Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The kit is supposded to be a Philips HID Kit but I'm not 100% sure whether or not it's genuine. 6000K output is white but do look a little bluish. In retrospect, I would have gone with the 4300K bulbs instead. The kit is plug and play and only takes a few minutes to install, the only cutting needed were the 1 inch holes in the headlight moisture caps for the wires to feed thru and for the rubber grommets that came on the wires.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
It's counterfeit Chinese junk. Philips doesn't make 6000K bulbs and they definitely don't make HID retrofit kits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read somewhere that they make them but they no longer sell them in the US. We'll see how long this kit will last. That ballast has Germany stamped on them but of course that doesn't mean anything.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
It's counterfeit Chinese junk. Philips doesn't make 6000K bulbs and they definitely don't make HID retrofit kits.
Wow.. Really?? Why not just say they look great and move on? Why would you put someone down like that... it is just sad that you would take something that they feel so proud for doing and call the product crap and then follow through that it is cheap and you imply he basically got ripped off.

Way to go!

BTW To the Original Poster.. THEY LOOK GREAT!! Seriously they do look great! :)

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
+1 they look great and the 6000k will have a slight blue color to them and 5000k would be white and i sure you will get use to them IPO the 6000k is the way to go. i have them om my 300C and very satisfied with the look i also put them in the fogs.i would bet most of the HID kits are made in china.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow.. Really?? Why not just say they look great and move on? Why would you put someone down like that... it is just sad that you would take something that they feel so proud for doing and call the product crap and then follow through that it is cheap and you imply he basically got ripped off.

Way to go!

Thank you!!
Thanks but no offense taken here.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
Do these kits not cause problems such as melting the light socket/housing etc? I know they can cause flickering and screw up the electronics within a vehicle but I thought I'd heard in the past that due to tons of heat they produce they can melt 'stuff'.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
Do these kits not cause problems such as melting the light socket/housing etc? I know they can cause flickering and screw up the electronics within a vehicle but I thought I'd heard in the past that due to tons of heat they produce they can melt 'stuff'.
they wont, as hids run cooler than halogens.. you only need relay harness and some capacitors to make it safe for the instrument panel module... or one of your turn signal stays on all the time even if your vehicle is off.. ipm cost 1000$ to replace.. hid products are sold mailnly by 3 areas europe-(philipps/osram-sylvainia/hella) japan-denso/matsushita, china -(all other brands) valeo i think europe still..

6000k on other drivers view/cutoff view- (cheap 50$ kit) cnlight -china

actual color..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No relays but i haven't noticed any issues thus far, we'll find out soon.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX V6 2WD Titanium/B&D leather
309 Posts

Way to go!

Thank you!!
Sadly,this is his MO...

Attachments

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Sadly,this is his MO...
Speak for yourself. The OP took no offense, and I meant no offense, but you felt the urge to post a personal attack nonetheless. Perhaps you might try practicing what you claim to be preaching.

Best,

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
No relays but i haven't noticed any issues thus far, we'll find out soon.
I also have a after market HID kit from japan, and it's connected without any additional harness or wiring

it all comes down to the quality of the HID kit you purchased

those new cheap ones from china that are between $30 to $50 sucks terribly, they start to dim down after a couple of months, or at worse cause trouble the kind of people are afraid of.

any legit authentic HID kit from reputable STORE (not online) sellers with warranty, will guaranteed lengthy brightness and problem free. they usually go for $180 and up

i'm in the process of adding another HID set to upgrade the FOG light and make it into an authentic Fog light rather than just a vanity display

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Warning

all hids are the same guys... pls listen... believe me.. i have tried them almost all.. original to copy one...
things to remember:

IPM: controlls all the lighting in our sorento...from dome lights- to headlights, the IPM only gives the wattage provided/rated for the headlights.. fogs etc.

BALLAST: draws a lot of power at start-up of the lights; it will stress out your wiring and your IPM; any hid branded or not the the igniter gives out more than 23,000 volts to ignite the bulb.. they draw 5-10 amps each hid ballast at start-up, our stock is about 4.5 each bulb, i know they draw less power only when bulb is ignited after a few seconds.. go ask an electrician or a shop that does this mods... application without relays is not advisable for vehicles with IPM instrument panel modules that dont have oem hid

take a look at this video;

an example of a denso ballast used in toyota/Lexus, their oem hid ballast.. take a look how much amps it draws at start, then draws less power after few seconds.. i know it draws less power after, but our sorentos are not stocked with hid.. it cannot handle the start-up for long.. its not built for our IPM.. just saying... fellow sorento owners.. look at the sticky thread regading problems with hids..

more info can be gathered at hidplanet.com or search about hids in the net if you guys like.. an advice..

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX AWD Titanium
28 Posts
kobi411 is absolutely right. You really need to wire your ballasts to the battery via relays or your IPM will fry. Mine did, I think because I park in a parking garage at work and in my garage at home so every day the auto sensor would turn the HID lights on at least twice.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
more info about hid..

just to add info about hid kits....
this is only based on my experience and research made...
in regards to hid, all are from china except a few.. (matsushita,denso ballasts oem of nissan and toyota)- from japan, (osram, philips, hella, valeo (i think)- europe... in regards to prices, they are all based/depending on how the ballast look like, presentation, casing gimmicks.. i have tried them all.. same quality.. i have bought an hid kit which was 50$ nothing was wrong ever since, and some spent over hundreds, same quality.. plus they say lifetime warranty, which includes the price of sending a new pair in the end if ever your present ones stops working... sometimes its 50/50 chances either they go for a long time (2yrs-up) or for a while (3mos-6mos)
and remember, and its always good to keep a pair as a spare if ever it gets sent for warranty replacements while waiting for two weeks to get it sent and shipped back to you...

i have talked to a chinese supplier before, and my my, he has all the ballast and bulbs that are sold for a lower price.. cnlight has the best quality for chinese made.. more info about hid is in hidplanet.com you will learn a lot from there.. from veteran users to custom installers...

that chinese seller offered ballast wholesale are sold to me for 10-12$ each, and bulbs are 8-10$.. and you will actually see those ballasts and bulbs in ebay and some websites that sells them.. and it is sold for more than 50-60% of the original price.. explore aliexpress/alibaba(dot)com or madeinchina(dot)com and guaranteed you will see same design and and quality on the expensive kit that you have...
BTW i dont sell them business is not my thing...
good luck with modification...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
one more thing, i had no error when i directly plugged mine in my stock wiring, (no relay harness) then one day my turn signal stayed on-all the time not blinking but solid on.. even my sorento was not running..
can-bus, is usually for european cars that detects error on the dash like (bulb-out) because hid at 35w is at 3.5 amps when running normal.. and normal 55w bulb is about 4.5 amps, other function; it also stabllizes current, avoid small flickering effect.- this is the function of can-bus hid kits..
but remember pls, while it's still early, put relay harnesses in your sorento... take care..

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
256 Posts
It does have bluish tint eh

heres my 4300k kit:

and a question for kobi:

I have a kit with canbus error canceler attached to it. what are the chance it would damage the IPM you speak of? Ive been running mine for about year and a half now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts