Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i made some mods to the front of the Rio today. i was going for the "vented" hood look.

story is i hit a deer square at ~40mph. fugger just jumped out, i was able to slow down, but i still got him. he was done, doa on the side of the road.

body guy estimated 5k in damages, so we shall see. :huh:

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna, 2013 Kia Rio5 SX
14 Posts
Wow, surprised the air bags didn't deploy! Good driving on your part, glad to hear you are ok!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
464 Posts
You should be covered and damage is minimal. Very lucky it didnt get the windscreen.

You will get a new front bar and bonnet. They wont repair those things these days they just put new ones in.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics do not tell the whole story. car needs a/c condensor, radiator, both headlights, hood, fenders are tweaked rad support and all plastic at minmum. at least $5000 damage. the car crumpled from the impact.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
My commute takes me past 200 square mile of federal arsenal and since they don't like bullets flying around over there, the deer population explodes. Hit two last year and one jumped over the new Rio5 last week.

A buck getting killed chasing after some does. Go figure. Some things never change.

Glad you're OK. Mine was 5k too.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
Apparently $5k is the magic number. A friend of mine hit one in his Elantra last week and that was hit total as well. At least those darn deer are consistant.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so, i killed some more wildlife today on the way home. there was a flock of birds on the ground after i rounded a corner, and most of them flew away, save for 2. hit one with the bumper, the other with the windshield.

i gotta get some KILLER rio badges made up...

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
I had the same issue with my Sedona. I live in Michigan, where EVERYONE has hit at least one deer, and many people have hit several. Creamed the sucker at 65 MPH, didn't even see him, just head the crunch. 10 point buck. Insurance totaled it, paid off $3,800 left on the loan, let me keep it, and cut me a check for $1,900. replaced the door, headlight, fender, and bumper for $800. All cosmetic damage (luckily). Used some plastic weld on the inner fender liner, and left the hood and rear door as-is. I will replace them at a later date. Luckily I had a spare headlight assembly lying around until I could get the parts. I can't believe they totaled it...but it does have 231,000 miles.

-
Someone commented about the airbags not deploying....why would they? The "advanced" airbags on this car deploy only if they would protect the occupant. The airbag control module senses impact as well as deceleration. If there is not significant deceleration, deploying the airbag would do no good. Basically, if you are in a crash and the airbag didn't deploy, the airbag would not have assisted in protecting the driver. I have NEVER heard of a car-deer collision severe enough that deploying an airbag would have been beneficial to the driver - and I live in the middle of the woods in northern Michigan. In older cars that had different systems of detecting crashes, an airbag deployed from hitting a deer was common...but in today's cars it is unheard of.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Greg..
Did they "salvage" it or did you keep a "clean" title?
Nice that you no longer have a car loan payment...
I drive a "salvaged" Spectra and it's been a very reliable car.
When the car hit (it looks like a) tree.. (wasn't mine at the time) the SRS fired only the passenger seat belt pyrotechnics. That accident damaged the right fender, right front door, bumper cover, outer tie rod end, A pillar, and windsheild (end of fender hit corner). Pushed in the door hinges 1/2". So the "smart" SRS did save a bunch by not deploying side curtain, seat air bag, passenger air bag.... Had the inner fender pulled about 1" (was rubbing the alternator pulley) and the door pillar 1/2".
Were you lucky enough to get the same color used parts? Painting the car is a large portion of repair expenses...although white is probably the easiest to match for the driveway mechanic...
Dave

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
I had to go about 300 miles away, but I found white parts. I don't know what happened to the title. The only thing I have done with it is get the bank to sign off on it. Other than that, I took it to the Secretary of State and they said there is no action needed on the title at this time. Insurance company never said anything.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Sounds like your title will remain un-branded...
Most insurance companies require the title be changed to "salvage" before issuing a check... At least the ones I have delt with...
Then again maybe they really were not worried about you making a big sum on reselling your car as it does have unusually high mileage...
Driving 300 miles was worth getting matching parts when you look at the cost to paint it...
One of your now paid car payments would pay for a white rear door also :)
Glad it worked out well for you...
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts