ahead and ordered the 36LED one. :)

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another less invasive option would be to install a new mirror with map lights, auto dimming with compass.

CIPA 36301 Camlock Base Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror with Compass and Map Light | eBay

Under $100 is doable on alibaba.
around $12 today at junkyard or... $100+ from china and how many weeks for delivery? yes I have bought stuff from alibaba. and that mirror will also need wiring to power it up so will be intrusive too, as well it dont have sunglasses holder :'(

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link on the dome lights, I went ahead and ordered the 36LED one. :)
for the center dome light I used two of the 48 SMD LEDs I just super glued them together and stuck one of the led prong into the back of the other one to make both work with out havin to solder or strip and electrical tape wires. I uploaded pix on amzon when I reviewed the LEDs so you can see what Im talking about the prongs.

Amazon.com: BestDealUSA White Light Panel 48 SMD LED + Interior Bulb + T10 + BA9S Adapter Dome lamp 12V: Automotive

·
Registered
Rio5 2013 LX Manual
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are these dimmable ? I mean the normal Rio doomlight slownliy dims when you lock the car for 5-6 seconds.
yes they are , also you can make it so it's (door activated) or just on/off switch.. the center dome has 2 settings, off/on and (door activated)
I did it so it is just on&off and dimms off

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
461 Posts
around $12 today at junkyard or... $100+ from china and how many weeks for delivery? yes I have bought stuff from alibaba. and that mirror will also need wiring to power it up so will be intrusive too, as well it dont have sunglasses holder :'(
All good points - just wanted to offer an alternate viewpoint.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just installed my 36 LED Panel dome light just now, wow, what a difference! Everything looks so crisp under those lights!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts