Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay… I’m there!!!

Wow – it has been a short while since I made my last post but I finally have the solution!!!

The reason for the delay was due to me trying to establish whether or not the FP-03-03 fascia would fit my 1999 Sedona, as the retailers state that it is for models manufactured after 2000. Fortunately it does fit, so is likely to fit all Sedonas of any year. Another problem I had was trying to get a stalk adapter – but this was something I couldn’t get round easily.

Although I’ve had to sacrifice the retention of my stalk controls, the good news is that installing a DIN Sat Nav is every bit as easy as installing a standard car radio. This is providing you buy the excellent Blaupunkt Freestyler, retailing at around £299.99. The bonus being that it does not require any wiring to the pulse sensor or reversing light. This is a huge advantage should you change vehicle in the future as it can easily be removed.

Another thing to be aware of is that the double din socket is not actually double din!!

Therefore, if you want to fit a multi-changer then you will have to install it in the passenger footwell or other suitable location.

So, in order to install the Freestyler, you will need the following equipment:

Blaupunkt Freestyler (£299.99 - plus £9.99 delivery):

Click Here

Kia Sedona Wiring Adapter (£9.99 – no delivery charge if ordered with the Freestyler):

Click Here

FP-03-03 Fascia (£5.60 – plus £4.00 delivery):

Click Here

Standard Aerial to ISO Adapter (£1.99 – plus £2.50 delivery):

Click Here

The overall delivered price for the Sat Nav system, fascia, wiring adapter and aerial adapter is currently £334.06 (plus about another £70.00-£100.00 if you want a multi-changer, depending on where you get one from).

This, in my opinion, being much better, easier and cheaper than buying and having it professionally fitted locally. I’ve seen similar systems fitted at £599.99 – so is almost half that price!!!

Installation

This will cover the Sat Nav itself, and not the addition of a Blaupunkt multi-changer. However, this should be straight forward if you prefer this option as it just plugs straight into the back of the Sat Nav unit.

Removing the existing radio

To remove the existing radio, pull out the ashtray and pull firmly on the plastic surround. You will find it will clip off. Pull the clip off from under the lighter so you can ease the plastic surround over the gear stick (be it manual or automatic). I left the buttons to the right of the plastic surround attached as I had sufficient room to undo the four screws that hold the radio in place.

Pull the radio out until you are able to get to the car harness adapter and aerial cable. Take them out of the radio and it will then come free.

TIP: If your alarm goes off, put the keys in the ignition to stop it!!

Install Sat Nav Antenna

I though that this was going to be a real pain, especially when I couldn’t feed the cable between the dash and the windscreen!!!

Fortunately, there is a plastic grommet on either side of the windscreen air vents. Remove the one from the passenger side, and then take everything out of the storage holder in the passenger footwell. Press the sides in so it drops all the way down and you can see behind it. Look up, and you should see daylight from where you removed the grommet.

Place the antenna in the centre of the dash, between the windscreen and air vent. Run the cable across the air vent to the hole where the grommet was removed on the passenger side and feed the cable through.

You should see it drop through into the footwell. Run it across and behind the centre console to the aerial cable and car harness adapter where the radio fits. Coil any surplus cable behind the storage holder and put the storage holder back in place.

Install The Sat Nav

Fit the FP-03-03 fascia, but do not fully tighten screws yet. Insert the Sat Nav cage into the fascia adapter and bend the metal prongs to hold it in place. Ensure that the aerial cable, antenna and harness adapter are fed through the cage and attach the Blaupunkt wiring harness to the car harness adapter. This will then fit straight into the back of the Sat Nav unit. As the standard aerial cable needs to be converted to ISO, you will need to attach the aerial adapter so it will fit into the Sat Nav unit. Once attached, connect the antenna.

Gently, push the unit backward until you hear it clip into place. Tighten up the four screws and re-position the plastic surround. Re-connect the lighter clip then press all the clips on the plastic surround firmly in place. Finally, put the ashtray back.

You are done!!

As a relatively inexperienced installer of car radios, I was really pleased that the whole process only took me about 45 minutes from start to finish!!! It also saved me a small fortune in having it professionally fitted.

I hope you find this useful, and would be very interested to hear from anyone who has followed these instructions to see if it went as smoothly for them as it did for me.

I would also appreciate and comments to help make these instructions easier to follow

Kind Regards
Muppet

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cheers Muppet!
If you want to add a autochanger theres a nice gap in the carpet underlay where the floor angles up to the pedals that you can run a autochanger lead and then plenty of room down the sill to under the driver seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts