Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, wondering if anyone knows about ecm install

I took my truck to the shop and they told me a need a new ecm. because of ecm fail . a new one here is 2500.00 so i bought a used one off of ebay. the shop told me i have to get a new ecm and get it reflashed and reprogramed.

do you have to do this? or can i just plug it in a go?

the ecm i bought is from the same model and year, ie manual,air,abs etc etc (and ecm number)

my truck..... 2006 kia sorento usa model 4x4 air manual ,ecm number 3910639461

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,958 Posts
If the KIA is the same model/ engine/transmission/year/ part# ..
You will probably NOT need to get ANY reprogramming of the ECM other than possibly changing the VIN# that would be reported to an OBDII code reader...
We seldomly see bad ECMs here and usually the old one was NOT the problem the mechanic claimed it was... The replacement from the donor car will have to re-learn your driving habits and "re-tune" itself (idle/air-fuel mix/etc) but should not require much more than that.
Plug it in and see... AND please write back for others to learn from your experience.
The VIN is NOT important other than possibly causing problems with a Dealer or someone purchasing your car and getting a non-matching VIN when read.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats great.... thanks dave

i didnt think it would need reprograming either, just thought i would double check.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i did some pre searching and found that the ecm dont fail often, i treid to fix it myself with no luck so i had to take it to a shop the specialize in kia's. so it had a o2 sensor code....tried replacing the o2 sensor and still had the code. and the air bag light was on, then the pasenger airbag light went on and the 4x4 lights would flash and sometimes go on, when it was not engaged. so took it to the shop and they messed around with it and found that soon as voltage went to the ecm o2 driver it would fail and run in a (safe mode) all the o2 sensor were fine and the wiring (they checked) it would fail soon as power went to the ecm. so they said it was the ecm. i just bought one off ebay and going to throw it in and see. hope it works lol

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,958 Posts
Air bag lights and 4x4 lights are probably NOT controlled by the ECM..
Air bag by SRS module, 4x4 lights TCM. What's the voltage comming off the battery with the engine running? These modules can get really flacky if the car's battery/alternator voltage is too low or if you have a bad ground (return) line.
You may have more than one problem...
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not too sure about the voltage, dont have a meter. i know the battery is new and the cables and not rusty and grounds are clean and tight. 2 different shops have looked at it and both said it was the ecm. now maybe the modules too or alternator ekkkkkkk. it does have 102 miles on it. we have had it for 3 years and have not replaced the alternator. been no signs of low voltage tho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts