Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio 1.4 16v dohc
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i want to install the dashboard (gauge cluster) light dimmer... I noticed that the location of wheel is only one and only the base version have the dimmer, others have electric headlight regulator.....

I want to know if is possible to install the dimmer in some way and if there is the connector or i must modify the cables... This afternoon i want to check if there is the connector hidden somewhere!!!

If someone has already made this change, let me know... Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I noticed that the fuse 30 (10 ampere) is signed as backlight for cluster, ac, clock, ecc... If there isn't the original dimmer connector i want to try to insert a fake fuse with 2 cable and connect in serial a trimmer and a fuse box to insert a real 10 ampere fuse.

I will update you when I make the checks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked the fuse 30 and remove the current to all instrument, not only light.... i also had a quick look and there isn't the connector for dimmer :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some good news.... I find the plug that connect all light cable. is located on the right side of steering can, near key cylinder. Is hidden behind a metal plate and locked with a plastic clip. It have 10-12 beige cable and maby black. At my car, that doesn't have dimmer, there is a cup with 2 elettrical bridge (on close all beige and the other close all black). If i remove the cup with bridge all light remain off (gauge cluster, a/c, windows buttons) except for clock that probably is differently powered. I think that the dimmer version have a different cup with extra cables that going to dimmer, or dimmer unit if there is one. Now i must see if the kia sells extra cables from plug to dimmer and the dimmer in Italy.

Any helps by those who have a version with dimmer is appreciated :)

Byeee

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kia doesn't sell in europe cables, connector and dimmer rheostat because is not expected in europeans version, so i made all myself. I bought a pwm dimmer on ebay and, when i receive the dimmer, i will connect in someway... Considering that the plug have only 2 electrical bridge i expect that one of beige cable is 12 volt and one of black is the ground to intercept.

bye!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dash dimmer installed :D As i tough on the plug with bridge only 1 beige is 12 volt and 1 the ground. I've cutted it, inserted new plug with faston and bypassed it with a 12 volt pwm dimmer (easly findable on ebay or electrical store). I mounted the rheostat into the hole under the foglight buttons.... Unfortunately I could not take photos because it became early night

1 - 6 of 6 Posts