Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

Starting this week I have a 2nd hand Kia Sportage 4 (07-2016) with LED daytime running lights and in addition halogen low beam (HB3) with lens / projector.
I would like to replace the low beam with LED or Xenon (The goal is better light and appearance of the car). I have received various prizes and advice and they all differ from each other.
I have received the following advice (from installation centers and dealers) with prices ranging from 129 to 350 dollar incl. VAT and assembly:

1. Halogen bulb replaced by LED bulb. Hereby I wonder if this does not cause a malfunction in the on-board computer due to broken light. Should such a power LED not be cooled (why else would complete LED sets be offered with cooling and canbus as offered at point 3).

2. Halogen lamp replaced by complete aftermarket Xenon set (incl. Canbus to prevent on-board computer error message).

3. Halogen lamp replaced by complete aftermarket LED set. At one dealer this is possible and the other indicates that the cooling + light might be too long for the housing.

Xenon would give slightly better light (4 times more light than halogen) but has a lesser lifespan (which is less, 3400 burning hours is still a lot). LED has a longer lifespan but slightly less light (3.5 times more light than halogen).

Does anyone have experience with this car and what is the best option (which option have you chosen and what is the result?).

·
Registered
766 Posts
One thing to always remember with vehicle lighting, specifically headlights is housing and lens designs.
As delivered from the factory, the housing and lens system is specifically designed and tuned for the type of lighting installed as is. When you switch from one type of light source to another, the housing and lens are not appropriate for that light. This leads to glare, blinding oncoming traffic and lesser visibility for you the driver. Many will swap lights and convince themselves it is better when it is not.

I totally get that people want to personalize their vehicle styling, but lighting affects not just appearance, but the safety of everyone else on the road.

The downside to all this is the plethora of badly designed products on the aftermarket and websites. To do all this correctly costs a lot more money than your are likely going to want to spend. There are a few good professional lighting shops out there who will carry out the required work to get it correct, but they are not common, and can be quite expensive.

Then, the predictable response to this will be I am a safety weenie and should mind my own business. To that I say, carry on as usual just be careful not to drag your knuckles too much and consider for just a moment how your actions can affect those around you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello pcguy,

Thank you for your feedback. Every help is welcome. I also think that safety is very important. I also don't like it when the lights on other cars blind me.
I am not going to install it myself but only at a official Kia dealer. The problem is i have been in contact with a couple of them and they all offer different solution as described in the first post.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Here is a great article discussing this topic. It gives a lot of good information for those considering upgrading their lighting.

https://www.lifewire.com/headlight-upgrades-4134867

It's not detail level information, but gives you basic information that will help you identify which dealers or shops are interested in doing it right, or just making a quick buck off of you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a 2019 EX AWD and the first upgrade I did was to replace the halogen headlight bulbs into HID. Purchased a kit of 55W HID A/C with CAN-Bus Decoder/error canceller and it worked perfect, no error messages or whatsoever. Also changed the Daytime Running bulbs into a 1157 LED as well as the position lights. Replaced too all interior lights into LED's. The rest of the non-leds will be replaced soon.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I purchased a 2019 EX AWD and the first upgrade I did was to replace the halogen headlight bulbs into HID. Purchased a kit of 55W HID A/C with CAN-Bus Decoder/error canceller and it worked perfect, no error messages or whatsoever. Also changed the Daytime Running bulbs into a 1157 LED as well as the position lights. Replaced too all interior lights into LED's. The rest of the non-leds will be replaced soon.
How hard was it to do the daytime running lights? I'm always paranoid about voiding the warranty but would love blue running lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I found the original halogen bulbs in my 17 Sportage LX were totally inadequate and I can understand why they got a poor rating in the safety tests. I replaced them with a set of Morimoto 2 stroke v2 LED lights and it was money well spent. I have crisp clean bright white light and plenty of light to the sides which is what I needed up here in Alaska because of the kamikaze Moose problem. These bulbs fit in the headlight housing unlike the other manufacturers I tried trying to save money. They also don't trip the computer headlight warning as the other ones I tried did. I have had these LED lights in half this winter and I'm very pleased with them as I am the Michelin X ICE3i tires I purchased. I now feel that I own the perfect car.

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's interesting you mentioned the poor rating they received for the lighting on the sportage. I wondered if they tested the base model, or one with the HID setup in them. The HID ones on the SX have the turning lights with steering input, I am not convinced it helps all that much, but the beam is well defined and bright. HID is very nice in comparison to halogen that's for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How hard was it to do the daytime running lights? I'm always paranoid about voiding the warranty but would love blue running lights.
Daytime running lights are just ordinary incandescent 1157 bulbs. Just wist off the bulb socket and remove the bulbs. Then insert the LED bulbs into the socket and install in reverse order.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Daytime running lights are just ordinary incandescent 1157 bulbs. Just wist off the bulb socket and remove the bulbs. Then insert the LED bulbs into the socket and install in reverse order.
Cool. I thought 1157 rang a bell from the old days. Back then we had the 1157's and I think 1040's. I think I would feel safe putting in blue bulbs
since they are simple bulbs and wont mess with the system.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cool. I thought 1157 rang a bell from the old days. Back then we had the 1157's and I think 1040's. I think I would feel safe putting in blue bulbs since they are simple bulbs and wont mess with the system.
This change might be illegal in your area. In Arizona and Texas any color lights other than white or amber on the front of the vehicle violate state law.

·
Registered
847 Posts
This change might be illegal in your area. In Arizona and Texas any color lights other than white or amber on the front of the vehicle violate state law.
I was actually pulled over and given a ticket for blue headlights on another car....

·
Registered
766 Posts
This whole blue lights thing became a problem back when HID first came out, people started retrofitting HID systems into projector lenses not designed for HID and it was causing them to be out of focus and having blue fringe to it around the edges. Then to make matters worse you started seeing regular halogen bulbs being sold with a blue tint to them to imitate the effect. thankfully that has seemed to fall out of favor, as I see very little of it on the roads now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good morning,

Starting this week I have a 2nd hand Kia Sportage 4 (07-2016) with LED daytime running lights and in addition halogen low beam (HB3) with lens / projector.

I would like to replace the low beam with LED or Xenon (The goal is better light and appearance of the car). I have received various prizes and advice and they all differ from each other.

I have received the following advice (from installation centers and dealers) with prices ranging from 129 to 350 dollar incl. VAT and assembly:

1. Halogen bulb replaced by LED bulb. Hereby I wonder if this does not cause a malfunction in the on-board computer due to broken light. Should such a power LED not be cooled (why else would complete LED sets be offered with cooling and canbus as offered at point 3).

2. Halogen lamp replaced by complete aftermarket Xenon set (incl. Canbus to prevent on-board computer error message).

3. Halogen lamp replaced by complete aftermarket LED set. At one dealer this is possible and the other indicates that the cooling + light might be too long for the housing.

Xenon would give slightly better light (4 times more light than halogen) but has a lesser lifespan (which is less, 3400 burning hours is still a lot). LED has a longer lifespan but slightly less light (3.5 times more light than halogen).

Does anyone have experience with this car and what is the best option (which option have you chosen and what is the result?).
If you have any experience with replacing bulbs you could easily mount an HID kit without hurting anything on the vehicle. I purchased a xentec hid kit from ebay (excellent aftermarket brand for hid bulbs and ballasts) for less than 40 bucks and installed it myself. It worked wonders. Hid'e won't turn any errors on bcm or anything, that's what the higher trims have installed too. Later on I plan to install led's but in that area I think it's more complicated because the lenses are concealed and aftermarket led's need to dissipate heat out, hence the reason most of them have fans on the back or heat dissipating materials.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good morning,

With a decent led, like Philips X-tremeUltinon Gen2, you can get lights that are equivalent to 35W HID. In high beam aplications leds are nice as they light up without any hesitation. With HID I usually use 70W ballast with lower wattage bulb (55W or even 35W) to get it fully light up faster. Unfourtunately bulb lifespan is shorter that way, but hi beams aren't used that much, so it's ok there. For low beams that have projector lens I usually use 55W ballast/55W bulb setup or even 70W/70W as the lens usually prohibits unwanted glare (and reduce luminousity by 30% with some aplications). Without lens I think 35W/35W HID is the maximum you can go.

With led you shouldn't be fooled with lumens or wattages they advertise. A good led has more to do with shape of the led mimicking original light emitting string of the halogen (like new Phillips does) and of course it needs good heat dissipation too. As leds are much colder than halogens with the same light output the heat can be dispersed within the projector assembly and the whole assembly will dissipate heat enough.

My 2016 Sportage has HIDs as original, but I'll use upgraded Phillips bulbs on it (essentially lower wattage bulbs with less lifespan). If that's not good enough I'll upgrade the original ballast to 55W. With High beam I have additional 200W led bar hidden inside the front bumper. At this time of summer I can't really test these lights as the Sun won't set for weeks up here. In the winter we have weeks when we don't see daylight at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The brightest led I have used has to be Enlight SolarFlare H11, which was put in an old VW Touareg fog light housing. My customer was complaining how bad the original HIDs are on his Touareg and after putting new upgraded Philips HID bulbs on the original projectors I convinsed that he can get additional light by using fog lights, but only with upgraded bulbs. Those Enlights were really expensive (postage,tax,customs) and their website kind of shady, but everything worked out fine in the end. Those small fog lights are now actually twice as bright as original HIDs with new upgraded bulbs. SolarFlare has 3 ZES chips in two rows totalling 6 chips on one side as Phillips uses only four in one row. That's the main reason they are getting more light out of that bulb, but as the light source in the bulb gets wider, there's a possibility that you produce more glare. In this case it worked perfect and there's a really nice cut in light like you expect on a fog light. I bet it also helped that those fog lights are located so high, thus you have better use of all that light. In Sportage 2016-> those fog lights are even higher than on Touareg.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The info in this thread doesn't make it very clear. If you have an LX with 9005 halogen bulbs and you're trying to switch to LED, which brands will 1) fit and 2) are bright?

I notice that while driving at night, my vision gets easily overpowered by incoming traffic. I can't see anything beyond the light from other vehicles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The info in this thread doesn't make it very clear. If you have an LX with 9005 halogen bulbs and you're trying to switch to LED, which brands will 1) fit and 2) are bright?

I notice that while driving at night, my vision gets easily overpowered by incoming traffic. I can't see anything beyond the light from other vehicles.
I have the same model as you and switched to aftermarket hid's. Got a set of slim ballasts and put everything inside each headlight, working great so far. I'm in the market for led's, but in other vehicles I've seen them die quickly or problems with the way they reflect light. I've seen a set in diode dynamics that supposedly is the best one according to them but I'm not paying $150 to try that out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same model as you and switched to aftermarket hid's. Got a set of slim ballasts and put everything inside each headlight, working great so far. I'm in the market for led's, but in other vehicles I've seen them die quickly or problems with the way they reflect light. I've seen a set in diode dynamics that supposedly is the best one according to them but I'm not paying $150 to try that out.
Which HID did you purchase? Please send a private message, if you need to.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts